The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
70CHEVYBB

my wife's question

I am not going to get my truck finished by september like I thought. To may other things going on. So I decided to buy a local 72 that I can drive through the winter. My wife say's I am a little obsessive with my hobbies and can't stand it any more, so she wants to know how many forum members are still married and how many are divorced because of our trucks. (lol)
70CHEVYBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
mud.man.rj

Re: my wife's question

My wife has never been all that happy about my hobby, and I work at hotrodding everyone elses stuff almost every night and the odd time mine so my life is comsumed almost totally around cars and trucks with lots of HP. Hey I don't do drugs, go to the bar or even drink hardly at all and am home most of the time while most guy's I know are never around or have bad habits. So not so bad to like a truck is it.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

My hobby never comes before my family. My wife doesn't understand why I like working on them and as she calls it driving an ugly truck, but she knows I enjoy it and knows where I am, so she goes along. Even though it bugged her, she understood when I got the 2nd project truck to drive while I finish the 70. She is even glad that we have it at times, when one of the daily drivers goes out.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
70CHEVYBB

I go out of the car hobby for building and flying giant scale rc airplanes, this was 12 or so years ago. We did have a guy the was so obsessed with his rc hobby that he is on his fourth wife. I decided to get back into the car hobby by way of a truck. I am finishing up my last plane right now for a guy in mn. Its a 16 foot wingspan B17and takes alot of time(the reason I am getting out of the hobby). It is very hard to have bth projects in the garage at the same time. I do get paid for the the plane build so I have to finish it first.
70CHEVYBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Sneaux

I have been married for 2 years and only working on the truck for 8 months. I have spent lots of $ on it before it caught on fire and even more $ rebuilding it. She understands its what I like to do and is ok with it as long as it doesn't take away from family time.
Sneaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
vectorit
What?

I'm still single...
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
50bomb

Not to sound selfish. But it isn't a hobby to me its a life style. I done my share of bad stuff growing up. When I was 19 I finally got a vehicle it was a 1964 chevy truck complete project that change my life COMPLETELY. I never could ever want a Mercedes benz or farri anymore. These trucks got me addicted to them. My 67 chevy truck is the newest year I have owned. I had 2 64 chevy truck,50 chevy coupe,50 buick roadmaster,51 pontiac chieftain,53 Ford mainline, 63 impala. OH never been MARRIED EVER and NO KIDS EVER. haahaa. Now I just have my 67 chevy truck and no more cars/trucks for me. This truck will be my responsiblity for the rest of my life GOD willing. Hopefully when the day comes I meet a little lady of my own that will appreciate my hard work. But like i said No more for me. I am VERY thankful for what I have. I learned alot from life in general and still have LOTS AND LOTS to learn.

Last edited by 50bomb; 06-15-2012 at 09:58 PM.
50bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

"Wives are like buses,if ya miss this one,there'll be another along in 15 min."

Now a clean decnt running 67-72 chevy.....that's a keeper.....

JFYI My wife doesn't read the forum.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
ole dollor

well i am married to a tall red head , she is a ex marine and i dont give her any trouble, i wear the pants in my family....she just tells me whitch one's , we have matching motorcycles, and she thinks thats great, she thinks my truck is ugly, we never have problems for buying gifts for birthdays or christmas, we just buy each other more chrome , i just try and save up for ole dollar's parts . and buy a little at a time.....she is all good with my hobby she knows it keeps me busy.....but she still thinks its ugly.....i like it alot....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

There are many members on here whos better halves are members also, some of their kids too... kinda cool when family takes interest in each others hobbies
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

My exwife had no interest in any of the hot rods I had owned in the 14 years I was married to her. I tried everything to include her. Even build a rod for her to drive. She would get enthused for about a month, and then it was back to square one. I sold 3 nice rigs because it caused too much tension between us.

The gal I have in my life now... complete 180... hell, she's lookin' through CL more than I am lookin' for trucks and hot rods. Since she had a '72 Nova in high school, now we are on the hunt for one of those too. I never ever thought I would have a gal in my life that loves cars and trucks like I do!

Not to mention dirt bikes, and huntin' and fishin'! I'm a lucky cat!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: my wife's question

I will be celebrating 30 years with the same women in Nov. She had here days with the truck but she also has had here day needing the truck so she is cool about it now!

Golf carts are another story!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
70cst

Married 35 years.

My wife is not into the Car/Truck hobby but she knows I enjoy it so she is ok with it but at the same time I support her in her hobbies/interest.

Give and take is one of the keys to a happy marriage...

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #14
Jarwood

My wife is so cool with it that she had a shirt made that said "Arwood and his truck is a beautiful thing". I also have a seperate truck account that she puts money in.. I must be a lucky guy!
Jarwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #15
Tuff Gong

Quote:
Originally Posted by saa View Post
If your wife feels more important than any and all of your hobbies, you can do anything you like. If she doesn't, you're in trouble. It's not the "trucks" that matter - it's your priorities.

Married 29 years. Hobbies galore.
saa.
X2 my friend. 11 years married with two kids. It goes the same for the kids. When I'm spending to much time on trucks and not enough with the family, they definitely let me know. My 7 years old will run around singing "truck parts, truck parts, blah, blah, blah, truck parts, truck parts, blah, blah, blah"
Tuff Gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:51 AM   #16
Fatkid1983

I've been with my better half for 11 years and married for 8 of that. She is almost more into working in the shop then I am! When we met she was into horses, now she's into horse power! Lol. We spend our extra time as a family in the shop working on the chevy. Even my little one loves being in the shop working on the "hot hot cheb". She's two and trys real hard lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
NorthWest C10's
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/Norhtwestc10s/
Fatkid1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #17
JCD

Hey Guy.. I think it's just you.. right honey?
.........Honey??
........................Honey??!!

J.
1969 SS El Camino
1968 SS RS 396 Camaro
1967 Barracuda Formula S
1965 140/4sp Corvair Monza Convertible

Sorry, but I don't do Fords.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #18
Melnickta

Ive been married for 7 weeks and bought my 70 stepside 3 weeks ago. Jury is still out... But she's coming around and even likes driving it. Doesn't want me to put any lipstick on the pig however.
Posted via Mobile Device
Melnickta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #19
sboris

Started my first build 2yrs after we were married. She used to say "i think you love that truck more than me" heard it all the time. Of coarse i spent countless hours on it OBSESSED with getting it done. 24 yrs later she is behind me 100%, even bragging! Wow. Figured out the prioritys of when and how much and how to juggle a family and things are clicking along smoothly...
Posted via Mobile Device
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #20
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Been married for over 30 years. My wife knows I am a gearhead. She just spent over 5 Gs on a new sewing machine. She doesnt mind my truck, but I tell her before I spend. This way we are on the same page.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #21
Daddy Brim

My wife likes hot rods and the classics. When I went to look at my 67 with my wife, I was on the fence about buying it. The price was right the truck was solid, but the wiring on the truck was shot. She told me to buy it and then she bought me a new wiring harness.

67 C-20 Custom Camper
68 Nova 396 it does wheelies
2005 Buick Century the one the wife drives
1989 Toyota Tercel to drive when I can't put gas in the first 2.
Daddy Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #22
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Met my wife by sellng her my 1968 c-10. You have to remember to tell her you could be doing worse things with your time. Like drugs or cheating.
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #23
67c10rustbuket

Married 8 ? years (I am a man right) to the only wife. We discuss my truck plans and have a budget set aside for it and 25% net from overtime also. Also we schedule time for family and other hobbies and adjust as necessary. Wednesday and Saturday are my "truck days" other than that if the wife is busy doing something I work on the truck a little also. A good plan and communication goes a long way and sharing your accomplishments with the wife so she can feel included. My wife is into Hotrods now but I cant get her to work with me during the dirty stages but maybe when all the nasty work is done.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #24
MrSchaeferPants

1st wife wasn't into my vehicle hobbies. I have a great new wife now, she helps with things, thinks they're cool. Wants a square body shortbed or K5. This hobby is way better than finding other 'things' to keep you occupied. Tell her to remember that.

If they ***** about hobbies, get a new one.

Wife that is.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #25
odog

Been married almost 11 years, 2 little girls and they understand. Sometimes it bugs them when I work on the truck after work, but my wife knows its my way of unwinding when i get home. She thinks its just an old ranch truck, cause that what its been to her her hole life (it was her grandpas ranch truck), but she puts upw ith me working on it. Now my nephew has one and we are always talking about parts and what we need to do to his to get it going, she just smiles and rolls her eyes. I just remember that my wife and 2 little girls are my priorities and my truck is my hobby and everything is cool.