The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
gerlbaum

Mr Gasket Electric Drive to run ac compressor

I was browsing through Craigslist and saw one of those Mr Gasket electric water pump drive kits for cheap. For purely a mental thinking out of the box exercise, would anyone think you could use that to drive an AC compressor? My initial thought would be fabbing its location etc.... then a relay from the AC green wire which would connect to both the electric drive motor and AC compressor wire (I.e. the wire from the dash to the relay, when turned on would switch the relay which would send power to both the compressor wire and electric drive motor). I imagine one of those motors have enough torque to run the AC compressor if it can run a water pump. I guess the only issue would be the longevity of the electric motor. I understand these aren't meant to be run for street driving, merely passes at a drag strip. Any thoughts?
gerlbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
chebyshortbox65

Re: Mr Gasket Electric Drive to run ac compressor

Won't work at all the water pump is easy to spin vs a a/c compressor it would take a huge elec motor to turn the a/c when your a/c is running the high aide is at 250 normally so imagine the horse power to run it I am a diesel mechanic and have seen a/c compressors ran off pto,s so if you had a sm65 you could do it that way
Posted via Mobile Device
chebyshortbox65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:40 AM   #3
andrewmp6

The motor in is not strong enough its made to pump water which flows really easy.If it even did work the strain electrical system would be huge and take 2 or 3 alts and 4 batteries to keep up with it.Only way i see electric ac is one of the roof top systems a rv uses but its big and ugly and would look out of place on a pickup cab.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
dmartin1

I actually has a fairly large thread about this a long time ago. about making the ac system run on 12v. seems that everybody came to the same conclusion it would almost equal up the same with the strain added to the electrical system.
1978 k20 Silverado loaded.currently engine-less
1989 k10 suburban 9" lift
65 nova
And more
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote