The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
Lugnutt

Any Seat Cover Replacement Guidelines?

I just got in my new herringbone seat covers from Athey's and was wondering if there were any videos showing the best way to streatch and attach the new upholstry covers on? I've fixed all the springs and my cushions are in good shape so I'm ready to go. I'm sure I could figure it out eventually (I think) but if I want to do a really good job, I'm sure there are some tips out there from those of you who have done it before.

Please share your experience with me so I can end up with a good install.

Thanks,
Lugnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
jhaymon

Re: Any Seat Cover Replacement Guidelines?

guideline? get a heat gun and an extra pair of hands. if you have a good ceramic hair dryer that will work without the fear of burning the seats. dont let your wife know. mine almost killed me, but the seats are perfect.
jhaymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
Lugnutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaymon View Post
guideline? get a heat gun and an extra pair of hands. if you have a good ceramic hair dryer that will work without the fear of burning the seats. dont let your wife know. mine almost killed me, but the seats are perfect.
Thanks for the advice. I used clamps to compress the bottom seat cushion while I hog tied it, came out nice and I didn't need heat or extra hands. The seat back was a little tougher. I found that setting it in the sun for a few minutes loosened the naugahyde enough to let it stretch into place. I had both my side springs broken so I ordered zig-zag spring material and made new ones. I also put a layer of 1/8" dense rubber over the lower seat springs before I placed the cushion material down to help tranfer the weight over more springs when I sit on it. I also had to add 1/2" foam to the areas of the seat covers that didn't have the padded herringbone inserts so it all came out flush in the end. It all came out nice. I'll see if I can upload pics if anybody is interested.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
1972RedNeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaymon View Post
but the seats are perfect.

That's all that matters.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

I never needed to use any heat with seat covers but maybe I'm the exception. In most cases, I can even pull the fabric with my fingers rather than using any tools. Even those that I added extra padding to didn't require these.

Best advice I can think of is to start in the middle and work outward when installing the hog rings. Occasionally look at the upholstery side checking for any wrinkles. An occasional thump on the upholstery side from your fist can help work it into position.

Another good tip is to make sure all your springs are good. This is the time to fix those so your not sitting 4 inches lower than normal. LOL

I recently did the seat in my wrecker and found a broken spring on the driver side. (typical area from sliding in and out) Got a good used one in a junkyard. I took one from a passenger side so I knew it would be good.

I find reupholstering seats a very rewarding experience! Something that can be done in only a few hours (less once you get practice) and you get to see your work everytime you open the door! I've done many so far; 66 Impala, 72 Chevelle, 66 Chevelle, 71 Chevy truck and lastly the 69 wrecker shown below.

Now car headliners.... I HATE DOING THEM!!!
Attached Images

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
jhaymon

Quote:
never needed to use any heat with seat covers but maybe I'm the exception. In most cases, I can even pull the fabric with my fingers rather than using any tools. Even those that I added extra padding to didn't require these.
it depends on core material used. i usually cut my own pads because it's so much cheaper and i use a denser foamcore than lmc and yearone uses. i used a brothers reup set on a 48 not too long ago and it was hell, but the foam was super dense.
jhaymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
cdowns

i throw seatcovers in the dryer for 5-10minutes b4 trying to install to soften them up
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
custom1970

If you lightly spray the foam with a dry silicone it will allow the material to slide into place pretty good. Try "slapping" it with your hand to move it around. You may also want to add a little Dacron padding to the seats, unless the foam is new it probably has lost some of it's padding. A little dacron (white padding, similar to what a dog crew has inside it) goes a long way. I spray glued a layer over my foam and it made the seat look new. Not sure where to find it, got mine from my dad. BTW, he owned and ran an upholstery shop for over 30 yrs.
1965 Chris Craft 17' wood ski boat (SN #0001)
custom1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Lugnutt

great advice my friends, thanks. Everything went well but I did have a minor issue when I attached the seat back to the bottom. There was a gap between the two sections near the ends. I put the whole seat assembly out in the sun for about 10 minutes and massaged the warm fabric until it stretched enough to close the gap. I did apply some dry silicone before I started, but only to the metal frame parts. The dacron sounds like a good idea, wish I would have asked my questions earlier.

I bought my herringbone seat covers from Athey's and I couldn't have asked for a better fit. I would have paid extra though to have them include the 1/2" foam to the back side of the vinyl so it matched thickness with the herringbone inserts. It wasn't hard to do, just a little time consuming running around buying the foam and glue and cutting it to size.

Thanks again for all your input