The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
gag1025

New Parking Brake Using The Old Bar Part 2

I forgot to add 2 pictures showing the bar. We bolted a bracket using angle and glued a rubber shock pad to decrease the rod banging against the frame member when the parking brake tension is released.
Attached Images

gag1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
BrianDamage

Re: New Parking Brake Using The Old Bar Part 2

I thought that had to be what that bar was for! COOL

Your frame looks great, what's it coated with?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
gag1025

This frame was sand blasted then powder coated. After we put on the parts (IFS, Camaro rear differential, parking brake system, etc.) we went back and sprayed a coat of POR-15 to make everytjhing look the same as well as cover up any blimishes. As you know, the original parking brake system had a rod that attached the foot pedal to the frame bar. We are using the kick panel mounted parking brake pedal assembly (from a modern truck) and a cable that will attach to the bar tab. We will probably use a non adjusting clevis to hook up the cable to the tab. I will send pictures as sooon as we get this part completed. My friend on the other hand is using the parking brake from a 1985 Chevy truck for his '53 5 window Chevy truck.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
jcspaek009

So is he using the hole parking brake set up from the 85? (Peddle, lines ext,)Reason is I need to install a parking brake on my 1950 chev for a safety so just wondering how hard it is to install. By the way your frame is looking mint!! Good job.
Posted via Mobile Device
2007 Saturn Outlook
2008 Yz250f
jcspaek009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcspaek009 View Post
So is he using the hole parking brake set up from the 85? (Peddle, lines ext,)Reason is I need to install a parking brake on my 1950 chev for a safety so just wondering how hard it is to install. By the way your frame is looking mint!! Good job.
Posted via Mobile Device
the way read it the front parts {from the pedal to the cross bar}are stock he modifyed the stock cable brackets to fit the newer cables to the rear brakes.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
gag1025

Thanks jcspaek009. You are correct. He is going to use the entire '85 setup. Since the parking brake pedal assembly is the same ones used in all late model Chevy cars and trucks (even my 2005) any late model system will work. They are all pretty much work on the the same principle. If the cable is too long it is easy to shorten it and make a new end stop. We did this on both of the cables shown in my setup. We just took a grade 8 bolt the same diameter as the crimped on stock variety and drilled a hole through the center and welded the cable on the end. He is using the 1985 one because he already had it. Many show trucks do not even have the parking brake attached, but I feel much safer with it being in my truck and functional. It will be this fall before we get to his project but I will post pictures of his parking brake setup ASAP.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
gag1025

mknittle
Actually you are talking about my truck and you are correct. jcspaek009 is talking about the '85 Chevy system my friend is using on his truck. Because he is using the '85 system he gave me the cross member assembly (the part mine was missing) which is allowing me to set up the parking brake system I wanted to use. MIne is a combination of modern and old. His is a complete '85 system. I can see how you got the two confused since I was talking about both trucks and both systems in the same post. That was my fault.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
mr48chev

Nice work.

On the 48 I mounted a park brake pedal out of a doner car on the kick panel & firewall as it was mounted in the doner car and ran the cable through the hole where the original pedal went through the floor and made a cover plate for the hole.

I used everything I could off the doner car that I could and mounted it pretty close as to it was mounted in the doner car.

You can buy sleeves or ferules at the hardware store or machine shop to crimp on the cable if you need to shorten it.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
gag1025

Using sleeves or ferules from a hardware store is ok but make sure they are not aluminum or another soft metal which will pull right through after enough tension is applied. We used grade 8 bolt material which will prevent that from happening. We decided to weld the cable on because trying to crimp grade 8 material is impossible. They use crimping machines at the factory to do this. Most machine shops do not have the equipment to do this. I got the welding idea from a friend who is a machinist and welder. Better to be safe than sorry. If what we are doing is overkill then overkill it will be.