The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
SRVBLUES64

cam question

I have a 350 I cant seem to get it to run good I have 14 inch of vac distr set good I think it idles good even with the cam I have in it. I have an avenger 575 new when I drive it theres just no power no pull with the secondaries it bogs down It idles good in drive and park, My father in law says its the cam which is new, I have a video of it running if that helps any thoughts
SRVBLUES64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: cam question

Sounds like the timing is slow. With a performance cam you need lots of timing advance. Make sure you dont have some plug wires crossed.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
SRVBLUES64

thanks for the reply, seems that if I advance the timing or retard the timing it will stall or act funny, so I believe I found a happy place. I can put it in park and it sound good and in gear its fine also but when I drive it it has no balls and it pops out the back Ive changed the springs in the secondaries but no change it just bogs down when I open it up when I installed the cam (new) I noticed that it would not spin freely I used all ne lifters and push rods, Vac at 14 I guess the video is not a good idea
Old 06-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
Sounds like the timing is slow. With a performance cam you need lots of timing advance. Make sure you dont have some plug wires crossed.
My thoughts also....can you post the specs on the cam? (duration @ .050). crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
cableguy0

What do u mean the cam wouldnt spin freely? It should roll over relatively easy without the valve adjustment done. Was valve adjustment and break-in done properly? What are the specs on the engine itself? What kind of cam is it?and what model?
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
SRVBLUES64

This is what I know when I installed the cam Ebay Cam, I lubed it up good installed and when it was in I could not freely spin by hand Ive been going over ebay to fine the one I bought but no luck so right now I have no Idea duration lift or anything. Its a 79 83 350 350t what exactly does a engine do if the cams bad, could I have 1 bad wires ebay junk also
Old 06-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
cableguy0

Thats a gigantic red flag. The cam should spin freely before you put the timing chain on and install lifters etc. If the cam wouldnt spin you should have stopped right there and found the problem. I would be draining the oil and checking for pieces of cam bearing in the oil.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
SRVBLUES64

ouch should I pull the pan or just drain the oil from the drian plug?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
cableguy0

If it was me I would be tearing the engine down to assess the damage. The cam being tight almost definately caused damage. Do you know what brand the cam was?