The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
chaileyk5

Shock question

Long story short - 72 blazer with 2 in tuff country ez ride springs up front, blocks in the rear. Ive got the correct 2 inch t.c. shocks up front, but stock length shocks in the rear.

I found an extra set of 2 inch front shocks and a set of 4 inch rear shocks (both t.c. Sx8000) in the garage - can I run either of these in the rear until I get some 4 inch springs to level it out?
Posted via Mobile Device
chaileyk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
turp mcspray

Re: Shock question

The best way to find perfect fitting shocks, is to find some sort of ditch to drive into, at an angle. Do it so a front tire, and the opposite rear are both in the bottom of the ditch, and the other 2 are up on the banks. Preferably, a steep enough ditch that 1 wheel ends up off the ground. Do this with your shocks UNBOLTED. Now measure the compressed distance between your upper and lower shock mounts, and the extended distance on the other 2. Take these measurements, and look through a shock catalog. (skyjacker, for example) They will give the fully extended, and fully compressed shock measurements. Find the shock measurements that meet your needs. You don't want your shocks to ever be bottomed out, or over extended. If all of your driving is on the street, you will never reach either end of your shock. But if you ever venture off road, you will want a proper fitting shock. I have found that the shocks that come with kits, are not usually the ideal shocks for your specific application.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
BOHICA

Re: Shock question

For what it's worth, this thread has pretty much convinced me to always go with Bilsteins over the shocks that come with lift kits.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-shocks-to-get
1987 Land Cruiser
1990 Chevy K3500 454
BOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote