The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
SCOTI

Need engine sensor help!

Ok, I'm trying to finish up the motor rebuild in my 89 CC dually. It's the original tbi 454 that was refreshed but after it went through the rebuild process, I only got some of the sensors back w/the 'extra' parts.

My problem is there were many underhood wires in a seriously bad state of condition. 2 of the 3 coolant sensors (1 in each head + 1 @ the front of the intake) were really cooked. One was missing the terminal @ the end (driver side sensor), the other (pass side head) has barely 2 strands of wire retaining it.

I've got the technical GM ID info from an 89 service manual & the 3 coolant sensors I've been struggling with are:

1) Auxiliary Cooling Fan Switch (this one is ID'd as the one in the pass side head).
2) Coolant Temp Sensor (this one is ID'd as the one @ the front of the intake).
3) Water Temperature Switch (this one is ID'd as the driver side sensor).

When I hit my local parts places, their search features come up w/the one for the intake & a generic temp unit for the head (Oreillys didn't even list one for the head). They keep telling me to get the same temp unit for the head & just use 1 in each head. My issue w/that is they're ID'd as 2 different items. 2 different items would suggest 2 different functions. To me, 2 different functions usually aren't monitored w/a similar sensor.

Anyone have some possible specific p/n's or specific data sources they can share?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Desert1957

Re: Need engine sensor help!

I can tell you how my RV is, 1994 P30 chassis with a 7.4 TBI engine.

1) Auxiliary Cooling Fan Switch (this one is ID'd as the one in the pass side head).This sensor turns my electric fans on at a specific temp

2) Coolant Temp Sensor (this one is ID'd as the one @ the front of the intake).This sensor is the input signal to the ECM

3) Water Temperature Switch (this one is ID'd as the driver side sensor).This sensor is the sending unit for the dash gauge

Sensors in the heads were available at Advanced Auto parts last year. when I did my manifold gaskets.

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
I can tell you how my RV is, 1994 P30 chassis with a 7.4 TBI engine.

1) Auxiliary Cooling Fan Switch (this one is ID'd as the one in the pass side head).This sensor turns my electric fans on at a specific temp

2) Coolant Temp Sensor (this one is ID'd as the one @ the front of the intake).This sensor is the input signal to the ECM

3) Water Temperature Switch (this one is ID'd as the driver side sensor).This sensor is the sending unit for the dash gauge

Sensors in the heads were available at Advanced Auto parts last year. when I did my manifold gaskets.

Desert
Did you search for the parts using their web site or was it an in store visit? I just checked their site & it's very similar to the NAPA site I looked @ earlier. Lots of generic cooling system parts but not specific enough to list temp sensors.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 06-12-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
rfmaster

1) OE 14080661 (Napa FS106) Coolant fan switch
2) AC Delco 213-4396 (19187357 ) CTS for ECM
3) OE 25037345 (with gauge) Temperature sending unit

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfmaster View Post
1) OE 14080661 (Napa FS106) Coolant fan switch
2) AC Delco 213-4396 (19187357 ) CTS for ECM
3) OE 25037345 (with gauge) Temperature sending unit
Hey , thanks you beat me too it.

Scoti, I just walked in to my Local store. Lucky for me my particular guy is way to good a parts man for my Mom & Pop store.

He has never let me down.

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
SCOTI

Thanks for the help guys! We don't have any Advanced stores around me so I thought I could identify what I needed on-line. No luck there.

I'll search my local parts houses for these.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG