The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
rems

towing an airstream

Hi everybody,
i'm rémi and I live in southern france, on the french riviera. I have a 55 task force, a GT500 2007 and i just sold a beautiful 66 mustang convertible.

My dream would be to tow an airstream with the pick up. I read already on the forum few threads but i never found any answers... So i need ur help !

Here are the mods that I've done so far : IFS jaguar XJ6, IRS jaguar XJ6, 4 disk brakes, power steering, power brakes. Engine is the 265 ci rebuild, three speed manual transmission, every hose, lines, filter, belt.... are new.
The truck runs without any problem I just came back from the alps ( 400 miles round trip) execpt gas price ...no problem !!

I have no hitch, so what kind oh hitch can i install ?
How do i plug the airstream on the truck? What kind of electic harness do i need?

If someone have done it before, please post pics!!

Thanks for your help
Attached Images

rems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
rems

Re: towing an airstream

i forgot, right now i'm in the process of installing air ride. Should be done at the end of the week...It's a little bit different installation that your are used to see...but it works!:! you'll see soon...
Old 06-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
G&R's57GMC

What is your gear ratio ? A 3.73 or 3.90 would be the way to go depending on the weight of the Airstream. The little ones start at 4200# and get heavier as the size increases.

I found a U-Haul receiver part # 75133 Its for a Chevy Venture van that only requires drilling a few new holes to mount it.

Note: The pics are of my long bed chassis. Will work the same on a short bed.
Attached Images

G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
G&R's57GMC

As for wiring you'll need to add an electric brake controller to your truck, http://www.etrailer.com/faq-brakecontroller.aspx along with a 7 wire flat blade Bargman connector for the trailer to hook up to.
http://www.bargman.com/content/produ...1565%20&part=0

7-Way Connector - Car End

Designed for RV trailers
Heavy duty plastic design resists rusting, poor appearance and difficulty in plug removal. Vinyl inserts keep dust and dirt out.

7-Way Super Sealed Connector w/ Cable - Car End

Prewired 7-way car end sealed with 2, 4, 7 or 9 ft. of UL listed 7-way cable. Solid brass terminals, housing of industrial-strength, glass-filled thermoplastic, door with EPDM rubber gasket and heavy duty stainless steel spring. Manufactured with UL listed PVC for flexibility and features molded construction to encapsulate terminals and wires. Patent Pending.

Here's a couple of vintage Airstreams for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
G&R's57GMC

Here ya go, enjoy .
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
OrrieG

My goal eventually too. Don't know if I can afford an Airstream, may have to settle for one of the other 50's aluminum manufacturers. I got my hitch at a yard sale and modified it to fit around the rear gas tank, looks similar to the Uhaul unit. I made it side mount, all that weight on the bottom flanges just bothered me.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Wish I could give you some answers to your questions, but I just wanted to say....wow what a cool truck. And welcome to the forum.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
_Ogre

Nice truck, but I would think the jag IRS would be your limiting factor.
It's a little light weight to be towing with.
Even with a class 3 hitch and a brake controler, your limited to what the jag could tow
Which wouldn't be much
Posted via Mobile Device

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
meter swinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
Nice truck, but I would think the jag IRS would be your limiting factor.
It's a little light weight to be towing with.
Even with a class 3 hitch and a brake controler, your limited to what the jag could tow
Which wouldn't be much
Posted via Mobile Device
What i was thinking. Maybe with heavy duty air bags you would be better off?

X2 on the brake conroller. You may think its only for towing in hilly country but as soon as someone cuts in front of you and hits thier brakes the controller will make a lot of sense in a hurry.
Another thing is a load leveler hitch. they can be expensive but they sure do make a trailer settle down on the road.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
mr48chev

What ever you do get a weight distribution hitch. Something like this http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CIkBEPMCMAQ

You should have them available in some brand or another where you are.

I towed a fairly heavy early 70's 15ft camp trailer with my 48 with one for several years. It makes all the difference in the world on both handling and not having your truck's suspension bottom out.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #11
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

rems, can you post more pics & details of the Jag install?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
rems

tks for your answers !! The hitch for the chevy venture seems to fit prefectly...I'm gonna go for it. Sorry but for the wiring I don't really understood what you tried to explain ! I'm lost when it comes to electricity.

What i don't understand, is how do i start the wiring, where and what do i plug for the stop, blinkers ...?!?

For the jag installation i will post more pics of course. I have several pics of the air ride install too.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
OrrieG

Here is some basic information. The current standard is seven prong plug that gets tail, brake, turn signals and back up from the truck circuits at the bed. there are additional prongs for electric brake, 12v power (or accesories or auxillary lighting) and ground. There is an industry standard for the location. There are adapters for old 4 prong to new 7 prong so you can use it with say a small utility trailer.

Cavet: I just remembered you are in France so Europe may have a different standard. This applies to US and Canada.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
AUSSIE54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
rems, can you post more pics & details of the Jag install?
G'day rems, I second this. Also interested in what your doing for the bags for the ifs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Trently.

My build thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=482263
AUSSIE54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
waybad

want to do the same thing with my 55,, didn't want anything larger than a 20ft trailer,, wife says that's our retirement life!! if I can afford gas by then??
waybad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
_Ogre

just for reference, i met a guy with a vette rearend under his 52 truck on the power tour
he has had the truck for years and just recently had the irs installed
he wasn't happy with it at all because it was too light weight.
he had to distribute his luggage evenly in the bed or it lean
he had a mobility scooter (125 lbs, max) that he had to put in the front of the bed
or the truck would ride too low in back

putting a light weight rearend in a truck will limit you capacity for towing or even hauling luggage
just the bed metal and wood will max out the capacity of a vette, jag or any car springs

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #17
mark '87 930

Not to revive to old a thread... but i went out and purchased the uhaul 75133 and i have a '56 3100 (so short bed). It doesn't quite fit as well as it seemed to of on the long bed of G&R's57GMC. The width of my frame rails is not as wide, so I had to not only drill new holes on the hitch, but in the frame also. In addition to this, the longer portion of the bracket on the passenger side needs to be cut off as it interferes with the reaf leaf spring bracket. Thirdly, you have to use the spacers they give you otherwise the hitch hits the bumper. The spacers are 1/4" thick and are exactly the clearance you need to be able to get a towbar in there. The back of it hits the spare tire.

So for those of you who want to install it with a stock 3100 with undermount spare and license plate light, it is possible BUT needs a good amount of rework.

I'll take pictures when i get a chance and i still have to drill two more bolt holes as it's only on there with 4 bolts at the moment.
mark '87 930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #18
NEWFISHER

A buddy of mine and I built my hitch. Measured 3x cut once. Drilled the frame in 2 verticle and 2 horizontal on both sides and installed grade 8 bolts. Used a 7 way s described earlier and included a hot wire for charging trailer batteries and a brake control wire. I use a weight distribution hitch and have new factory 8 pack leaves that barely sag when the trailer is loaded.Works great and also doubles as a bike carrier holder in the summertime.

Posted via Mobile Device
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote