The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
gramps77

tired, tired, tired of gas leaking when refueling

I've tried all kinds of different angles, Ive tried the radiator hose in between the nozzle and the neck......how do I stop leaking gas everytime I refuel? Is there anyway to stop it,maybe install a flange so it fits just the nozzle in like newer filler necks?
gramps77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Firebirdjones

Re: tired, tired, tired of gas leaking when refueling

Haven't really heard of this being a problem before unless it's one of those goofy pump nozzles that don't work unless you are pushing the spring loaded rubber cup back.

Are you trying to run the thing full pump speed?

I never use the auto fill handle mechanism. Always keep the trigger squeezed myself so I can control the flow. I don't trust the things to shut off either. With 1/4 to 1/2 squeeze on the trigger I've never had a problem with spillage on any of my vehicles, trucks, cars, classics....
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
gramps77

Even when I set it so it can go as slow AS POSSIBLE, it will still dribble some out down the side. Good thing I dont have good paint yet. It did it before I replaced all the rubber lines to include both at the filler neck and it does it a little more now. I have dual tanks and it does it both sides. I have seen the complaint before but I'm fed up with it.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
Firebirdjones

Wow, doing it on both tanks is odd. I have dual tanks on my 79 and haven't had this issue with either. Since it's both sides it makes me think it's something other than the vehicle? Having a kinked hose on both tanks is rather unlikely (I would think)??
Old 06-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
rfmaster

It has to do CA vapor recovery nozzle design - they do not reach far enough! To fill my tanks I turn nozzle horizontal facing to the back of the truck, shove it all the way in and go easy on fuel delivery. Takes a while to fill 20G tank, but no more spills.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
gramps77

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfmaster View Post
It has to do CA vapor recovery nozzle design - they do not reach far enough! To fill my tanks I turn nozzle horizontal facing to the back of the truck, shove it all the way in and go easy on fuel delivery. Takes a while to fill 20G tank, but no more spills.

//RF
yes, that way I get LESS, but still enough to dribble down the side. Just barely enough that it evaporates as it tries to make a drip off the bottom of the truck. FRUSTRATING.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
rfmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps77 View Post
yes, that way I get LESS, but still enough to dribble down the side. Just barely enough that it evaporates as it tries to make a drip off the bottom of the truck. FRUSTRATING.
Indeed, I had to switch from 90 deg bent fuel filler hose to 45deg to keep fuel flowing down. It helped a little bit, but not too much. The old inlet port has a large diameter that one would think would help with fuel flow, but opposite is true.

Yes, the darn CA gas is very skunky - I can attest that refueling is a PITA!

Old 06-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
kylep

i just get those paper towels i live in san diego and its just hard with these pumps
Old 06-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #9
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

I've been doing it for 34 years...
Old 06-20-2012, 01:18 AM   #10
chebyshortbox65

Which style bed do you have if you have 76 and below with exposed caps good luck I'm changing from that style now to the newer setup with fuel door so hopefully all will be better after
Posted via Mobile Device
chebyshortbox65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #11
brian's 77

Ive had this problem for about 8 years. The gas attendants would always set the auto nozzle on and gas would just spill everywhere. Now I just do it myself. I dont think its that bad but u gotta get the angle right and not go full throttle on the pump. If there is a fix to this i'd definitely be interested!
brian's 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #12
Square_78

Ive never had a problem filling the tank on my '78. where is the gas leaking from? Is it coming back up from the filler neck? Is there a breather line or something on the top of the tank that might be plugged? I have never had a problem with mine...
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #13
Sabaka454

Do you have the tank vent and fill tube vent connected?
Sabaka454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #14
rfmaster

To the guys from east coast and Canada - the problem is with California mandated (CALIFORNIA AIR RESOURCE BOARD = eco-gestapo) nozzle design. It is simply too short for older trucks. Add to this a vapor recovery sleeve that compresses within couple of inches of fuel neck engagement and you have perfect spill waiting to happen. Over the years I have replaced, tanks, fuel filler hoses, vent hose and necks - nothing seems to work. However, when I used old style filler nozzle problem miraculously went away.

//RF

Old 06-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #15
Firebirdjones

Quote:
To the guys from east coast and Canada - the problem is with California mandated (CALIFORNIA AIR RESOURCE BOARD = eco-gestapo) nozzle design. It is simply too short for older trucks. Add to this a vapor recovery sleeve that compresses within couple of inches of fuel neck engagement and you have perfect spill waiting to happen. Over the years I have replaced, tanks, fuel filler hoses, vent hose and necks - nothing seems to work. However, when I used old style filler nozzle problem miraculously went away.

//RF
Correct. I deal with these when we frequent California. I had briefly mentioned it in my first post when I mentioned the goofy nozzle designs will sometimes cause problems, but the original poster didn't mention what style of pump he was using so I could only speculate.

I found that when using those, I have to manually pull back the vapor recovery sleeve with one hand so the pump activates, and pump with the other hand. Real pain in the butt, but it works without spillage.

I find it's easier in my truck because you are standing up while filling, and have plenty of room to mess around with the vapor recovery sleeve. Where it's a real pain is when I'm filling up my 70 formy or 72 chevelle where the fill neck is behind the rear pull down license plate, and you have the bumper that you also have to deal with, all while you are squatting down. You almost can't even get the short nozzle into the filler neck "AT ALL".
Luckily when that spills it winds up on the ground and not my paint. So much for the EPA regulated pumps that are supposed to be good for the environment when you wind up with a gallon of gas on the ground
Old 06-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #16
gramps77

Quote:

//RF
you guys are right. Im talking about these crazy CA nozzles with the sleeve. I'll have to start trying to manually hold it back and see what happens. I can press as hard as possible and get the nozzle in there but some always leaks out.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #17
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps77 View Post
you guys are right. Im talking about these crazy CA nozzles with the sleeve. I'll have to start trying to manually hold it back and see what happens. I can press as hard as possible and get the nozzle in there but some always leaks out.
Yep, I mentioned that in my first post. I was wondering if that was your issue or not. Didn't know if you were using them. I don't care for those things either.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #18
1BadAction

Cut sleeve off with knife, remove, write FU CARB on the fuel pump in sharpie and pump fuel into tank unhindered. Problem solved.

Just kidding, never seen one. Sucks that you have such a pain when trying to get fuel, you'd think the price would be enough...
1BadAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #19
von guido

i got tired of this as well. I got a muffler shop to bend up some 1 3/4 galvanized tubing and took some radiator hose and ran the line to the bed and welded up a filler neck by the tailgate...works awesome!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #20
von guido

like this
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #21
HotRodScottsdale

Sounds like u Need the same attachment the new f150 trucks have for pouring a Jerry can into the tank, it's a special funnel u clip into the spot u put the pump nossle and it makes sure the gas goes past a vent in the filler neck that stops people from watering or suffering ur tank, might help by pass the filler neck and get it straight to the tank
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #22
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodScottsdale View Post
Sounds like u Need the same attachment the new f150 trucks have for pouring a Jerry can into the tank, it's a special funnel u clip into the spot u put the pump nossle and it makes sure the gas goes past a vent in the filler neck that stops people from watering or suffering ur tank, might help by pass the filler neck and get it straight to the tank
Posted via Mobile Device
A transmission funnel with it's long skinny neck works too

I carry one in the classic cars when on long trips just in case I fill up at one of these goofy pumps.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #23
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
Cut sleeve off with knife, remove, write FU CARB on the fuel pump in sharpie and pump fuel into tank unhindered. Problem solved.

Don't tell anyone, but when I first ran into this style of nozzle many years back I was in my 70 formy and simply couldn't pump the gas properly. My first glimpse of this nozzle and I was like HUH??? After 5 minutes of fiddling and spilling gas, I pulled out a pair of tin snips and modified the pump handle Shhhhhhh!! Now I just carry a transmission funnel with me if I plan to cross the border to California.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #24
Hevy

Quote:

//RF
It's not those CARB nozzles... my '77 does the same thing here. It drives me nuts! No matter how slow I pump it drips down the fleetside.
Hevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #25
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevy View Post
It's not those CARB nozzles... my '77 does the same thing here. It drives me nuts! No matter how slow I pump it drips down the fleetside.
I'd say that's an issue with your truck then. I've driven my 79 fleetside all over Arizona and pumped gas just about everywhere and never have an issue with either tank.