The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
C10TN

Newb Needs Help From The Experts - HELP!

Hi all... I've been lurking here for some time and learning a lot about the 60-66 Series. Wanted one for a long time and finally found THE 1964 truck for me last week.

Went tonight with cash in hand and before the deal was done discovered the VIN plate on the drivers door jam does not match the title the seller has. All is good up to the factory code and serial number (4C144)... but both factory code and 6 digit number following are different. I am SO bummed. What do I do?

Is there a way to make sure this truck is legally legit? Is there another VIN plate somewhere that I am not aware of? Do I just need to forget it and look elsewhere?

Any help with this would be very much appreciated.
C10TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Newb Needs Help From The Experts - HELP!

Welcome to the best site for truck info on the planet, a great group of guys and gals here. Short of haveing a vin verifcation done by either TSP or Metro I don't know what to tell you and knowing that the vin's don't match may be asking for headaches. Maybe call someone at the state police headquarters and ask them what to do. If it is the right truck for you it will be worth the extra homework to get the deal done. It may be as simple as having a state police vin attached
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Newb Needs Help From The Experts - HELP!

In my opinion – as a potential buyer if the title and VIN don’t match it has either had a cab swap or must be considered stolen. Either way, this is something the current owner has to resolve with state authorities. If the cab was swapped, some type of proof must be submitted that allows assignment of a new state issued VIN.

Post #3 on the following thread shows where a second VIN is stamped on a Chevy frame. If it’s a GMC the tag on the body is the only one there is. This may provide a number that matches the title, but it doesn’t resolve the problem with the body tag not matching.

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you find the truck of your dreams.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316902