The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
GMCNUT

a GREEN 283 V8?

Hey guys; as most of you know I am restoring a 61 Apache to "correct" original specs, but unlike 64-66 years where the engine colors are easy to find in the owners guide, I have been struggling to find out for certainty what color the factory 283 engine was supposed to be in 1961 specifcally. Chevy was bad about changing up engine colors on truck motors in the 50's and early 60's so we all know the 283 was dark Grey most of the later 60's years and the 66 327 and 292 6 cyl were the only ones that were ever green but I saw the attached picture in an ad for a NOS GM 1961 pickup truck 283 V8 intake manifold and the 2nd picture is of an untouched 1961 283 V8 still in service .....holy crap - both are green! Are you kidding me? Green? Does anybody have any evidence to the contrary for 60 or 61 283 V8's?

I am not sure how crazy I am about this green if it is right. Maybe I will warm up to it after I see it a few days.....I know I can paint it whatever I want, but I went through a lot of un-necessary pain and added expense already picking up rare NOS 1961 specific armrests & NOS sunvisors because they are a 1 yr only bluish silver that is unique to 1961 only and of course, not reproduced and I have bought other GM NOS stuff where I could have just bough aftermarket or altered parts to work. So I have gone this far now, and pretty much need to finish this as right as its supposed to be, which is why its important that I paint this engine the exact right color as per what is recognized as being correct by my self and any GM historians among you.

So if any one of you can produce a shred of physical evidence or GM literature to the contrary of these attached pictures please do or I will go forward with the belief that Green is indeed correct for a 1961 283 V8 truck motor. The only other thing that I have considered is that 2 ton trucks could have used Green where 1/2 ton's did not....not pics or documentation to back up any such claim if so. Help?

Thanks!
Attached Images

GMCNUT is offline   Reply With Quote