The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
79bigred

Need help with 5/5 drop

Hello I did the 5/5 drop kit on my 79 silverado and would like to hear some feed back on anyone who as done this drop on the ride. I have the 3" spindle 2" spring on the front with stock rally wheels. The front wheels rub when I turn the wheel all the way. And the bottom bum stops have less then an inch of space. when I drive the tires rub the top of the inner fenders. Is this normal for this drop. I am ready to go back to stock.... Also the kit came with the shock but there is no travel in the shock. Can you guys give some advise on what way to go with this drop kit. I love the look of the drop but not like'n the ride. I did have to do a baby notch in the rear as well. Thanks guy Will post some pics soon
79bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
J Knight

Re: Need help with 5/5 drop

It sounds to me you need to grind a little off the front edge of your lower control arms for the rims to clear lock to lock. Your front tires may be too big. Also you need to remove your front bumpstop mounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Rich84

J Knight nailed it..With the 3" spindle my weights rub on the lower control arm on a lock to lock turn. So I don't do them..lol. (also had to grind the caliper)

I'm running a 30x9.5 with plenty of room.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
79bigred

I do try to avoid them lock to lock turns for that reason as well. I may have to grind some more off the a-arms and calipers. The front tires I am running right now are 255-60r15 on the stock rally wheels. What about the shock problem should there be more travel
Old 06-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
79bigred

Here is a pic of the shock mounted on the front end of the truck right now. Sorry not a clear pic but you can get an idea of what I mean
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Rich84

I have new stock shocks with no problems..(1.5" drop coils)
DON'T go back to stock. Once you finish grinding you will be real happy!
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
79bigred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich84 View Post
I have new stock shocks with no problems..(1.5" drop coils)
DON'T go back to stock. Once you finish grinding you will be real happy!
Thanks Rich I really dont want to go back to stock but this has been a long battle for someone who really dont know much about the suspension part of the trucks.I posted a pic of the drop shocks mounted in the truck
Old 06-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
chebyshortbox65

It's the wrong shock almost looks like a rear shock send it back and get the right shocks.trim the lower control ARM for tire rub and remove the factory bumpstop factory tire size will not work with a 5" drop
Posted via Mobile Device
chebyshortbox65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
79bigred

Quote:
Originally Posted by chebyshortbox65 View Post
It's the wrong shock almost looks like a rear shock send it back and get the right shocks.trim the lower control ARM for tire rub and remove the factory bumpstop factory tire size will not work with a 5" drop
Posted via Mobile Device
I have been looking into the doetsch nitro slammers shocks for the front hoping that they will help with more travel and help with bottoming out on the inner fender walls. So what size tires should I run with this drop you think.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
J Knight

You don't need those hi dollar drop shocks on the front. Stocks are ok for a 2in spring drop.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
gGMC DOG

backspace on the wheel is the issue.
I have used 2.5" and 3" drop spindles,... and if the wheel has a 4" backspace you will need to do some clearancing on the lower control arm around the ball joint area. My understanding is the 7" rallye will clear just fine
It's not a big deal.
If you don't mind doing a little extra work to make them clear, the 3" spindle is the way to go. It's much better to have spindle drop where you can rather than spring drop. The spindle will on effect the ride, whereas the shorter the spring the stiffer it becomes I've had good luck with Belltech and KYB shocks.
I hear Bilstein's are top quality shocks also. I prefer the extenders because of the additional length of travel and the degree of operating angle they provide.

relocating the brackets to gain as much travel as possible. The goal is to utilize the longest stroke for shock travel within the limits of the suspensions travel. There's more than 1 thread on cheap/free shock mod's you can do w/basic hand tools & such. Then if you still need to do drop shocks, get some that are specific to your application so you're getting the best performance out of them.
gGMC DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #12
79bigred

Quote:
Originally Posted by gGMC DOG View Post
backspace on the wheel is the issue.
I have used 2.5" and 3" drop spindles,... and if the wheel has a 4" backspace you will need to do some clearancing on the lower control arm around the ball joint area. My understanding is the 7" rallye will clear just fine
It's not a big deal.
If you don't mind doing a little extra work to make them clear, the 3" spindle is the way to go. It's much better to have spindle drop where you can rather than spring drop. The spindle will on effect the ride, whereas the shorter the spring the stiffer it becomes I've had good luck with Belltech and KYB shocks.
I hear Bilstein's are top quality shocks also. I prefer the extenders because of the additional length of travel and the degree of operating angle they provide.

relocating the brackets to gain as much travel as possible. The goal is to utilize the longest stroke for shock travel within the limits of the suspensions travel. There's more than 1 thread on cheap/free shock mod's you can do w/basic hand tools & such. Then if you still need to do drop shocks, get some that are specific to your application so you're getting the best performance out of them.

Thanks I will look into that this all good info for me I really dont want to go back to stock hight. You mentioned shock extenders now you refering to the rear oe the front. I did notch the rear(baby notch) & put the extenders in the rear. But do they make some for the front as well I would love to have a stock sized shock in the front.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
baclay9

You can put stock size rear shocks on the front.
Posted via Mobile Device
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #14
79bigred

I posted a pic of the drip shock the kit came with and the is no travel and thats a drop shock now if I run a stock shock wouldn't it be worse
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #15
bigwheel15

Quote:
Originally Posted by baclay9 View Post
You can put stock size rear shocks on the front.
Posted via Mobile Device
I thought it was the other way around, front shocks on the rear since they are shorter than stock rears?
Posted via Mobile Device
bigwheel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #16
'79squared

Im running 255/60-15s on the front of mine with a already installed 3/1 drop which will change to at least a 5/4 but I also think a 255 seems pretty big for the front. I will go 235 or maybe 225 Im thinking. Also, dont they make front shock mount extensions for lowering? This would allow you to keep the shocks you have now. Or maybe new mounting studs relocated to allow the distance you need?
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2012, 01:22 AM   #17
ghettoluxury

I just finished a 5/5 drop on mine today and the stance is awsome. 32" tall tires will not work...LOL. My inner fender is sitting on the tire, so I am now looking into new tires for the front.

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #18
79bigred

Well guy just finished some more grinding on the c.a. and calipers and that helped out a lot and now the only problem is trying to find a drop shock that is not compressed all the way when installed. Another question is what size tired should i be running on the front with the 5 inch drop I have 255-60r15 what size should i use so I do not hit the upper inner fender walls. Thanks again guy much help and good info.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
Square_78

255/60 is way to big for a 5" drop. You need a 235/60R15
Get stock size shocks for the front. Dont need "Drop shocks" for a 2" spring lowering. My front end is down 4.5" with springs and I am running stock size shocks in the front and they have lots of travel.
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #20
79bigred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square_78 View Post
Get stock size shocks for the front. Dont need "Drop shocks" for a 2" spring lowering. My front end is down 4.5" with springs and I am running stock size shocks in the front and they have lots of travel.

Ok thanks I will look into getting some more new tires for the front then. Do you rub our hit the inner fenders with you drop. And my control arms Bottom is sitting ont he bump stop should they be removed as well ?
Old 06-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #21
J Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square_78 View Post
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79bigred View Post
Ok thanks I will look into getting some more new tires for the front then. Do you rub our hit the inner fenders with you drop. And my control arms Bottom is sitting ont he bump stop should they be removed as well ?
You need to cut the bumpstop mount off the lower control arm. You can add universal bumpstops in place of the original bumpstop mount like these.

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/bu...0114_3322.aspx
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #22
79bigred

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Knight View Post
Agreed

You need to cut the bumpstop mount off the lower control arm. You can add universal bumpstops in place of the original bumpstop mount like these.

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/bu...0114_3322.aspx
Thanks Jknight I will order some of the looks like I have to get the grinder out once again. Will I have to remove the inner fenders so I don't rub!
Old 06-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #23
J Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79bigred View Post
Thanks Jknight I will order some of the looks like I have to get the grinder out once again. Will I have to remove the inner fenders so I don't rub!
No you dont have to remove the inner fenders. It wont rub once you change your tires or when you remove the bumpstops.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #24
79bigred

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Knight View Post
No you dont have to remove the inner fenders. It wont rub once you change your tires or when you remove the bumpstops.

Thanks j knight I will start that this weekend or next and post some more pics of the fi.ished product
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #25
bark

Are you sure you ended up with a 2" drop spring??? kinda sounds way too low????

also don't pull the front bump stops, you can just jack up your truck, hang the front suspension so you have room to work, and take a sawzall to the rubber stops, cut the top half off, that way you have more travel, but also don't bottom steel on steel!!!!

and you currently have the wrong shocks on the front of your truck, they are too long,

Unless you have more then a 2" drop spring????? the spindles won't affect shock length

255 60 15 should fit
bark is offline   Reply With Quote