The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
acl

a/c parts and pieces

I am going to redo the a/c on a 68, 327. it is factory but not sure what all i need. Compressor/brackets are in place, hose are there but have been cut. dryer is in place as well as all venting in cab and a switch for something on the underside of dash on pass. side. the wire harness is cobbled but i can figure that out. With all that being said and checked for working parts is there anything else I am missing or need to look for???? i have put in a v/a unit in the red truck and it is great, just kind of want to piece together a working stock unit if i can. Gary
acl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
dracula4999

Re: a/c parts and pieces

are the fittings on the dryer taped up or have they been open to the elements for years? if any part of the system has been left open (like the condensor or dryer) then it will probably need changed. if everything was sealed up it then it may still be good.
dracula4999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
acl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracula4999 View Post
are the fittings on the dryer taped up or have they been open to the elements for years? if any part of the system has been left open (like the condensor or dryer) then it will probably need changed. if everything was sealed up it then it may still be good.
the dryer/fittings have not been opened. the hose to the compressor have been cut to remove valve cover(not my doings) just did not know if there were other pieces to this puzzle. if i have everything i will replace hoses and see if i can have some cold air. Just not sure what all goes to a complete a/c system...Thanks for the reply. gary
Old 07-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
eagleuh1

How about some pics? I had a complete working system in mine. Maybe I can find some pics. Jim
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by acl View Post
I am going to redo the a/c on a 68, 327. it is factory but not sure what all i need. Compressor/brackets are in place, hose are there but have been cut. dryer is in place as well as all venting in cab and a switch for something on the underside of dash on pass. side. the wire harness is cobbled but i can figure that out. With all that being said and checked for working parts is there anything else I am missing or need to look for???? i have put in a v/a unit in the red truck and it is great, just kind of want to piece together a working stock unit if i can. Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by acl View Post
the dryer/fittings have not been opened. the hose to the compressor have been cut to remove valve cover(not my doings) just did not know if there were other pieces to this puzzle. if i have everything i will replace hoses and see if i can have some cold air. Just not sure what all goes to a complete a/c system...Thanks for the reply. gary
You MUST buy and install a new receiver/dryer. But don't fret. I found out at Rockauto for $9.64 last summer. (Part Number 33215). I don't know if they are still available but I'm guessing they are. I ended up buying two. The first one I ordered for a 1971 K10 pickup from ackits.com and they sent me the wrong one. Rockauto, by clicking down a similar vehicle pick list and selecting receiver/dryer got me the right one.

DO NOT buy this item until you are ready to charge the system. The receiver/dryer contains a dessicant that takes the moisture out of your AC system. By being open to the atmosphere for ANY length of time other than an hour or two of working on the system will ruin a receiver/dryer especially in a humid area.

So if I was in your shoes I'd get those new hoses, install them, get your freon supply, then order the receiver/dryer. Install the r/d when you are ready to evacuate and charge.

For reference I did a lengthy post a while back with details and part numbers and prices at that time.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478564

Now that I'm thinking about it more, I'd also re-hab all your o-rings since you are starting from an open system. Now is the best time to do that. O-ring/thread sealer ($9.49 P/N RT201B at Ackits.com)

Note I do NOT work for ackits or rockauto.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
acl

Thanks for all the insight. i hope to start checking it out this weekend. Just making sure i have all the parts in place to TRY to get it going. If I'm missing something please let me know. Gary