The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
Touchdown67

Steele door rubber

I purchased a pair of Steele door rubbers for my 65 and I am ready to put them on. Is there any trick to installing them correctly?
Touchdown67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Steele door rubber

not sure if yours are the same as the ones I ordered from LMC, but they didn't have the metal "backing" that was built into the old one. It came as a rubber cut to fit rubber, which looks like it will never fit. You have to get it on (either with tape to test or with glue to keep it there) and then close the doors for a day or two.
Initially the rubber seems too thick and can be frustrating if your fitting doors at the same time. After 1-2 days it breaks in and fits well with the door. It was a bit frustrating.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Dunenutt
Newbee

Never used steele seals, but if they are glue in it's all the same.

I start in a corner where the seal is glued together. First of all tear off about 20 strips of masking tape and stick them where you can reach. Apply glue sparingly about a foot at a time in the rubber channel. position it with the tape strips. The glue sticks super fast. repeat until you reach bottom. Leave the ends un glued, or punch some holes in the seal to let the air pressure out.

Alot of the re-pop seals are very stiff and make the door hard to close. If you are not happy with them after a couple of weeks, try it again with these http://www.soffseal.com/store/main.aspx
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
64shortbox

Yes, if you haven't opened the package return them, from what I've read they're junk. Now buy these from GMC Paul instead.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=gmc
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I was unsuccessful installing Steele door gaskets on my truck. I had Chevy Duty (Classicparts) sponge seals on my truck for about 10 years and they remained like new when I pulled them off for another paint job. The only issue I ever had with them is that they are not made to the exact specifications of the originals. In fact there is nothing on the market from any supplier that duplicates the OEM seals. Since the Chevy Duty versions were big and spongy, I had to relax the door latches in the beginning to get the doors to close.

With the new paint job, I figured I’d try a different brand and since Steele Rubber is highly rated as the best in the business I wanted to see if they were closer to OEM.

The door seals I received from Steele were more like hard vinyl tubing and had no sponge factor at all, and very little flexibility. I used lots of masking tape and every clamp I had to get them to conform with the dog leg at the base of the windshield. They would not stay in place. They were also much smaller than the Chevy Duty seals, leaving a big gap between the gasket and the edge of the body that was previously covered with the old gasket. This left a nasty looking edge with old adhesive showing. At the bottom corner near the front of the door sill, the new seal was incompressible. Attempting to tighten down the door sill to compress the gasket tore the hole out of the stainless sill plate.

At that point I gave up, ripped them off and reinstalled the previous gaskets which continue to work just fine. I hope you have better luck.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
Touchdown67

Well we went ahead and installed the Steele rubber today with 3M black adhesive. It took about two hours from removal to new and it looks and fits great. Doors close nice and tight. The drivers door has a few wrinkles on the inside of the door, but I would think the Arizona heat should smooth all those out. Thanks Trent for the hard work......
Touchdown67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Glad to hear it went well and you're pleased with the results.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
Pablo22

Do the 67-72 seals fit the 60-66 or am I missing something? I went to the website and it looks like they are all 67-72? Talking about GMCPaul's seals.
Pablo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
chainsaw

I ordered mine from classic parts. Glued and taped them on, fit fine. Only problem is ,I did this in March and I still have to slam the doors HARD to get them to close. Sometimes takes two or three tries.
chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote