The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2012, 03:10 AM   #1
Slow Build

I might be forced to sell my pride and joy.

I got totally screwed by a dealer on my new DD purchase. It's so bad that the only way I can fix it is to sell my 64 to pay for just some of the problems that it has. If I can't get any help from the BBB that's it. I'm so pi$$ed that I think I'm getting an ulser from this crap.

Here's my thread on the subject.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=524498
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: I might be forced to sell my pride and joy.

Read the other thread. So sorry to hear how this has turned out. My only exposure to a Tahoe was the one my son bought new. Endless problems throughout the time they owned it including the clunk in the steering column that never got fixed.

Come to think of it our last new GM experience was a 95 S10. After 2 months of spending 1/3 of the time at the dealer correcting problems, it went back. GM's quality convinced us to buy a Honda.

Last edited by markeb01; 06-20-2012 at 11:08 AM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
74 shortbed 406

It broke on your test drive and you still bought it, should of k.own something wasn't right then. It does suck, dont sell your truck, sell your table.

2002 Dodge Dakota R/T rc swb
In need of some more goodies.
74 shortbed 406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
scottofksu

How long ago did you buy it? You should see how many days your state allows for you to back out of a contract on vehicles. For example, I'm originally from Kansas and you could basically back out of any contract within 30 days of it's signing... Hope it works out for you!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
mwmeador38

as much as i love old chevy trucks (like my 66) i would NEVER
buy a newer gm product again. had a 98 gmc 3500. the thing
self destructed on me when it was three years old and had only
76k on it. tried it again in 2007 with a new 1500. what a piece
of junk that was. the happiest day of my life was when it was
driven out of my driveway. just because gm made great vehicles
in the past doesn't mean that they still do today.
mwmeador38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Chevy Fleetside

Let me know what happens. I have friends that work in shops and do side work for alot less then what you are posting. A used engine will be a way to go and a hell of alot cheaper. Hopfully you can give that thing back.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottofksu View Post
How long ago did you buy it? You should see how many days your state allows for you to back out of a contract on vehicles. For example, I'm originally from Kansas and you could basically back out of any contract within 30 days of it's signing... Hope it works out for you!
California is a No Cooling Off state, meaning that unless something is written into the contract, once you sign the dotted line, you own it, period.

Reading his other thread, he had an option to return it within 3 days if he had paid $150 when he bought it or a $200 restocking fee after the fact. I guess he didn't do either.

Really sucks and why I tend to say away from used car dealers. I think all the later model used vehicles I have bought that were not private party, were all from new car dealerships. They tend to screw you less...
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
Bears63
...just another truck junkie..

I hate to say it Slow Build, but after reading that other thread it reminds me of exactly why I drive a '71 C10 as a daily driver. I know you want to pull a travel trailer. Old trucks will do that fine too. I realize you won't have all the fancy amenities, but you also have fewer hassles and something easier to work on. Just my $.02. I wish you luck with your battle with the Tahoe.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
64fleetside

Used 5.3's are like $700 at the salvage yard here-they wreck another one every day.
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
Indian113

I'd buy a used 5.3 , You already have a lot of miles on the truck! Just my opinion I could be wrong.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
spacedebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
California is a No Cooling Off state, meaning that unless something is written into the contract, once you sign the dotted line, you own it, period.

Not completely true. That is a common misconception that the car dealers try and encourage. There are a lot of laws to protect used car buyers.

The first is the "return option" that was offered. The $150 (that the dealer is required to offer by the state) is the first protection. The "restocking fee", thats something that the dealer will try to con you on. If you simply change your mind, they can charge that, but if the car is defective, they cannot charge it. They will try, but if you challenge it, the state will back you up.

Next, was the car advertised as "certified" or did it have any kind of warrenty? If yes to either, then the California "used car lemon law" will back you up and the dealer will have to make repairs. You are required to allow them to make resonable efforts to repair. After that you can get a refund. Also check with a new car dealer to have the computer checked. Sometimes they can pull the old codes out of the computer, even after having been cleared and maybe you can see what the dealer was trying to hide.

Lastly, even if the car was sold "As-Is", Have the truck checked to see if the fuel pump was replaced or not. Cant guess on this one, you have to know. If not, then because the salesman told you it was, the dealer is in violation of a verbal contract. And Verbal contracts are actionable in CA. In small claims court you can get back any costs involved in replacing the fuel pump and any repairs/damages caused buy it not being replaced. And if any of the current problems could have been diagnosed properly if the fuel pump had been replaced, you can be reimbursed for those repairs as well.

Now if you had purchased the car from a private party then Chevy_Mike would have been right. Sign and thats it. But since you did buy from a dealer, you have several options. Some require a bit of work and time, but there are recourses
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
70cst

Slow Build ... Sorry to read about these issues. I hope you get these issues resolved in your favor.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #13
hugger6933

After hearing that the low fuel light lights up meaning it is the sending unit not the dash gauge makes me think more than ever there was no pump put in. They are connected the fuel pump "module" would have a new sender unit [fuel level sensor] included in it. I hate hearing all this. It is guys like that making it hard for guys like me to continue to make my living. You don't ever hear well I bought this rebuilt truck form this man and drove it 100k without a problem. No all we hear are the horror stories of people buying used cars that are junk or not fixed properly. I have been selling rebuilders since 1987 and I live in a town with the population of 4115. Threr are second generation customers that I have, and I have repeaters . Isell to a lot of farmers for their labor to drive , it makes good business for them to buy a truck from me for say 6-9000 buskk instead of good title trucks for 14-20 thousand to do the same job. I am the only Dealer in my area that the bank will loan on a salvage or rebuilt title be cause the bankers know me and trust that I am putting out a good product that they feel safe in loaning on. sorry rant off. I really am sorry for your troubles hope that you canget it resolved
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #14
jocko

I absolutely cringe when I read your other post. And can sympathize. I bought my 01 Z71 new, the only new vehicle I've ever purchased (and it was an emergency thing, the shop that was changing my oil on my gorgeous 92 K1500 (I was stationed somewhere where I couldn't work on it for some time) pulled a Ferris Bueller and wrecked it on a joy ride). Despite how I came into it, I now have 170k and it's been pretty reliable. BUT, the fuel pumps are notorious for not living past 150k. This is USUALLY the source of your low fuel light - or, at the very least, it gets fixed in the process of swapping pumps. Someone posted in your other thread -pay the extra bucks for a Delphi pump, most others are a roll of the dice. ANYhoo - in my case, I had the annoying off/on/sometimes continuoius low fuel light (for those not familiar, it's an un-dimmable giant yellow caution light that blinds you at night if it's on). I swapped the pump because I was around 155k at the time in the hopes that it would fix the indicator. It didn't. Gauge cluster responsive also to inputs. The whole mess does pass thru the PCM, so the final conclusion was that it was a computer issue. And that is where I draw the line - so I fixed it with 3 precisely cut strips of black electrical tape that now cover the warning light and I hardly even notice it anymore. I fill up off the trip odometer anyway, always have.

I know that doesn't help in the big picture, and I feel for ya man, I really do. Come to think of it, I have had quite a few little things go south on this ol truck... in fact, my trans shat itself around the same time as the pump. Was about a week before I moved across the country, so had to drain the account to fix it - $3500 later, I was heading west, and broke, again. Awesome.

Anyway, at this point, with all the frustration involved, if there's any way to let go of it for your own sanity, it's probably about time. A lawyer might be a little cheaper than the a/c fix price though. Holy cow. I wish you luck and hopefully you can get it going again, and I hope you can find a way to do it without selling your old truck.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #15
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

wow...all i can say is i'm sorry to hear, & good luck...i'd definitely do everything possible to make sure that dealer/salesman doesn't get away with this

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:06 AM   #16
Slow Build

Thanks for all the comments of concern. I'm going to try to sell what I call my collision insurance stuff (basically parts I was collecting just in case of an accident). I have my parts truck on craigslist right now and I'll be sellecting more parts to sell so I can get a used 5.3 that I'm sure won't be the easiest thing to install. I also have some Audi stuff I don't need anymore. I think my wife will be going back to work after a long layoff next week so that will help a little but we are so behind on a lot of stuff right now so it will take a while for those fund to be available. I might have to live with the AC not working for a while though. Good thing it doesn't have leather seats it gets pretty hot here in the summer, which actually starts today. The battery is in and I'm not too concerned about the fuel gauge so I'll just fix stuff as I can and hope I can get the scumbag dealer to contribute something to the cause. The problem is that time really isn't on my side. To tell the truth probably the best thing I could do is get the 64 running good again so at least I have something to drive around town.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside

Old 06-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #17
Rich 5150 69

Hey Rich sorry for your misfortune.....keep your `64 thou if at all possible.
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 AM   #18
LT1 Burb

Whats your parts truck, I need a 65 short bed cab and frame only.To bad I didn't know you were looking for one but I just sold my 2001 Yukon XL SLT that I bought with 10K on it back in 01 and the first guy that came and looked at it bought it. I don't know if it was to cheap but got 7K for it and it had 165000 miles on it. I kept that truck cherry though and everything worked. I hate dealing with car lots so never do, I went to a dealer last saturday and had to shower when I got home because I felt so dirty. Best thing to do also is listen to that pit in the bottom of your stomache.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:17 AM   #19
Slow Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Burb View Post
Best thing to do also is listen to that pit in the bottom of your stomache.
Funny you say that because it wasn't working the day I bought it but my gut has been in pain since Fathersday and just keeps getting worse. I think I have an ulser from all this crap. I can hardly eat or sleep.

Here is a picture of the 64 frame, cab and bed parts that I have on craigslist as of today.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/3090046472.html
Attached Images

Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside

Old 06-21-2012, 02:23 AM   #20
Slow Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 View Post
Hey Rich sorry for your misfortune.....keep your `64 thou if at all possible.
I'm going to do everything I can to keep it. It will probably that longer to fix the Tahoe that way but I think it would be worth the wait. My back may not like my 64 but the rest of me love it. Unfortunately with all my money going to the Tahoe it's going to take me even longer to get the funds up to do the 64 right.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside

Old 06-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #21
Dino Driver

I think you will be happier in the long run. You know you will regret selling the 64. I don't know if you think this applies to you but I have a rule, never sell paid off toys to go into debt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dino Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:51 AM   #22
Slow Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Driver View Post
You know you will regret selling the 64.
I know that for a fact. About half my computer is a collection of pictures, websites, technical info and want to do lists for my truck (the other half of the computer memory is pictures of my 7 year old daughter that is also a work in progress). It's the truck I've wanted for over 15 years. It just needs to be finished (or started for that matter).
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside

Old 06-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #23
neverwinter

about 10 years ago i bought a used 2000 or so fprd explorer - eddie bauer edition, from a shi&&y used dealer in everett mass. i literally did everything wrong you can imagine - told him i wanted to buy right now, financed it nearly 100%, no test drive , no neutral inspection, first year model, blah blah AND i worked as an IT guy in a pretty good sized law firm in boston.

anyway within a week the exhaust had gone, brakes were gone, etc etc. Mass has a lemon law however here's the rub: i had a lawyer contact the guy because he was not working with me. as soon as that happened he clammed up and that was it. the lawyer advised me that i could go to small claims court and i'd prob win and even be able to go after 3x's damages, but in the end the guy would just pack up and move on. most likely hes done it to many others and he'd just declare bankruptcy and i'd spend time and money trying to collect 10 cents on each dollar. essentially winning and collecting the cash are very different things.

its a sad way for someone to make a living - to chintz someone out of cash esp when knowing they are in a bind. all can hope for is he has his judgement day or karma gets him back.
neverwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #24
LT1 Burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Build View Post
Funny you say that because it wasn't working the day I bought it but my gut has been in pain since Fathersday and just keeps getting worse. I think I have an ulser from all this crap. I can hardly eat or sleep.

Here is a picture of the 64 frame, cab and bed parts that I have on craigslist as of today.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/3090046472.html
Dang, if that was a 65 it would be going on my trailer.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #25
C/10 King

Rich, wow what a bummer, I really hope things take a swing for the better, I have a real good friend that's a fantastic mechanic and very reasonable plus he always has extra motors lying around, PM if you want his number.
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote