The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
NW Task Force

Exclamation 82-92 Camaro/Trans Am disc brake rear ends............who's running them?

Basically I am looking to install a 1982 Trans Am posi disc rear end and would like to see pictures on converting over to leaf spring setup and how the stock steel brakes lines & soft lines are set up on these rears. All of my original brake lines are missing..........need a good picture of how they are setup. Thanks! Specifically looking for those running this setup on 55-59 pickups.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
Amorget

Re: 82-92 Camaro/Trans Am disc brake rear ends............who's running them?

Is there some reason you are picking that rear end? The early (pre-89) disc brakes are horrible and you'd be better off with drums. This is coming from someone who owns 12 of them currently... It's also a weak 7.5" 10 bolt.
Amorget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
NW Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorget View Post
Is there some reason you are picking that rear end? The early (pre-89) disc brakes are horrible and you'd be better off with drums. This is coming from someone who owns 12 of them currently... It's also a weak 7.5" 10 bolt.
Its what I have available to me, I plan to not be making any higher horsepower than what that rear saw with a V8 stock. I have talked to a few folks who are running similiar setups and are happy. This is a cruiser........not a tire-roasting drag truck.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

Quote:
agree with this statment. if you putting any power to them it will be shorty lived. also the wheel bearings are very small and weak.

however, i did convert the brakes to a stock 64-67 nova 8.2 rear end and was happy how the discs worked. '
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #5
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

well for a cruiser you should be fine. i wouldnt tow a big trailer with it.
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
NW Task Force

Truck will be running empty in the bed most of the time and V8 used is making around 200hp
Old 06-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #7
OKGMC4

While I'd tell you the 90-92 rears are a tad better, using what you have is OK if you don't overload it. Been driving on mine in my third gen for 20 years. This guy has the setup you're looking for, his is the super rare 9 bolt third gen rear but the setup is identical...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=501998&page=8

Hope that helps.

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
NW Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKGMC4 View Post
While I'd tell you the 90-92 rears are a tad better, using what you have is OK if you don't overload it. Been driving on mine in my third gen for 20 years. This guy has the setup you're looking for, his is the super rare 9 bolt third gen rear but the setup is identical...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=501998&page=8

Hope that helps.
Thank you for the link! I actually tried PMing this person for more info and pics just the other day. This is the setup I'm going for.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
NW Task Force

Question Metric or SAE lug nuts?

Hey folks! I tried mounting some wheels on my 83' Trans Am rear yesterday only to find out that my SAE lug nuts are not threading on. I tried some other standard lug nuts with no luck. I looked closely at the wheel stud ends...........there are "M"'s stamped on the ends. Is this an obvious marker that means metric lug nuts? The bolt heads on the diff cover also have stamped "M"'s. I am feeling confused about whether these rear ends were metric or SAE, even though they were factory American Pontiac parts. Does anyone know the scoop on these axles?
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
Amorget

They are 12x1.5 Metric.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
NW Task Force

Quote:
They are 12x1.5 Metric.
Awesome! Thank you. I just did a quick internet search and learned that these studs are metric. Confirmed my question.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
Amorget

If you need any more info on these rear ends check out Thirdgen.org
Old 11-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
_Ogre

nw: i have an 86 trans am rear end with disc brakes under mine
my diff cover looks diferent it's a 3.27 ratio that was used in 90 ta's that yr
spring pads and bottom plate came from a trailer supply house
u-bolts from a local suspension shop
stock 58 shock mounts
same brakes as the other ones.
look in my thread for more info

i used the 86 sway bar by heating and bending the ends to fit the frame

i also incorporated the torque bar to minimize diff roll

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #14
Amorget

Hey _Orge,
You don't have a 10 bolt, you have the Aussie 9 bolt. The gears aren't out of a 90 TA, 89 at latest as 89 was the last year GM used the 9 bolt.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
Maximus

Quote:
Hey _Orge,
You don't have a 10 bolt, you have the Aussie 9 bolt. The gears aren't out of a 90 TA, 89 at latest as 89 was the last year GM used the 9 bolt.
I think what Ogre was saying is that his rear end is out of a 1986 trans-am, and only 90 trans-am's in 1986 came with his particular rear diff.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #16
Amorget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I think what Ogre was saying is that his rear end is out of a 1986 trans-am, and only 90 trans-am's in 1986 came with his particular rear diff.
I don't know where he would come up with that number being that the number of 9 bolts installed in 86 is basically an unknown number, much less how many had the 3.27 ratio. But reading back, I believe you are correct in what was meant.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #17
_Ogre

really don't know much about the rear end, but one of the camaro guys over at hotrodders.com was interested when i said it had the 3.27 gear
all he said was that it was experimental rear end for that year made by borg warner
my numbers were off, according to http://www.thirdgen.org/1986-pontiac-firebird there were only 50 produced as test cars
they may not have made it into production, the junk yards are full of non-production cars around here
and yes it has the factory 3.27 tag on it still

Old 11-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
Amorget

Not experimental at all, they started putting the 9 bolts in the F-bodies in 1985. You don't have one off of a test car, I would bet you my truck on that. It may have been swapped onto a 86 Trans Am from a 87 or later 350 with the L98 and G92 package.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #19
NW Task Force

Question rear disc caliper setup

Hey guys......... can anyone show me a pic or explain how the rear disc caliper pads attach to the piston cylinder? I noticed a retaining clip on the piston cylinder and wanted to make sure it is attached correctly. Would really like to see how the rear axle brake lines are ran also. These rear calipers take banjo fittings and I need to see an example. Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #20
NW Task Force

Question any ideas?

Anyone know how this pads attach on the piston side?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #21
NW Task Force

Re: any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Task Force View Post
Anyone know how this pads attach on the piston side?
Bump....... still looking for info on how the brake pads attach and e-brake setup.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #22
mobileortho

I used a mid 70's Camaro 10 bolt (I believe it was from a '74) but upgraded it with '91 disc brakes.

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #23
_Ogre

the oem pad had a clip on to attach to the pad to the caliper
don't worry about it as the residual pressure valve you should be running will keep the pad in close proximity to the disc

the e-brake has a spring and a cable to actuate the e-brake
the calipers on these is the same one mounted in front and one mounted on back of the backing plates
this is where they go, i don't have an e-brake

the caliper has an internal ratchet that keeps the e-brake adjusted close to the back of the piston.
when you need to re-pad the caliper the ratchet needs to be disengaged so that you can get the piston back

as for a banjo fitting; any parts store can get one, but the rod supply stores will have the ones you can hook an AN fitting to a hose.
i ran a flex line from the frame to each caliper, but you can also run a single flex line to the diff and hard line to the calipers

Old 12-04-2012, 01:07 AM   #24
NW Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
the oem pad had a clip on to attach to the pad to the caliper
don't worry about it as the residual pressure valve you should be running will keep the pad in close proximity to the disc

the e-brake has a spring and a cable to actuate the e-brake
the calipers on these is the same one mounted in front and one mounted on back of the backing plates
this is where they go, i don't have an e-brake

the caliper has an internal ratchet that keeps the e-brake adjusted close to the back of the piston.
when you need to re-pad the caliper the ratchet needs to be disengaged so that you can get the piston back

as for a banjo fitting; any parts store can get one, but the rod supply stores will have the ones you can hook an AN fitting to a hose.
i ran a flex line from the frame to each caliper, but you can also run a single flex line to the diff and hard line to the calipers
Thanks so much for the great reply! I feel better knowing that those little retainer clips are not too important on function (at least that's how I interpreted it). My rear disc calipers do not have the "weights" on the e-brake levers, like shown in your picture. Did some have it and some not? Are all those calipers equipped with the ratcheting adjusters for the pads? How do I disengage the ratchet? I was warned by a co-worker that a non-working e-brake on these calipers will cause the rear brakes to eventually not even work..........most of the braking force will be just the front calipers. Having a working e-brake will allow the ratchet to adjust the pads closer and provide the proper braking contact. How much truth to this?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:41 AM   #25
Amorget

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Task Force View Post
Thanks so much for the great reply! I feel better knowing that those little retainer clips are not too important on function (at least that's how I interpreted it). My rear disc calipers do not have the "weights" on the e-brake levers, like shown in your picture. Did some have it and some not? Are all those calipers equipped with the ratcheting adjusters for the pads? How do I disengage the ratchet? I was warned by a co-worker that a non-working e-brake on these calipers will cause the rear brakes to eventually not even work..........most of the braking force will be just the front calipers. Having a working e-brake will allow the ratchet to adjust the pads closer and provide the proper braking contact. How much truth to this?
That is the truth, the e-brake is the adjuster for the brakes and they will eventually stop working without a working e-brake. It led to a lot of problems with the Automatic Thirdgens as people don't set their e-brake normally. The manual cars didn't have as many problems for that reason. As far as the weights, as far as I am aware, they should of all had them.