The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
jnikolas

Uneven exhaust question

I have a 400 sbc motor that I just replaced the mufflers on. The old mufflers were completely rusted out so I installed 2 new Flowmaster super 44s. I checked carefully for any leaks and sealed the one I found on the driver side. I found none on the passenger side. The driver side exhaust is very even now. The passenger side exhaust is choppy. When I put my hand to the tailpipe I get two to three strong blasts then one beat of no exhaust coming out at all, maybe even sucking. This is at idle, I have not tested at higher RPMs. The engine runs well except I do notice a tiny loss in power at one point in rotation. I am guessing one of my cylinders is having a problem on the exhaust stroke, but I have no idea. What can I do to test this and to repair. I appreciate any help.
jnikolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
VWBeamer

Re: Uneven exhaust question

Classic sign of a burnt/bent/leaking exhaust valve.
VWBeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
brianthelion02
Overdrive club

Time for a compression test!!

1951 3100 chevy

1970 chevy c-30 Sold!
brianthelion02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
jnikolas

Will a compression test verify this? Is there any other test I can perform that will help me narrow it down or will I have to visually inspect?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
terry b

The compression test is the way to go. You could remove the valve cover on that side and take a look tho i don't know what good it will do you.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
brianthelion02
Overdrive club

Yes ,compression test is the best way to verify if a valve is burned or not! Also how long has it been since a valve adjustment?

1951 3100 chevy

1970 chevy c-30 Sold!
brianthelion02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
ole dollor

yep...they told you right...that is where you want to start....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #8
jnikolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianthelion02 View Post
Yes ,compression test is the best way to verify if a valve is burned or not! Also how long has it been since a valve adjustment?
I have no idea about the valve adjustment. I have a 69 c20 but the motor is not the original as it is a 400 sbc. It was supposedly recently rebuilt, but I have no idea when. I bought it less than a year ago from my brother-in-law and he only had it a few months. I want to fix what I can to prevent any type of failure but have a limited budget. This is my daily driver (about 6 miles each way). Any suggestions on what I should do if valve is bad? Just replace it? Should I give the rest of the head any attention while I am there?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
ole dollor

the cheep way would be to pull that head and fix that one valve, if all the rest have good compression . you can check the rest on that head and lap the others if they need it, if you do both heads and raise the compression then you could start using oil if the rings are weak...so to save money this would be the cheep way. i have had to do this a number of times to save myself money and keep it going. and i have done this for others that were in the same boat i was in, that would buy you some time to save up and keep driving every day....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
terry b

If you do find a dead cylinder you will need to take the valve off and check rockers and push rods. crank the motor and see if everything is moving as it should. If it is you have to figure you have a bent or burnt exhaust valve. If you are short on cash that is all you need to repair. Remove intake-distributor and bad head. Take it to a machine shop and have the bad valve replaced.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #11
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnikolas View Post
Will a compression test verify this? Is there any other test I can perform that will help me narrow it down or will I have to visually inspect?
Posted via Mobile Device
A Leak down test will diagnose multiple problems including what we already suspect with the valve.

Here's a good article to understand how it works.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...r/viewall.html

s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote