The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
JORGIE95961

Non ac to ac... What parts to reuse?

Trying this out.. I cut out my dash and two wholes for heater core... aside from boltholes i think thats all the cutting I will need. My question is what the heck are all these parts and which ones can i reuse? i know i can use all teh cases and vents bt what about the other radiator looking thing n the box, all the little valves and components? can i clean or flush any of em.. ? alo when its al puttogether can i use R134 instead?
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Re: Non ac to ac... What parts to reuse?

ttt

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Do you mean the factory AC?

The boxes on the firewall that contain the heater core and evaporator, are different. The holes in the firewalls are different. I have a picture that someone else put on here one time, that had the two pictured in an overlay, so you could see the difference.

For my money, I'd go with an aftermarket and make it a lot more tidy than the OEM setup will ever be. But, if you're doing a restoration...then, you have to do what you have to do.

I have all of the components that I removed from my '69 air cab, and NONE of it was gonna be put back.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
1955 mancave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JORGIE95961 View Post
Trying this out.. I cut out my dash and two wholes for heater core... aside from boltholes i think thats all the cutting I will need. My question is what the heck are all these parts and which ones can i reuse? i know i can use all teh cases and vents bt what about the other radiator looking thing n the box, all the little valves and components? can i clean or flush any of em.. ? alo when its al puttogether can i use R134 instead?
you can not use R134 in a system that was R12, the seals will not hold up, as far as the other stuff you may want to hold on to everything untill you figure out what direction you want to go. i would also think about a Vintage air or other aftermarket set up then you could use r134.
1955 mancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JORGIE95961 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post

The boxes on the firewall that contain the heater core and evaporator, are different. The holes in the firewalls are different. I have a picture that someone else put on here one time, that had the two pictured in an overlay, so you could see the difference.

For my money, I'd go with an aftermarket and make it a lot more tidy than the OEM setup will ever be. But, if you're doing a restoration...then, you have to do what you have to do.

I have all of the components that I removed from my '69 air cab, and NONE of it was gonna be put back.
I converted my non-AC truck to AC and would do it again.
An aftermarket system is north of $1000 - and I've seen posts here that everything you need isn't in the box. In other words after you pay that money you still need to go get stuff to make it work.
I have less than $300 into mine.

You do NOT re-use the heater core box on the outside of the firewall. Basically you need to find an AC truck getting parted out and grab EVERYTHING related to the HVAC system. There are dimples for every hole you need to cut to make it all fit. You need to modify the firewall by adding some metal and cutting out other metal.

You CAN convert it to R134a. I did. I did it that way simply because
1. It is legal. (You're supposed to have a license to legally play with R12).
2. R134a is still on the shelf at Wal*Mart.
You'll never get R134a to blow as cold as R12 but with a properly adjusted POA valve you'll get it good enough.

You can read about it here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478564
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I used Freeze-12, in place of R-12 in a '93 Celica. It did great. I got it at my NAPA store. No license needed.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
JORGIE95961

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post

GOT IT ! I already hav eth esuitcases mounted heater core and what not.. although I know the hole on the firewall for the heater core side dont match up . there is still enough of a hole there for all the heat i'll be needing.. I disagree with not being able to use 134 on an r12.. ive done it withiout changing any seals but obviously this time i will.
from what i figure i can use everyting on the fire wall . modify the evaporator. and just install a drier, expaqnsion valve and compressor off of anything cheap i can buy.
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote