The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
tmoreau

New Guy with a few questions....

I found a 67 with a flat bed on it. It was a farm truck out of California until about 20 years ago and it was brought to Texas. The truck seems pretty solid except for the following issues. The drip rail on the drivers side is in need or repair...its eaten up pretty bad. Also, the rockers on both sides need replacing.
This would be my first classic truck, though I've had classic cars.
How hard is the drip rail to replace? Who repops them? How hard is it to shave the drip rails? how does that look? also, how hard are the rockers to cut out and replace? who makes the best fitting repop panels?
I don't like the flat bed and will look for a fleet side bed if I buy the truck. How hard are those to locate? will 67-72 fit? I know the fenders need to be replaced, but I can handle those easily.
Thanks for any answers guys, I know it's my first post, just wanted to get some ideas. By the way, the truck is real cheap....
Attached Images

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
tmoreau

Re: New Guy with a few questions....

Nobody?
Did I ask too many questions?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
71swb4x4

The drip rail is a problem. Probably less than a 5% chance it's just drip rail rust, and a 95% chance it goes a bit into the cab. I don't think it's reproduced, but there are plenty of rusted out cabs with good drip rails, someone should be able to cut a patch panel out of a cab going to scrap. Check the whole area out very well.

The rockers aren't bad, there is a member here called ebfabman that made a great set of videos on how to replace rockers and cab corners. I would highly recommend those videos.

A long fleetside bed will fit. Any 67-72 will look correct, with the exception being that the 68-72 will have the side markers, the 67 does not have side markers.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
tmoreau

The wheel base is 115 inches....wouldn't a short fleetside bed fit?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
71swb4x4

Have you put a tape measure on it? I am almost certain the white truck in the picture is a LWB, I would bet a small amount of cash on it. (Maybe a quarter, or even a fifty cent piece).

On a SWB the distance from the center of the rear wheel to the back of the cab is roughly the same as the width of the door.
This rough generalization will help you identify on photos which is a SWB and which is a LWB, even if the bed is missing.