The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
summerj

What Water Temp. is everyone Running At?

Just installed a large Champion Aluminum Radiator. I modified a Large OEM 70's cutlass or impala? Fan Shroud. Installed a plastic 6 blade OEM FAN with clutch. seems to pull a god amount of air.
Running a 700R4 (with chevorlet OEM trans cooler) with 350 motor. 160 degree thermostat with 50/50 antifreeze. Cant seem to come down below 200 degrees.. 190 on the HWY. I also have new AC with condenser in front of the radiator. I thought about installing a pusher electric fan on front but room is tight.

Anyone else running this High? I know this is not an extreme temp but I would like to see it come down.
summerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: What Water Temp. is everyone Running At?

You have'nt by chance changed to a serpintine setup are you? or maybe the fan you said it is a plastic 6 blade do you know what it is off of? If it was off of a truck that had the serp. belt the fins are pointed in the wrong direction as the fan and stuff run tin the opposite direction as before when everything had V belts. Ok let me try to do this with less words. Later models with the single flat belt has a water pump fan and clutch and fan blade that are backwards from the old stuff. With the mismatch of parts but with the good stuff you have it will run warm but not hot until you get stopped in trafficor the like
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
You have'nt by chance changed to a serpintine setup are you? or maybe the fan you said it is a plastic 6 blade do you know what it is off of? If it was off of a truck that had the serp. belt the fins are pointed in the wrong direction as the fan and stuff run tin the opposite direction as before when everything had V belts. Ok let me try to do this with less words. Later models with the single flat belt has a water pump fan and clutch and fan blade that are backwards from the old stuff. With the mismatch of parts but with the good stuff you have it will run warm but not hot until you get stopped in trafficor the like
"seems to pull a good amount of air". so if it is pulling air it must be working.
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerj View Post
Just installed a large Champion Aluminum Radiator. I modified a Large OEM 70's cutlass or impala? Fan Shroud. Installed a plastic 6 blade OEM FAN with clutch. seems to pull a god amount of air.
Running a 700R4 (with chevorlet OEM trans cooler) with 350 motor. 160 degree thermostat with 50/50 antifreeze. Cant seem to come down below 200 degrees.. 190 on the HWY. I also have new AC with condenser in front of the radiator. I thought about installing a pusher electric fan on front but room is tight.

Anyone else running this High? I know this is not an extreme temp but I would like to see it come down.

I wrote this over on cheytalk.
"it all depends on your system and what you are doing with it. water boils at 212F. when using a pressure cap; for every lb of pressure it raises the boiling point 3 degrees. if you are using a 50/50 mix with anti freeze it raises the boiling point another 18 degrees F. orig your truck had a 7lb cap. so 212 + 3x7=21 + 18 = 251 degrees before it will boil. you probably are now running either a 13 or 15 lb cap=39 or 45 degrees which could give you 212+45+18=275 degrees F before it will boil. do you have a problem at 220F? This is why idiot lights were put in instead of guages.
back in the early 60 these were a good size rad, but progressively the frontal area got smaller in cars, rads got smaller, so they compensated with higher pressure
on the orig v8 model in the 60 they also ran shrouds. that fan has to be in the right relationship with the shroud to be efficient. if you are running a later sbc with long water pump, it will not work efficiently
ron "

i would suggest getting yourself a good mechanical temp guage to check your temp. and where the temp may be the highest for your eng. get a temp guage that will read up up to 300F.
as above you can calculate your boiling point. you may be quite fine running at 220 or so with no problems. a 160 thermostat doesn't really regulate anything for you as it will always be open
the question would be if you didn't look at your temp guage now to see what your temp was , would you be having overheating problems; is it boiling over?
ron
this nothing new. I was taught this just about 50 years ago.
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
64fleetside

Same boat here-mine was over 200 all day yesterday-and have I added a 12" puller in front of the OEM engine driven fan, wired to come on w/AC. It was over 100* air temp yesterday too.

I'm thinking I need one of those aluminum Champion rads...
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I run at 190 max, Lq4 w/built 4l80e. I'm using a be-cool aluminum radiator and Derale fan cooled trans cooler.

I would be unhappy running 220 average.
If you want, try running distilled water and water wetter only. Coolant doesn't as much for cooling as it does for preventing freezing...aka anti-freeze. You may not see a change, but in some cases it can be worth a try.
Check to make sure you are actually circulating the coolant, and don't have a blockage somewhere in the system.

As hugger said, the wrong year fan could result in the blades being faced improperly. A cooling fan with the blades the wrong way (pusher operating as puller or vice versa), you lose near or over 20% of cooling capability. it will still move air, and could seem to work, but not provide the cooling capacity you need.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
brokenspoke

try running super unleaded gas....might be suprised of the temp then
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Mine has a 180 thermostat and normally runs 180-185 with a manual transmission and no A/C. When it had an automatic transmission and A/C I ran a 160 thermostat and the engine frequently ran 200-205 in the summer with the same radiator and fan. The trans cooler and A/C condenser created more heat and blocked more airflow than my cooling system tolerated. I needed both a bigger radiator and more fan efficiency for dependable summer travel.

Sounds like you might need either a shroud that fits the fan tighter or covers more of the radiator, or perhaps a twin electric fan instead. Also you might double check the timing. Too much advance will tend to make the engine to run hotter.

Edit -

Until I saw TR65's input I forgot I'm also running a Stewart 13113 Stage 1 water pump and a high flow Robertshaw thermostat:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EMP-13113/

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/tec...ech_Tips_3.htm

Last edited by markeb01; 06-26-2012 at 10:40 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
TR65

I run the champion radiator and run 193 (thermostat setting) with no fan running unless idling in traffic for some time. (And of course the AC runs the fans more).

The other side of the equation is that you have to circulate a lot of water. So I would check the water pump, pulley size, direction of rotation, impeller worn?

Good luck,

TR

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
Rich 5150 69

I would think he needs to change thermostat to 180 or 192, give the coolant more radiator time.
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
'63GENIII

Serpentine here, 7 blade steel fan with clutch, 195 deg. tstat. Consistently runs at 190 except when towing in 100+ deg. weather. Then it sits at 210 with the fan locking and unlocking at speed. Quick note on the serpentine drive, for the BBC the pump is reverse rotation. Not sure about the SBC.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
summerj

Thanks for all of the input. I will see if I can get a picture of the fan. It is an older OEM fan. Not sure if it came off a serp system or conventional system? The water pump is brand new. The shroud fits the radiator really tight . As for changing the thermostat from 160 to 190 "to allow more radiator time" I am not sure how that will work? I thought when the thermostat is open, its ALL the way open.
summerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
Dunenutt
Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerj View Post
Thanks for all of the input. I will see if I can get a picture of the fan. It is an older OEM fan. Not sure if it came off a serp system or conventional system? The water pump is brand new. The shroud fits the radiator really tight . As for changing the thermostat from 160 to 190 "to allow more radiator time" I am not sure how that will work? I thought when the thermostat is open, its ALL the way open.
You want the thermostat to cycle. It opens at say 195, allows cool water to cool the motor to 190, closes, and starts the process again. If the water is allowed to sit in the radiator for even a few seconds, it cools off much better.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote