The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
gotchamel

Raising seat height?

Having my stock bench seat redone right now and it was suggested to raise it 1-2" with a spacer.Anyone have real experience with doing this.Thanks.It was mentioned that overall comfort and visibility is better,I am not tall,5'10.
gotchamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Jurassic-1

Re: Raising seat height?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchamel View Post
Having my stock bench seat redone right now and it was suggested to raise it 1-2" with a spacer.Anyone have real experience with doing this.Thanks.It was mentioned that overall comfort and visibility is better,I am not tall,5'10.
We raised one a while back by using rectangular tubing to space it . I purchased longer grade 8 bolts to go through the seat and spacer and cut smaller spacers made from
round pipe and put hem inside the tubing to keep it from crushing when tightening the bolts.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
MikeyMan

You should wait and see how your stock bench seat sits when you get it back from being redone. It may be in a comfortable position as is.

I was going to raise my bench to have clearance for box speakers underneath. My plan was to use 7/8" unistrut channel, and/or rectangular aluminum tubing (1-1/2") and longer bolts. Turns out even 7/8" was too high. I'm 6'0" tall, and my head seemed too close to the roof and my legs too close to the large steering wheel.

You should test the seat height as is first. Then you could add blocks of wood under the 4 mounting points to find a proper height. Try cutting rectangles of plywood, maybe 1/2" or 3/4" and stack them to test for a comfortable ride height. If you find a good height, use some rectangular tubing as Jurassic-1 suggested.
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
68panelman

Like he said^, My seats were redone and my legs are tight to sterring wheel when sliding in to sit. Wait till your seats are back.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
gotchamel

Certainly makes sense to wait and see,will do.
Thanks.
gotchamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
chevy72blu

I raised my bench about 2" for a sub box I built several years ago - ended up having to go to an aftermarket smaller steering wheel. I hated it, and I am 5'9-5'10".

Of course, I put so much time and money into the stereo that I kept the seat that way for years =P.

I welded 2, 1" square tubes together and drilled through that to match the bracket pattern. Grade 8 bolts, nuts, washers, and lock washers.
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote