The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
RexDodge

passenger side vent missing spring?

Hey guys. This is a picture of my passenger side vent flap (71 C10 with factory a/c). The boss on the flap has a hole in it like maybe there is a spring missing. Can anyone confirm whether or not there is supposed to be a spring and how does it mount?
Attached Images

RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
dhaymaker

Re: passenger side vent missing spring?

With factory A/C, there is a vacuum modulator (correct term??) controlling the vent door. There should also be a spring connected from the pod to the door. The spring helps control door movement against pressure on the door.

Found out, while looking to see if I could answer your question, my spring is BROKEN! lol Now, I'll know to fix it.

I'll try to get a quick picture and post it for you.

don

"The DRBMan"

2014 Audi A4 (The Wife's Daily Driver)
2017 HD Ultra (The Cruiser)
2003 HD Fatboy (The Ride)
2001 Chevy Suburban (Another back up!!)

For the first time in forever, not a single 67-72 Chevy truck, Blazer, or Suburban on the property! Basically retired and getting the new Motorhome ready for some traveling. Doing a bit of work on the house getting it ready to sell! LOL!!

Last edited by dhaymaker; 06-10-2012 at 12:12 PM.
dhaymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
dhaymaker

Here's the picture of the door, showing the modulator (?) and the spring. Of course, my spring is broken and I now know I need to repair this problem.

don
Attached Images

"The DRBMan"

For the first time in forever, not a single 67-72 Chevy truck, Blazer, or Suburban on the property! Basically retired and getting the new Motorhome ready for some traveling. Doing a bit of work on the house getting it ready to sell! LOL!!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
RexDodge

Thanks for the help Don. It is hooked to the vacuum modulator. There is a spring on the shaft it rotates on. I was wondering about the boss with the hole. Looked like something should mount there. I don't think I have the spring under the dash at the modulator.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
FirstOwner69

The pictures above appear to be of the recirc air door inside the truck on the right kick panel whereas the one in post #1 appears to be the fresh air door outside under the cowl vent panel. Here is a link to a recent thread in the classified section about the spring I think you are asking about. This spring runs from the tab to a hole in the inner cowl a few inches toward the center of the truck.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=526138
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
dhaymaker

FirstOwner69, you are correct in that the pictures I posted were of the right kick panel, based on RexDodge's first comment "passenger side vent flap" and I failed to pay attention to the picture. Should have noted the picture and the basic differences in the air doors. This is what happens when you don't pay sufficient attention to all the details. don

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
The pictures above appear to be of the recirc air door inside the truck on the right kick panel whereas the one in post #1 appears to be the fresh air door outside under the cowl vent panel. Here is a link to a recent thread in the classified section about the spring I think you are asking about. This spring runs from the tab to a hole in the inner cowl a few inches toward the center of the truck.

"The DRBMan"

Old 06-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
RexDodge

Thanks for all the help guys. I found an old post from a few years ago that showed the spring I am missing and where it hooks to. Love this forum! Sorry for the confusion as to what door that was.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
RexDodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post

Thanks for the link...exactly what I am looking for. Now the search begins.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
RexDodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaymaker View Post
Here's the picture of the door, showing the modulator (?) and the spring. Of course, my spring is broken and I now know I need to repair this problem.

don
Your pictures helped too. I am missing that spring as well.