The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
E.Furgal
Account Suspended

1971-2 brake master and booster

Hello.
at a junkyard crawl, I picked a master and booster off a '72 (not sure if it's a 72 as the sticker was gone and the 72 door panels could've been changed sometime in it's life)
I got everything from the pushrod out..
the booster and master are good for cores and not much else.. but the brackets and rod are useable..

my question is there seems to be 2 different set up's used in these years..
bendix and Delco Moraine Boosters
and the masters they bolt to them different the piston rod depth..
how would one tell what one he has..?
does both bolt up to the firewall bracket and rod or are they different depending on booster/master set up.
if both bolt up to the firewall bracket and push rod what set up is better?
or is one set up for 1/2 ton and one 3/4 ton..
this is a disc/drum set up.. the doner and the receiver trucks
is one set up better if a bigblock is a likelyhood.. (booster size/clearance)
I'd rather not order both type and send one set back.. I can as I work at an auto parts house as a 2nd job. but rather not.. if I can help it..

thanks for any help..

Last edited by E.Furgal; 06-21-2012 at 10:27 PM.
E.Furgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: 1971-2 brake master and booster

First of all,you have exactly what you want in getting the complete set-up from the same truck because mix matching is an issue. 3/4t and 1t parts are different from 1/2t. But,in just one series (such as 1/2t) there were two different set-ups from two mfgrs. All the parts interchange,which is where the issues come from and that's why have a complete set-up from a know vehicle is good. The place you run into problems is with the push rod length.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
E.Furgal
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
First of all,you have exactly what you want in getting the complete set-up from the same truck because mix matching is an issue. 3/4t and 1t parts are different from 1/2t. But,in just one series (such as 1/2t) there were two different set-ups from two mfgrs. All the parts interchange,which is where the issues come from and that's why have a complete set-up from a know vehicle is good. The place you run into problems is with the push rod length.
from what I've been told by a seasoned parts guy (30years commercial)
the masters the part that the booster pushes on are different, and the booster part.. pushing..

I could order one booster and the two different masters and see what ones the correct one..
the reman(set) doesn't list what part # master goes with (for exp) the bendix booster..

I can get the reman set.. but I'd rather get the reman booster and a NEW master.. and is why I posted this.. other than not knowing if the fire wall bracket was any different.. I figured it be the same for both 1/2 ton set up's

guess I'll just order the delco/morain booster and both masters and see what master lines up.. correctly..
Old 06-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Yeah,I guess what I was saying is the parts will go together,even mismatched,but won't work right together. All the firewall mounting is the same through all the models. I believe if you posted a picture of the m/c you have we could determine which one you need. I see what you are saying about wanting a new m/c and wanting to be sure you get the same maker/design. Not sure there was any rhyme or reason to which one came on a truck,maybe just two different jobbers for whatever reason. I think at Napa they have books that show pictures,if you have a good store near you with someone willing to look that far into it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
72 Super

IMO. the Delco Marine boosters look better (they have the triangle shaped indention's all the way around the front of the booster, not that it really makes a difference.) They used the thicker oval shaped master with 2 bails running across the master cylinder holding the lid on.

The Bendix booster is more flat on the front and they used the skinner shaped master with 1 bail to hold the lid on running the length on the master cylinder.

Hope this helps,
Ray
Old 06-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
E.Furgal
Account Suspended

any info helps, thanks