The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
bigdlb12

Radiator Help (1960)

My 1960 Apache has the original radiator, and at 52 years old I think it has done its job.

In the past few months, I notice that my temp gauge would climb, when I would go and check the radiator, it still was full, I bought a new cap and problem solved. from time to time it would still climb.

However now I have a leak, let me correct that, a few leaks, I have gone as far as trying a few raidator leak solutions, the flakes and the pellets. Neither of which work.

LMC has my radiator, since none of the top autoparts do, but it is 459-500 bucks, I know it is 20" x 21" 1/2 and only 2" thick, my question to you all is,
Are there any other radiators I can use for my truck?

I would like a aluminum one, I found a "universal" one for around $200, from what I hear is that many times, the fans dont even come on because they run so much cooler than the old school radiators. But my pops is saying that it matters where the inlet and outlet are located, is this true?

I dont care in keeping the truck original, since almost everything is custom.

Thank you in advance

also, if you know of any other low cost solutions I can do for now, please let me know, i have a trip coming up in 4 weeks and really dont want to spend the money as of now.
bigdlb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Crosby TX

Re: Radiator Help (1960)

Bought this one for my 61. Aluminum 2 row direct replacement by Champion. About $160 after shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=...coolingsystems

Had it in the truck since Nov. of last year. No problems in the Texas heat. Have one 16" electric fan that comes on sometimes while sitting in traffic. Temps stay at 180.
Crosby TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

The easiest solution may be having your original radiator recored. A local shop simply removes your upper and lower tanks, and installs a new radiator core in between. Price can vary widely though so you would need to check around for the best deal.

Location of the outlets is important especially if you are going with a universal replacement radiator. For example most cross flow radiators will place the lower connection on top of the passenger side frame rail, making it very difficult to come up with a hose that works. And with a conventional down flow radiator, you want the connections to be close to where they are now, or you may have to change the hoses, or the thermostat housing. If the radiator moves either connection to the opposite side you may have routing problems that just won't work.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdlb12 View Post
My 1960 Apache has the original radiator, and at 52 years old I think it has done its job.

In the past few months, I notice that my temp gauge would climb, when I would go and check the radiator, it still was full, I bought a new cap and problem solved. from time to time it would still climb.

However now I have a leak, let me correct that, a few leaks, I have gone as far as trying a few raidator leak solutions, the flakes and the pellets. Neither of which work.

LMC has my radiator, since none of the top autoparts do, but it is 459-500 bucks, I know it is 20" x 21" 1/2 and only 2" thick, my question to you all is,
Are there any other radiators I can use for my truck?

I would like a aluminum one, I found a "universal" one for around $200, from what I hear is that many times, the fans dont even come on because they run so much cooler than the old school radiators. But my pops is saying that it matters where the inlet and outlet are located, is this true?

I dont care in keeping the truck original, since almost everything is custom.

Thank you in advance

also, if you know of any other low cost solutions I can do for now, please let me know, i have a trip coming up in 4 weeks and really dont want to spend the money as of now.
what did you put on for a rad cap a 13 or 15# pressure. that is what more than likely caused the leaking. it would have been only a 7# cap originally. your system is just getting old. your heater core may be in the same shape
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
bigdlb12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosby TX View Post
Bought this one for my 61. Aluminum 2 row direct replacement by Champion. About $160 after shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=...coolingsystems

Had it in the truck since Nov. of last year. No problems in the Texas heat. Have one 16" electric fan that comes on sometimes while sitting in traffic. Temps stay at 180.
Thank you all for your input, Crosby TX answered what I wanted, this freaking TX heat is had on us, IDK about you guys, but summer just started and we have been above 100 everyday, today is going to be cooler, about 101, last few days 107 and 106

While I know I can get my old radiator re cored, I still like the look of an aluminum one, and 180 degree in traffic is great for me, I failed to mention that the engine is a chevy 350, kinda beefed up

crosby TX, any chance you can load up some pics?
Old 06-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Crosby TX

Yes I can but I can't till next week.
Crosby TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
doobiebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdlb12 View Post
Thank you all for your input, Crosby TX answered what I wanted, this freaking TX heat is had on us, IDK about you guys, but summer just started and we have been above 100 everyday, today is going to be cooler, about 101, last few days 107 and 106

While I know I can get my old radiator re cored, I still like the look of an aluminum one, and 180 degree in traffic is great for me, I failed to mention that the engine is a chevy 350, kinda beefed up

crosby TX, any chance you can load up some pics?
bigdlb12 I bought a 3 row champion all aluminum on ebay for about $140.00.....mine is a 3 row on my 60 also with a 283 v-8...They dont come with built in trans cooler so i fabbed a mid 2000s (ford Ranger) all medal auto trans cooler on mine for a 700r4 trans...my truck in the southwest heat stays a 180-200 degrees with no complaints..Heres sum pics..
Attached Images

66 GMC Long bed fleet side 305 V-6
77 C-20 Custom Deluxe (Blue Goose)
doobiebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
bigdlb12

looks great man, wow I am jealous, mine is nowhere as nice as that
Old 07-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
bama63

what i used http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-1963-Ch...item20ada80c2a

100% american made a little more $ but they are in my home town and i know from experience and even worked there 30 or so years ago these people are top notch and have been in business since 1950. all of their products are manufactured in house at the same location
Old 07-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
ole dollor

i also bought mine on ebay....around lubbock they were going for 4 to 5 hundred , paid around $150.00 for the champion on e-bay....works great...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Arrow Re: Radiator Help (1960)

I need one on my truck. Had it rebuilt but was not satisfied with it, but she is still holding up.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424534

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
bigdlb12

ok Just ordered mine this morning, Finally after waiting all this time, will let you guys know how it goes