The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
mopar346

Camper Special question.

I was looking at the dually picture thread and I noticed quit a few camper specials. I know on Fords a camper special had the rear end further back than a normal truck. Is that the case with the Chevrolet as well? What is the distance from the fron of the cab to the center of the rear axle?

I also saw something about somebodies rear end being cab and chassis width. Is there a difference from a regular dually and a C&C axle width?

I am still trying to decide which way to go with the unit I just bought, 155" WB 3500 C&C dually.

Thanks in advance, Kevin
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: Camper Special question.

No - camper special wheelbase is the same as a regular pickup.

Yes - Dually pickup rear axles extend out further (necessitating the dually fenders). Cab and chassis dual rear wheel axles are narrower (and would fit within the width of a regular pickup box - if they had one).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
mopar346

Thanks. So a C&C rear end will NOT fit a regular dually bed?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

there was a guy at a recent truck show that had one with a cam and chassis rear with a regular bed on it but he had to make or tub the wheel houses which then makes it near impossible to carry shets of plywood or sheetrock. His truck was used for twoing a fifth wheel and it was adequate for that. I hadnt taken any pictures as i didnt have my camera but i wasnt all that impressed anyway

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

What year cab and chassis? My book is showing they came in:

Regular Cab:
131" wb, normal 8' bed length
135" wb
159" wb
Crew/Bonus Cab:
164" wb, normal 8' bed length

If you have a regular cab with a wheelbase longer than the 131", you'd have to custom make a box style bed for it. I'd call it a long long bed, but it'd look cool.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
mopar346

It's an 88, I did a quick measurement the other day I thought it was 155 although it could have been the 150.5 I've seen, I am almost positive it is not 159. I am having some tires mounted today and may go get it this afternoon and bring it home. I will double check the next time I am with it to verify. It is a regular cab. I was considering an extended box among other opitons but I guess the read end would make that a little more agreviating than I originally thought. I do know there is just short of 11 ft of frame behind the cab. I really wont to do a roll back, just sizing up my options.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
there was a guy at a recent truck show that had one with a cam and chassis rear with a regular bed on it but he had to make or tub the wheel houses which then makes it near impossible to carry shets of plywood or sheetrock. His truck was used for twoing a fifth wheel and it was adequate for that. I hadnt taken any pictures as i didnt have my camera but i wasnt all that impressed anyway
Cool concept but poor execution?

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Here's what I show for an 88 R30 (You do have a square body and not a new body style C30, correct?).
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
mopar346

Yep, square body I posted the VIN on another thread, hopefully I will get time to get it home today and put a tape measure to it.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Yeah I remembered you had put a VIN up and I went to grab it, but you X'd out the last digits so it's no good to me. My program requires the entire VIN and it spits out what it is, but even then sometimes I have to choose which exact model it is. Basically it would tell me for sure it was an 88 cab and chassis but it might ask me which one of the 2 choices it might be. Even with modern vehicles it does that, like for an 05 Silverado it might get me so far but then ask if it is a LS or LT etc.
You can PM me the entire thing if you want and I can see, totally up to you.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346 View Post
I was looking at the dually picture thread and I noticed quit a few camper specials. I know on Fords a camper special had the rear end further back than a normal truck. Is that the case with the Chevrolet as well? What is the distance from the fron of the cab to the center of the rear axle?

I also saw something about somebodies rear end being cab and chassis width. Is there a difference from a regular dually and a C&C axle width?

I am still trying to decide which way to go with the unit I just bought, 155" WB 3500 C&C dually.

Thanks in advance, Kevin
My 79 Bonanza 1 ton camper special (single axle) came with a back bumper that extends out 4 feet to support a 12 foot camper on an 8 foot bed. You pull the pins and slide the bumper out, the wire harness for the license plate light is extra long to accomodate. The entire structure follows the frame and runs down both sides of the spare tire underneath. It's a fairly elaborate setup that from what I understand may have been optional on camper specials. It is listed on my build sheet but I'm unclear of some of the terminoligy.

When I bought the truck nearly 20 years ago, it had a 14 foot camper mounted on the bed, and the bumper was extended out. Until that time I had not seen anything like it. I was told by the original owner at that time that he ordered it this way. Since then I've only seen one other Camper Special 1 Ton that had this rear bumper. I'm sure there has to be others out there. I doubt you would find a rear bumper like this on a regular (non camper special) pickup.

There were a few other differences on the camper special models as well.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
mopar346

Randy, PM sent. thanks for the help

Firebird, That sounds pretty trick I have never even heard of anything like that and I've been in the car business for 30 years.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I was afraid of this, it asks between two wheelbase lengths. Either way, neither is the wb for an 8' bed to fit on, that would need a 131" wb.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
mopar346

Thanks for the info though, I will get a tape on it and let ya know what I find. Defintiely not the 135 though. Does it show anything further if you select the 159 WB?
Old 06-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

After you select the wheelbase it just pops out the drivetrain information. It did decode it as a 5.7 carb, like we knew already.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #16
mopar346

Gotta it.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #17
mopar346

Well I guess it's a 159 WB, one man measuring don't work very well. Got the tires on it today and drove it around a bit, runs surprisingly strong. We gotta drop my son's CJ off at the nuffler shop in the morning and should go get while there doing there thing. I kinda want to drive the CJ up on the flat bed to see how it hauls it.

Gotta clean it up and figure out what I got. I'm pretty stoked.
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #18
mopar346

Drove it quit a bit today and brought it home. Here is a picture of the label in the glove box. See anything unusual?
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2012, 03:32 AM   #19
HotRodScottsdale

Do all squares come with camper specs in the door jamb badge? Or just the camper special ones?
Posted via Mobile Device