The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
71wreck

New to forum and have some ?

Hi. I just took ownership of my father in laws 71 c10/custom longbed. It is a 350 3spd - hugger orange/white. He owned it since new. It hasn't run in seven years, but I got it started and was able to drive it home. I'll post some pictures later, but it is rough. Mostly surface rust with some floor board holes. I can weld, so that is fixable.

A couple of quick questions I have:

1. How can I clean the area under the cowl vents? This truck has been a home to mice and snakes for years. I have a snake skin under the cowl vents. Also found another in the cab - and they look fresh.

2. I am loosing brake fluid out of the rear small bowl of the master cylinder. Is that front or back brakes? I am not anxious to trace the lines until I get some moth balls into this truck (snake repellent)
71wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
CC69Rat

Re: New to forum and have some ?

What's up buddy! Welcome to the forum!

We need pics!

You'll find a lot of really good input on here but it helps to kinda see what you're referring to (when you can ..) I'd be hesitant to work on it too. I hate snakes.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Welcome to the best truck board on the net!

Odd that your rear MC reservoir is the small one. On my '72 (should be the same, both have front discs), the smaller front reservoir is for the rear drums, and the larger rear one is for the front discs.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

and aboard from just north of ya in Cornelius!!!

To answer your questions.....I'm not sure of an easy way to clean under the cowl other than remove the cowl panel and "snake" a vacuum hose down each side....you may also try removing the air vents from the interior of the truck and reach in tfrom there....but maybe moth ball it first!!!

I can't remeber about the master....but once moth balled trace those lines...i think the front bowl goes to rear brakes....if it leaks, change it out....

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
71wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
and aboard from just north of ya in Cornelius!!!

To answer your questions.....I'm not sure of an easy way to clean under the cowl other than remove the cowl panel and "snake" a vacuum hose down each side....you may also try removing the air vents from the interior of the truck and reach in tfrom there....but maybe moth ball it first!!!

I can't remeber about the master....but once moth balled trace those lines...i think the front bowl goes to rear brakes....if it leaks, change it out....
I noticed you had a 66 mustang in your sig. I have a 65 convertible that I just got done dropping a 306 crate motor in as well as a bunch of other stuff.
71wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
70cst

Hey 71wreck ...

from Ohio and to your new internet truck family. I think it is really that you have a truck that will remain in the family.

You will get feed back soon that will better answer your questions ...

Oh yes... we love pictures

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Welcome to the forum from Central Florida. Congrats, sounds like it was a sweet truck back in the day. Take lots of pics before you start on it, they will come in handy later.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71wreck View Post
I noticed you had a 66 mustang in your sig. I have a 65 convertible that I just got done dropping a 306 crate motor in as well as a bunch of other stuff.
Saweet!!! i guess that means you'll have to post pictures of that Mustang too!!!

BTW....Make sure you keep up with what we are doing here in the Carolina's over in the regional forum....http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=117

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

As already mentioned, pull the cowl piece. You'll need to remove the wiper arms...there's a tool that can make it easier, but these don't come off like the later models do. There will be trash in that plenum, fo sho. Down at the kick panels, you can also remove the fresh air doors to get to whatever else may be left. But, watch for varmints and creatures that like to bite and/or sting...and their nests.

You may want to consider putting some screen on the inside of the cowl piece before you put it back. That will keep leaves and pine needles from getting into the plenums.

But, dirt and water is your biggest enemy when time is factored into the equation. It will make for some rust in the kick panels. There is no drain from the factory and any water that accumulates in there will run onto the floor of your cab.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

There is a drain at the bottom of the kick panels.It's just been clogged since the truck was new.The easiest way to see them is to lay on your back and look under the rear of the front fender.Once you have the cowl area cleaned out yu can run water thru.The big problem is the vent louvers are big enough for leaves to come thru while the drains aren't.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote