The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
Desert1957

Insurance for our Trucks / Questions?

Hey All,

After finishing my 83 it occurred to me why not get an "Historic" tag and registration. So I called (Grundy and Hagarty)

I currently have a 34 Ford Coupe insured with GRUNDY. So I called , got a reasonable quote, But here is some info I didn't like.

* NO driving to work
* NO hauling ANYTHING in the Bed
* ABSOLUTELY NO towing , I meany ANYTHING!
*Boat
*Small trailer
*Open Car Trailer
*Enclosed Car Trailer

And here was the one that Hit me was NO Truck Camper!

So after all that said , What are you guys using for insurance? and if you are doing anything listed above , Did you know about this stuff?

I can't wait to here a solution to my problem, Please give me some options , other than getting pounded with a standard insurance policy.

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: Insurance for our Trucks / Questions?

I have a regular plate and regular coverage through State Farm on my pickup - so - I can pretty much use it for whatever I want.

I do have Hagerty on all my collector cars (Pontiacs) but obviously don't have to worry about campers or pulling trailers with those.

Sidebar - I had Grundy for many many years but last year they sold out/merged with Philadelphia Ins. My collectors insurance lapsed this year - never got a bill or notification from Grundy. I figured if they didn't care enough to contact me or send a bill that perhaps they didn't want my business any more so -after I realized the lapse - I signed up with Hagerty. We'll see how that goes.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
broey
Square

that sounds about right for collector car insurance. they usually want it garage kept also. I used the classic car insurance through my regular insurance company. (american family) its pretty laid back compared to hagerty or grundy.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
3r!c84
Badass

also with all the classic car insurance companys. you have to be 25+ to drive the truck. so that pretty much cut me out of the deal

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:33 AM   #5
Number21

My dad has a '67 mustang insured with Hagerty, for the last 15 years or so. I don't know what the rules are other than being garaged, but they don't seem very restrictive. Then again he isn't towing or using a camper. I wanted to insure my '73 with them but it can't be a daily driver. I got a regular "stated value" policy with progressive, as far as I know if anything happens I get the $5k I said my truck is worth, without arguing. It cost a lot more though....

You can set my truck on fire and roll it down a hill,
and I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe de Ville.
Number21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
tucsonjwt

Insurance is always a crap shoot. Collector car insurance will never let you drive it as a daily driver. I don't know your circumstances, but if you buy just basic liability insurance the cost should be low. I currently drive just the old 83 as a primary vehicle with no restrictions but not many miles per year (I rent a vehicle for the once or twice a month or so when I drive out of town and need a reliable vehicle - $20-$30 per day - cheaper than owning a new vehicle.) I am old so my insurance is cheap, but I still can't justify anything but good liability insurance. Insuring the many new vehicles I have owned still cost about $600 per year - that pays for about 2+ rental days per month or more, so new/newer cars don't make sense to me, and since I rent frequently I can get a free upgrade to any vehicle on the rental lot -pickup, van, SUV, luxury car, etc. I always rent the economy cars which get 41 mpg on the highway.

If you have a very expensive old vehicle (or new vehicle) you will need comprehensive/collision insurance. But if your truck is realistically worth $5,000-$8,000 or so, then I would take the risk of having just liability insurance. In the event of a wreck you have a 50/50 chance that the wreck was not your fault and you can collect something from the other driver's insurance company. The cost of collision/comprehensive insurance you have spent until the time of the wreck should be deducted from whatever you get from the insurance company for a true comparison. Also, if you keep possession of your wreck you likely will be able to salvage a lot of good parts to start your replacement project. Traditional insurance companies don't like to write "stated value" policies because they have trouble determining the value of your vehicle - they prefer the standard valuation of charts which includes the trade in value and retail (replacement) value of the vehicle in the open market. Aftermarket upgrades and quality of parts, custom paint job, chrome do-dads, etc. don't register in their pricing models and you will have to justify any of that extra cost - usually you lose on this effort because they are not specifically in your policy (in fact, they are often specifically excluded from your policy.)

Just adding a financial perspective to the discussion.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
Desert1957

Unhappy Re: Insurance for our Trucks / Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Insurance is always a crap shoot. Collector car insurance will never let you drive it as a daily driver. I don't know your circumstances, but if you buy just basic liability insurance the cost should be low. I currently drive just the old 83 as a primary vehicle with no restrictions but not many miles per year (I rent a vehicle for the once or twice a month or so when I drive out of town and need a reliable vehicle - $20-$30 per day - cheaper than owning a new vehicle.) I am old so my insurance is cheap, but I still can't justify anything but good liability insurance. Insuring the many new vehicles I have owned still cost about $600 per year - that pays for about 2+ rental days per month or more, so new/newer cars don't make sense to me, and since I rent frequently I can get a free upgrade to any vehicle on the rental lot -pickup, van, SUV, luxury car, etc. I always rent the economy cars which get 41 mpg on the highway.

If you have a very expensive old vehicle (or new vehicle) you will need comprehensive/collision insurance. But if your truck is realistically worth $5,000-$8,000 or so, then I would take the risk of having just liability insurance. In the event of a wreck you have a 50/50 chance that the wreck was not your fault and you can collect something from the other driver's insurance company. The cost of collision/comprehensive insurance you have spent until the time of the wreck should be deducted from whatever you get from the insurance company for a true comparison. Also, if you keep possession of your wreck you likely will be able to salvage a lot of good parts to start your replacement project. Traditional insurance companies don't like to write "stated value" policies because they have trouble determining the value of your vehicle - they prefer the standard valuation of charts which includes the trade in value and retail (replacement) value of the vehicle in the open market. Aftermarket upgrades and quality of parts, custom paint job, chrome do-dads, etc. don't register in their pricing models and you will have to justify any of that extra cost - usually you lose on this effort because they are not specifically in your policy (in fact, they are often specifically excluded from your policy.)

Just adding a financial perspective to the discussion.
The problem with just having "Liability" for me is the Camper on the truck is NOT covered. With the Camper costing more than the truck is worth I just am not comfortable going that route.

Best rate I can get for full coverage is as much as my 04 Silverado Z71 which is ridiculous for a weekend warrior. and its 3 times the liability rate.

I may have to bite the bullet and do it. I personally think "Auto Insurance" rates for someone my age (55) are terrible.

I have shopped the insurance, I do have the cheapest rate available. All my coverage is bundled with all the current discounts.

*group multiple car discount
(2 trucks,2 cars, 1 RV)
*Homeowners included
*Highest deductible
*NO points or accidents EVER
*CDL licence

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
andrewmp6

Also the Historic tags in a lot of states you can only drive it on a sunday unless its going to a shop for repairs or to a parade/car show.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
tucsonjwt

The camper adds another element - I would look into insuring that separately through Good Sam club (or similar camper's outfit). Since I assume you don't drive the camper daily the insurance on it separately should be very cheap.
At 55 I was getting cheap liability insurance. Your CDL might actually be a reason to increase your rate, since you are more at risk driving commercial vehicles.
I used many insurance companies until I settled with GEICO. I hear USAA might be cheaper. I have no loyalty to any particular company, since they all charged me way too much in the past.
With Geico I get discounts of $39.20 for 5 year good driving record and $11.50 for taking a Defensive Driver Course online - total = $50.70 discount per 6 month premium amount. Total liability is about $150 for 6 months with enough liability coverage (bodily injury, property damage, uninsured motorists, underinsured motorists) to reach the minimum to qualify for a much larger umbrella personal liability insurance. My home state of Arizona is a relatively high insurance premium state because of the high percentage of uninsured motorists (poor, illegal aliens, etc.), so I would be surprised if you could not get low rates unless PA has some unusual insurance laws which make high insurance payouts the norm.
So, I still say get just liability on the truck and insure the camper separately and forget loyalty to any particular insurance company - insurance is just a product like a gallon of milk - shop wisely like every thing else you buy - don't buy into the advertising hype.
But as I always say: "Each to his or her own."
Old 07-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
Dunenutt
Newbee

Quote tucsonjwt,

"In the event of a wreck you have a 50/50 chance that the wreck was not your fault and you can collect something from the other driver's insurance company."

Things must be different in Tucson. I know of 5 people that have been hit this year. All 5 were hit by un-insured, un-licensed "people". 2 of those "people" had un-registered cars. All 5 got nothing but a trashed vehicle.

I won't drive a car I hate without full coverage.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #11
tucsonjwt

So, the odds are not 50/50.
From the Arizona state insurance commission:

Uninsured motorist coverage pays for medical
expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering
caused by an uninsured driver, a hit-and-run driver
or a miss-and-run driver.

Collision damage to your vehicle is not covered under uninsured or underinsured insurance.

Up to 1/3 of Arizona drivers don't have insurance, according to some websites I have read. So, the chances are 2 out of 3 that you will get in an accident with someone who has insurance. Unfortunately, the odds for the people you know were 1 out of 1. This makes some sense, since the people with no insurance, license, citizenship, etc., have nothing to lose and are most likely to drive dangerously, or not even know how to drive.

Still, how long will you drive before being hit by an uninsured driver? Multiply that time in 6 month intervals by the cost of your collision insurance and you have the amount of money to deduct from any amount your insurance company gives you for your old truck when you are in an accident. Unless you have a very expensive stated value policy (and can still document the condition of your vehicle at the time of the accident), it likely won't payoff for you. Most likely you will get normal retail value of your vehicle, which is not very much for a 30+ year old vehicle.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
3r!c84
Badass

with florida being a no fault state. your pretty much screwed any way lol

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote