The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
kjt52

Firewall mount power brakes on a 52 chev!

Anyone used firewall mount power brake setup.I am wondering if I should go this way or not.
kjt52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
Atommik

Re: Firewall mount power brakes on a 52 chev!

I will be using a firewall mounted power brake set up on my 51. I welded bracing across the inner firewall reinforcements. The brake pedal mounting bolts thru the firewall at the master cylinder and to the bottom of the dash where the steering column bolts in. I reinforced the dash mounting to handle the extra load and pressure the assembly will put on everything. See my build thread for pictures (starting at around #116). I don't have the master cylinder/brake booster yet but I'm confident it will work well.
Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
LEEVON

There are some pics of one in my build thread also (see link in sig). I grafted it into the firewall then reinforced the inside with about 18" of 1.5x1.5 angle. Nice and solid.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
mknittle

I am planning to use a firewall mounted hydro-boost on my 52' GMC

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
kjt52

Thanks for your replies guys!I am just collecting as many parts as I can before I tear the truck apart.I still have to finish the inside of my garage also.
kjt52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
mr48chev

As Atomik said in his post it is necessary to reinforce the firewall so that it doesn't flex and crack. At that is why he said he put the reinforcement bars in it.

They work good and I had one in the 48 at one time but they are as ugly as home made mucky and the get in the way.
The main thing I didn't like about it was that I had this big old glob of metal hanging right over my brand new shiny left valve cover and getting in the way every time I wanted to check the oil or do anything on that side of the engine. If you are prone to opening you hood at shows the first thing everyone sees is that booster and master cylinder. If you are ok with that, head on.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #7
n_elsod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
As Atomik said in his post it is necessary to reinforce the firewall so that it doesn't flex and crack. At that is why he said he put the reinforcement bars in it.

They work good and I had one in the 48 at one time but they are as ugly as home made mucky and the get in the way.
The main thing I didn't like about it was that I had this big old glob of metal hanging right over my brand new shiny left valve cover and getting in the way every time I wanted to check the oil or do anything on that side of the engine. If you are prone to opening you hood at shows the first thing everyone sees is that booster and master cylinder. If you are ok with that, head on.
Have you seen the firewall crack? I'm just asking cause I didn't reinforce mine but I used the pedal bracket from Classic parts. Mine doesn't flex the firewall but I want to make sure it doesn't crack either. When I put mine in place, it was around the reinforcing stamp on the firewall as well as it bolts to the dash. I would expect since the firewall is sandwiched between the booster and bracket, it wouldn't crack.
n_elsod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_elsod View Post
Have you seen the firewall crack? I'm just asking cause I didn't reinforce mine but I used the pedal bracket from Classic parts. Mine doesn't flex the firewall but I want to make sure it doesn't crack either. When I put mine in place, it was around the reinforcing stamp on the firewall as well as it bolts to the dash. I would expect since the firewall is sandwiched between the booster and bracket, it wouldn't crack.
I have seen cracks develop from one hole to another. Think about it like this,Take a piece of wire and bend it back and forth untill it breaks. It's the same thing only slower.
If it dont flex I wouldend worry about it. but I would have sombody push and watch from the outside Just to be sure.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602

Last edited by mknittle; 07-08-2012 at 10:25 AM.
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
mygirlz55

I'm interested to see if anyone has pics of this done on their truck? I have a camaro brake booster that I'd like to use for our '55, just need info on where to mount it.
mygirlz55 is offline   Reply With Quote