The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
PaRedneckRiders

Where to get leaf springs

Looking to buy leaf springs for my project and not real sure where i should get them from.
I am running DIY4X's B52 kit up front and the shackle flip in the rear so what im looking for is probably a set of 52" front springs and 56" rear. If anyone is using these kits with longer springs and didnt have to move anything let me know, i would like to go with the longest springs i can for flex and ride quality. But i need a set of 4" springs too equal roughly 8" total and looking for a place to buy them.
I see i can get them from Skyjacker i think they would be part numbers CR14S and CR24S.
I also see that ORD sells tuff country springs or i could buy directly from tuff country.
Im just not sure which company has the best spring. I considered buying springs from alcan or similar companies but im not sure how much they would cost compared to pre-made springs. So what kinda springs are you guys running and what would you suggest for me both length and company too buy from.
PaRedneckRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
obijuan

Re: Where to get leaf springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaRedneckRiders View Post
Looking to buy leaf springs for my project and not real sure where i should get them from.
I am running DIY4X's B52 kit up front and the shackle flip in the rear so what im looking for is probably a set of 52" front springs and 56" rear. If anyone is using these kits with longer springs and didnt have to move anything let me know, i would like to go with the longest springs i can for flex and ride quality. But i need a set of 4" springs too equal roughly 8" total and looking for a place to buy them.
I see i can get them from Skyjacker i think they would be part numbers CR14S and CR24S.
I also see that ORD sells tuff country springs or i could buy directly from tuff country.
Im just not sure which company has the best spring. I considered buying springs from alcan or similar companies but im not sure how much they would cost compared to pre-made springs. So what kinda springs are you guys running and what would you suggest for me both length and company too buy from.
I have used superlift 4" 56 on the front, remove shortest leaf and overload. 6" 56 rears with 4" flip. Stock shackle hanger. Poor mans b52.
Currently I have skyjacker 52s 2" up front, which in actuality netted me 7-8". I have DIYs abomb and it holds my BBC k5 up very well.
Posted via Mobile Device
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
PaRedneckRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijuan View Post
I have used superlift 4" 56 on the front, remove shortest leaf and overload. 6" 56 rears with 4" flip. Stock shackle hanger. Poor mans b52.
Currently I have skyjacker 52s 2" up front, which in actuality netted me 7-8". I have DIYs abomb and it holds my BBC k5 up very well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Any pics with the 2" skyjackers?
What springs do you have in the rear now?
Old 06-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
obijuan

the big big truck was quickly dismantled, no pics of the 4" and 6" 56s.

this is with the 2" skyjackers 52" up front and a zero rate 1.5" forward. shackle flip and a block to match for the rear. these are 39s with a sbc.

now here it is with those same 2" skyjackers with the overload and zero rate removed. as well as having a BBC now. stock 56s flipped around with my own shackle flip, kinda like 2" i guess. still 39s.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
PaRedneckRiders

That looks good but which springs did you like better?
It looks like it flexed pretty well before you changed the rear setup, is it better or worse now?
Old 06-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
obijuan

it is MUCH better now. the lower it is the more i like it.
big truck rode bad flexed great. you could run over a dime and tell if it was heads or tails.
it seems it would need too few leafs to ride good, but then it wouldnt hold up the truck. spring rate was too heavy. these front skyjackers i have now are ridiculously heavy, so thats in my favor currently.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
PaRedneckRiders

Quote:
it is MUCH better now. the lower it is the more i like it.
big truck rode bad flexed great. you could run over a dime and tell if it was heads or tails.
it seems it would need too few leafs to ride good, but then it wouldnt hold up the truck. spring rate was too heavy. these front skyjackers i have now are ridiculously heavy, so thats in my favor currently.
Ok so you like the skyjackers but do you think if i went with a 4" front spring that it would be too much? im looking for a total of between 7-9"
Old 06-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
obijuan

if its what you want, then youll probably be mentally prepared and can justify the ride. i wanted 39s, good, stable flex, and a good ride. to get all that stuff i lowered it. but a 4" front 56 will give you around that height. and stick the front axle forward to get out of the firewall.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
PaRedneckRiders

Quote:
if its what you want, then youll probably be mentally prepared and can justify the ride. i wanted 39s, good, stable flex, and a good ride. to get all that stuff i lowered it. but a 4" front 56 will give you around that height. and stick the front axle forward to get out of the firewall.
Do you think i should move it forward by using a zero rate, i didnt really want to do that because it wont be a strictly trail rig it will get run on the road very little between trails.