The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Question Shock relocators needed?

So, my CPP shipment came in today (12 boxes - almost 600 pounds) and going thru what I got versus what I ordered, I realized that I didn't order the front/rear shock re-locator kits. (I also didn't receive my 2 degree axle shims or my front calipers, but I have a note saying that the calipers are on back-order ATM. I'll have to call about the shims.)

I'm doing a 3.5/5 static drop on the truck: 1" lowering spring + 2.5" drop spindle in the front / 4" HD lowering spring in the rear (I know I said rear was going to be a 5" drop, but this is on a longbed and is what was recommended by both CPP tech support and ECE tech support.)

My gut says yes, the re-locators will be required if I want the shocks to work their best. Am I right?
JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
Del72Chevy

Re: Shock relocators needed?

Here is my opinion from research I did in the past. If your only going 1" spring in front and spindles you will be ok with stock shock set up in the front. Say that three times fast lol. For the rear you should do the shock relocation kit and maybe even look into an adjustable trac bar. If I am completely off on this info someone stop me because I don't want to lead someone in the wrong direction.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
3rdGen.c10

i would say so yes. the shocks will have lapses in dampening past about 15 degrees from straight up and down. 15 to 25 or so is ok. so for a 4inch drop id say yes get the relocators. i agree with del72chevy. the front should be fine and an adjustable trac bar would be a good investment.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Hey guys, thanks for the responses!

Yeah, I got the adjustable track bar already in the pile of stuff sitting here in my living room.

I was pretty sure about the rear shock mounts, simply because I'm going more than a 3" drop.

What I wasn't sure about were the front re-locators. I think I'm just going to play it safe and go ahead and order them, if anything because my stock front shock mounts are pretty worn looking already.

Here's a picture of my haul from the nice UPS deliveryman, who delivered it all in 110 degree heat in the middle of a dust storm today. If I could have been home to give him a beer I would have.
Attached Images

JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
Del72Chevy

Nice delivery. I know the ups man hates me with the huge porterbuilt order I received I think it was about 92 degrees with about 90% humidity when I got all the big heavy stuff. But I was nice enough to let him back down my driveway and helped him put everything in my garage. He was happy I helped even though he put huge scratches down the side of his truck from my trees...oh well