The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
NW_Ryker

I have an axle leak!

Hey everyone,
I went wheeling yesterday in my 71 Blazer and ended up getting stuck pretty bad.

Anyway, I got it out after sitting in that water for about 2 and a half hours and today I find two puddles just on the inside of both front tires, accompanied with a godawful smell. After a little detective work I concluded it was differential fluid and it was coming out where the diff tube ends. How labor intensive is replacing these? Can I do this at home or do I need to take it to a shop?
Thanks in advance.
NW_Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
oldspowered67C10

Re: I have an axle leak!

I believe those had a 10 bolt or a dana 44 front axle and the seal is in the axle tube by the diff. Not too hard to do but not as easy as a rear axle. Have to pull apart the front hubs, pull the axles and drop the diff out to acces the inboard end of the axle tubes. Then using a long extension and a socket, drive the new seals in from the opposite side. Others might have a better way to do it.
oldspowered67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
bowtie72

Re: I have an axle leak!

I would drain the front diff and check for water. If you find water this will throw off the level of liquid in your diff and make these things leak. If there is no water inside I wouldn't worry about replacing the seals. Sounds like your tubes filled with that stinky water. In my experiences I have never had these seals fail. I have been stuck several times. But that doesnt mean yours aren't. I would make sure your axle vent line is in good shape and runs up to somewhere around your battery. This will help keep water out of your diff.