The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Batman

Easier to reach Trans Dipstick?

I've done a bunch of searches on this forum and elsewhere and can't really find any info on this. I believe this is particular to the 4x4s and their chassis layout. I'm sure it's just whining and I should probably get over it, but this really annoys me. It is hard to reach the transmission dipstick on my truck, it's a mostly stock '72 4x4 with a TH350. I've heard an old buddy in passing mention I should find a van dipstick to throw on this thing and that'll bring the dipstick out to the front of the engine. I can't seem to find any info or pictures on whether or not that will actually work. This has got to be an even bigger issue for the lifted guys. Anyone here have any suggestions on making the tranny dipstick easier to reach? Right now I have to find at least a cinder block or something, and then stretch myself over the passenger fender and I can just snag the handle, then I pray the spark plug wires don't get in my way.

Thanks!