The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
MikeS.

Hey Calif. guys

for a 63 Calif. Burb a commercial plate or a regular plate? I know the trucks had a commercial plate. I was there...
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
C/10 King

Re: Hey Calif. guys

I'm 99% sure that it would have been a regular Ca. passenger car plate.
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #3
oem4me

I don't know, but my thinking is it could have gone either way depending upon how the vehicle was used/registered. A working panel truck would have had commercial plates right? So why not a working Suburban? Maybe number of seats is a factor ?
my recent passenger type YOM plates:
Attached Images

oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
spacedebris

I dont know about the 63, but my 60 Panel came with commercial. From what I've found so far, the 1/2 ton came with passenger and the 3/4 ton and the 1 ton (like mine) had the commercial by default. However the 1/2 ton could have commercial as well if sold as a "business vehicle"

When DMV ran a vin/title search on mine, it listed the original license number for mine. I dont have the plates so I'm trying to see if CA will let me have them reproduced in vintage form. So far no luck. If anyone knows if or how this can be done, I'd appreciate it. Planning for the worst, I've been looking for another set of 60's plates. I can find the passenger plates no problem. The commercial plates on the other hand are a lot harder. They either are in so bad of shape that they'd be useless to me, or WAY too expensive. Last set I saw that were in good-to-excellent shape, the guy wanted 1500 for them. A bit out of my price range

Last edited by spacedebris; 06-17-2012 at 05:52 AM.
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
sofilofi

Hi, I'm a new guy from CA I also have a 63 sub (gmc) and I just got YOM plates registered and they're non-commercial plates. All the subs I've seen with YOM plates are non-commercial, panels are commercial.
sofilofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
padresag

they are what you license them for. there is nothing that says that you can't buy and drive a Peterbuilt around for pleasure and or get a smart car licensed for commercial if it so happens that you are using it for commercial purposes
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
jocko

agree- burbs should be non-commercial. But good point about the 3/4 and 1 tonners - I'm not sure, perhaps they could have been comm. Don't see many of those around, so quite possible nobody has even seen one on the road (a 3/4 or 1 tonner).

Generally speaking, if it's "closed" where the bed would be, it should be regular - but the panel/burb difference could be passenger vs. other use compartment related. However, if you roll in with "Joe's Shipping Emporium" painted along the side of the panel, you might expect they could figure it out. Who KNOWS what goes on in the mind of a DMV employee. When I stare at them, all I see is $$ signs in place of their eyeballs.

Last edited by jocko; 06-17-2012 at 01:09 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
they are what you license them for. there is nothing that says that you can't buy and drive a Peterbuilt around for pleasure and or get a smart car licensed for commercial if it so happens that you are using it for commercial purposes
ron
Not necessarily the case Ron, it's not what you as the customer wants that matters - if you have an open bed SHOW truck, you will have to register it as a commercial vehicle. Yes, you can register something as commercial that is not if you want to/admit to, but the reverse is not true.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS. View Post
for a 63 Calif. Burb a commercial plate or a regular plate? I know the trucks had a commercial plate. I was there...
Regular plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Not necessarily the case Ron, it's not what you as the customer wants that matters - if you have an open bed SHOW truck, you will have to register it as a commercial vehicle. Yes, you can register something as commercial that is not if you want to/admit to, but the reverse is not true.
This is true.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
guess that they are a little bit more stringent there then they are here. where tehy get you here is if you get in an accident and if you are using it for something different than it's intended use your insurance may be invalid same as for altered frames which are not certified
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
C/10 King

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
I don't know, but my thinking is it could have gone either way depending upon how the vehicle was used/registered. A working panel truck would have had commercial plates right? So why not a working Suburban? Maybe number of seats is a factor ?
my recent passenger type YOM plates:
Hey oem, Is there a thread somewhere I can see more pic's of your Suburban? That thing is freakin AWESOME!!! *** Sorry about the hijack***
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
MikeS.

Sounds like I can look for a personal plate for my 63. I want to go with a 60s era black & yellow plate. Too bad I don't have 1 of the plates off of my folks 68 station wagon.

WVa doesn't issue a front plate, so I've been known to put 1 of my Calif vanity plates on the front of my vehicles here. The wife and I had the same plate in Calif for about 20 years. Moved here and kept the same on a WV plate.
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/10 King View Post
Hey oem, Is there a thread somewhere I can see more pic's of your Suburban? That thing is freakin AWESOME!!! *** Sorry about the hijack***
Thanks Rene. Never done a thread about any of my three trucks. Just a few pics here and there. post 173 here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=262994&page=7
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote