The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
jmac1970

Wiper problems need help

Hello everyone,
I have a 1970 chevy c10 and driving home the other day out of no where my wipers stopped working. I finally got the chance to work on the truck and through reading some post on here i thought my wiper motor was bad so i changed it. Well they still don't feel like working. Im looking for ideas on why they would just stop working. Now thus far i have changed the motor and the wires also look fine. Any advice would be great. Thank you in advance.
jmac1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Wiper problems need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1970 View Post
Hello everyone,
I have a 1970 chevy c10 and driving home the other day out of no where my wipers stopped working. I finally got the chance to work on the truck and through reading some post on here i thought my wiper motor was bad so i changed it. Well they still don't feel like working. Im looking for ideas on why they would just stop working. Now thus far i have changed the motor and the wires also look fine. Any advice would be great. Thank you in advance.
May be the switch... If you have a volt meter you can check the voltage to the connector at the motor to see if you're getting voltage to it.

Another possibility is a bind in the wiper arms. I took mine off and gave them good cleaning and lubrication a few months ago.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
jmac1970

Update i changed the switch and checked binding arms and they are good, any other idea's?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
kray59

Cool Re: Wiper problems need help

first i must say i am not very electrical . when i traded for my truck the wipers would not work at all . changed the motor and pump and everything worked but seemed to be way to slow . in chasing down charging and wiring problems i ended up changing altenator and ignition switch. chasing problems further i changed external voltage regulator which solved all my problems includling wipers which now work like new, which they kind of are. hope this long reply helps someone , please pardon ramble ,thanks , kenny.
kray59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
68gmsee

Does the motor not turn or try to turn at all? Check the voltage going to the connector and make sure the wiring is correct. I've got pics of wiring if you need them also.

This thread may help you figure out what the problem is.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413551
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kray59 View Post
............ i changed external voltage regulator which solved all my problems includling wipers which now work like new, which they kind of are. hope this long reply helps someone , please pardon ramble ,thanks , kenny.
I'm fighting a slow wiper motor on mine also. It's not real slow but it seems to me that it's not fast enough to keep up with a heavy down pour when it's on the faster cycle. I wasn't aware of the regulator having anything to do with the speed of the motor and my voltage regulator is fairly new but I may need to try another one.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
Old 07-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
jmdemon55

thanks for posting that link, my wipers work but dont return to park, wasnt even sure if they were supposed to?? This is our first old truck, lol! will be looking into that ground strap. good luck O.P.!
jmdemon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
vectorit
What?

Disconnect the actuator arms from the wiper motor, then turn the wiper motor on. Does it work?

If it does, then one of the pivots that the wiper arms press onto may be getting ready to or have already seized up.

Had this happen recently on my '70
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
jmac1970

Im not getting any power to the motor, could this be the voltage regulator? All my fuses are good.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
ole dollor

i would start with double checking all the fuses again, test with test light on both sides of the fuse...check and see if your fuse box is rusty if so clean the fuse holders real good...then go to wiper switch, and check for bad connections. check voltage there also...if ok then back to motor, unhook wiper arms and see if motor will turn....tap with hammer and see if it will come on with key and wiper switch on....hay i seen it work...hammer is your friend..works on starters to....hit a starter that wont work and it will start ...one more time....flame suit on....go for it....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
jmac1970

Update, found the problem it was a rusty fuse box, cleaned all the contacts and wipers work like a charm. Thanks for all the help