The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
JORGIE95961

accumulator and orfice tube

Good and happy sunday folks.. Im tryingto do some research on getting my ac up and running in my non ac cab... I keep hearing about replacing the accumulator on the core support aand adding it on the evaporator. my question is how do i add an orfice tube , what is it used for (what does it replace) and what accumulator do i get to replace ?
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
ole dollor

Re: accumulator and orfice tube

what year a/c system do you have to put in you non a/c truck...can you show some pic's of what you have , the older systems did not have the orfice tube, the had an expansion valve....the orfice tube went inside the line going to the a/c evaperator coil inside the black box....it was a filter and worked kinda like an expansion valve....trying to go from memory....the accumulator , a the the core support should be a reciever dryier that has a window to see the air bubbles when you need freon, later they put the dryier inside the accumulator and made it one unit...it will be a big aluminum can up by the firewall black box with a big line running to and from it.....could have a compressor cycle switch screwed into it...depending on year model ...

dang...aluminum is hard to spell.....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
JORGIE95961

I have the corect system for the 71 c10. but i know there is an upgrade kit to change the aforementioned to a newer style. id just rather pay junkyard price vs $400+
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
ole dollor

ok...i am not to up on whats available now for the up grades...sorry...like you stated i would stick with the same parts that came with the system and try to find the parts i needed....except the compressor, if yours is bad i would upgrade it with the newer sandon type that would fit your brackets....they work great and cost a forth as much.....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote