The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
406 Q-ship

Did anyone see this

Did anyone watch Trucks TV this weekend and see the 71 Cheyenne SWB fleet they picked up. Looks like a pretty nice truck. They say it was a BB truck that has a 1970 Corvette 454 in it, probably a LS-5, Which of course came from a Corvette....not anyone of the thousands that were installed in Impalas, Caprices, and or Monte Carlo/Chevelle SS454, because everyone knows if it the same as the general engine but came in a Corvette it is better

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Re: Did anyone see this

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship View Post
Did anyone watch Trucks TV this weekend and see the 71 Cheyenne SWB fleet they picked up. Looks like a pretty nice truck. They say it was a BB truck that has a 1970 Corvette 454 in it, probably a LS-5, Which of course came from a Corvette....not anyone of the thousands that were installed in Impalas, Caprices, and or Monte Carlo/Chevelle SS454, because everyone knows if it the same as the general engine but came in a Corvette it is better
LOL, I think I'm going to start telling people that mine is an ultra swank top secret Biscayne edition C-10, that's why it has the 396 in it. Just to get the confused looks.
JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
70cst

I enjoyed the 9MPG stat

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
PAWS 72

Wasn't there a craigslisting for it a week or 2 ago on here? Yea i saw it.

They will ruin it. you watch.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

It's a factory Big Block shortbed Cheyenne.....and they are putting a small block in it. That's TV for ya.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
leddzepp

Half of our trucks I see advertised for sale have a Corvette engine in them.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

We don't watch those shows. All they do is throw money at whatever the project is. When there is no budget constraints, no lack of parts sources and all the equipment/skills required any of us could do what they do,, only the finished product would be more realistic if we did it.
specialtyretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
no moa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
It's a factory Big Block shortbed Cheyenne.....and they are putting a small block in it. That's TV for ya.
I was thinking that also. WTH.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
E.Furgal
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyretail View Post
We don't watch those shows. All they do is throw money at whatever the project is. When there is no budget constraints, no lack of parts sources and all the equipment/skills required any of us could do what they do,, only the finished product would be more realistic if we did it.
think you should watch musclecar and their olds hurst clone build..
they show you the easy way(store bought) and the make it yourself way..
the rear bumper and spoiler are sick
E.Furgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
E.Furgal
Account Suspended

Quote:
might be because the ls engine will make more useable power and better mpg and pull more than the bbc with 3 speed could even dream of.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
1972BackInBlackC10

correct me if im wrong im young so i might be, this factory "big block" truck had 400 emblems on the fenders i was under the impression that the 400 was a small block not a big block
1972BackInBlackC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BackInBlackC10 View Post
correct me if im wrong im young so i might be, this factory "big block" truck had 400 emblems on the fenders i was under the impression that the 400 was a small block not a big block
400 badges designate a big block in our trucks. It is actually a 402 (396 punched .030 over)

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Furgal View Post
might be because the ls engine will make more useable power and better mpg and pull more than the bbc with 3 speed could even dream of.
My point was why do this with a factory big block truck when there are plenty of small block units out there to be had. Big block shortbed Cheyennes are extremely rare, seems a waste not to restore this one. I believe this one would be worth more restored than modified.
But like I said....that's TV for ya.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #14
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

It's not about the vehicles guys.It's about selling parts.You can't sell crate engines if you keep the big block.They will use a TCI or other aftermarket tranny that would cost any of us $1500 and put some bu++ ugly 24 in rims that run a couple grand a set,then paint it and buy a complete LMC interior kit and all aftermarket chrome for it.All to sell parts.I hate to see a rare BB truck done that way also,but that's what they will do.They are shills for parts companies not true car/truck guys.Besides that,"What's a budget",when the advertisers are giving you all the parts free just to showcase them.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

Man,, you said it....
specialtyretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #16
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
It's not about the vehicles guys.It's about selling parts.You can't sell crate engines if you keep the big block.They will use a TCI or other aftermarket tranny that would cost any of us $1500 and put some bu++ ugly 24 in rims that run a couple grand a set,then paint it and buy a complete LMC interior kit and all aftermarket chrome for it.All to sell parts.I hate to see a rare BB truck done that way also,but that's what they will do.They are shills for parts companies not true car/truck guys.Besides that,"What's a budget",when the advertisers are giving you all the parts free just to showcase them.
Agreed on all points. And not to mention that they most likely won't even speak to Nate Porter or Rob MacGregor before just ordering something from Hotchkis or Ridetech. Not to say that Nate or Rob's stuff would be any less expensive in the long run, but a suspension system from either "house" would be a hell of a lot more competitive and desirable for any of us to have in the end.

And I'll bet that they won't go with the $1500 TCI transmission, oh no. It'll be the 6 speed auto, $4K-$6K easy by the time you're done ordering all the stuff you'll need for it. I don't think they would get the paddle shifters to go with it, but I could be wrong.

Couple that with an Edelbrock blower for that nicely prepared LS motor and you'll see 5-600 horsepower easy to go along with MPGs in the mid to high 20s (if not better).

Add to the pile a complete new braking system from either Brembo or Wilwood.

They set it all up in the intro guys!:

"Wow, this old truck sure does sound nice for being as old, slow, heavy, and inefficient as it is. Sure would be nice to make it be able to handle, stop, and go as well as look and sound as nice as it does."

All for the low low price of about $25,000.00 (not counting labor, or the initial cost of the truck of course.)

Heck yeah it would be AWESOME for most of us to be able to do that kind of thing to our projects. But I think that we're all a little jealous of their ability to just throw enough money at the problem(s) to make them go away.

Speaking personally, I'm also a little morbidly curious to see what kind of silliness they're going to pull on such a nice, desirable, rare, well optioned truck.
JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #17
big_al_71

Cant wait to see the finished product...

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #18
MAK191

I'm really shocked by all of the negative comments here. Well maybe not. I like it and I don't care how they build it. I was just happy to see them picking a 71.
MAK191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #19
cardreams

would love to know then why does my big block get 17 MPG not 9 like they say
cardreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #20
Stoney
Farm Truck

I think it's been replaced with a 454. Real nice looking truck.

Mike
Jersey Village, Tx
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #21
cardreams

oh ya also they say pretty common to have a BIG BLOCK lol really ?????
cardreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #22
E.Furgal
Account Suspended

Quote:
My point was why do this with a factory big block truck when there are plenty of small block units out there to be had. Big block shortbed Cheyennes are extremely rare, seems a waste not to restore this one. I believe this one would be worth more restored than modified.
But like I said....that's TV for ya.
to some people, all that matters is it's a clean truck..
not that it's a bbc factory truck..
Old 06-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #23
1972BackInBlackC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
400 badges designate a big block in our trucks. It is actually a 402 (396 punched .030 over)
thanks leddzepp learn something new every day
1972BackInBlackC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #24
406 Q-ship

Can we really be sure that it was a 400 truck? If it is, the guys on Trucks TV might not want to build a nose heavy pig that plow the north forty before the tires try to turn in. They seem to be heading in a direction of handling over drag racer on this build (that may change it has in the past) I understand not liking when a factory rare vehicle gets torn up for the sake of media, I still cringe when that dumba** Jesse James F-ed up a real SS454 El Camino to build a street stock.

I hear what some are saying about they will just have parts given to them from the manufactures that are (in whole) beyond the means of the average enthusist. Tell me have you never read a magazine or seen one of TV shows that showed a particular modification and went to and/or installed it on your own vehicle....remember you DON'T have to build them EXACTLY like they do in the media. The whole idea for media builds is not like a bunch of buddies hanging out comparing their builds, it is to get coverage for parts suppliers. Do you whine when movies show people living in NY on a beer budget and they have a 4k Flat screen on the wall? You do get it is called advertizing?

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #25
E.Furgal
Account Suspended

I like how "others"!!!!!! get bent on how the OWNER builds his/her vehicle..