The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
danheit

danheit's '55 on a '90

Well, I finally got some major headway done on my newest project, and have gotten to the point where I'm gonna throw up some pics for posterity. I picked up a 55 truck in pieces sans drivetrain, to use as a donor for my other 55 that was in pretty rough shape. Fast forward a few months, and I sold it (the truck I was buying parts for) to a guy in Canada, which ended up being a miserable situation that I won't go into here. I also ended up selling the 55 frame that I had from my parts truck, as it was fairly tweaked and it was very much so in the way. Fast forward AGAIN a few more months, and I picked up a 1990 GMC Sierra 1500 Sport with an interesting history. This truck came already lowered, and has a built 700R4 tranny and a 454 (i recently found out) TBI built race motor. The truck was built for one purpose, and that was to evade the police in the bank robberies (yes plural) that the PO used it for. He finally got caught, truck went to auction, and it now sits in my garage with no title. Today I got the last of the body off, which is a feat for me to say the least, as I am always incredibly busy between work, family, my house, my other projects and training/gym time. My wife decided to take the girls for a trip to Chicago this past week for my oldest girl's 7th birthday and go to the American Girl Doll Museum. I got a whole week to myself (minus working)! Got to finish part of one of my Jeep projects, and now I spent all of today getting the cab off of my 1990 to prep for the 55 body to go on. Before you guys ask, the width of the 90 works great, as does the wheel base. I believe it is about 2 inches longer, which will be made up in the bed to cab area and the wheel wells. I am going to offset the wheels in the wheel wells by 1/2 on each end, and throw an extra inch between the cab and bed and call it good. I have no intentions of building a show truck, just a fast fun around town driver on a budget. So far I have about 1000 in everything. Now, on to the pictures!

Coming home with the new pieces:

Waiting to go on the frame:

More to come as my photos finish uploading from my phone to photobucket. Sorry guys, wife took the camera.
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote