The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Shane M

70 GMC Should I buy?

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1970 GMC Short Bed 4x4 with 55,000 original miles. I know the owner so I know the miles are valid and the odometer has not rolled over.

The truck is all original except the seat has been recovered and it has been repainted to factory color. It is a 6 cylinder w/ a 3 speed on the column.

This truck is absolutely mint and I can pick it up for $6,500.00.

My only issue is I have a baby on the way and my wife won't be working so I need to know that if I need to sell the truck I could do it quickly and maybe make a little money on it.

I just wanted to see if I could get some expert opinions on whether or not this is a good purchase.
Shane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: 70 GMC Should I buy?

Pictures would help tremendously. Welcome to the board!

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Sounds like a great deal to me. As far as selling for a profit I need more info,like is factory two toned, does it have A/C, is it a Sierra Grande even though its 6 cyl 3 on the tree cause GM would have built it that way if thats what you wanted to order. If you can post some pics for us.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Shane M

I will see if I can get some pics up later or tomorrow. I will have to go over there and take them.

The truck is not two toned, does not have A/C and I do not believe it is a Sierra Grande.
This truck looks like it came off a dealer lot brand new other then the engine compartment that is a little dirty.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
cdowns

when it comes to selling these things quick you can usually get at least half of what you paid
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
Shane M

saa:

I appreciate your input. I don't plan on transporting any children in it all, I don't even remember seeing in seat belts in it. I would have a enough savings left over but I just don't like the idea of not having all my money liquid. What you said is exactly what I have been thinking so don't feel like you muddied the water for me.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I would do a little more investigating. A 55k mile truck should not need a new seat cover and a paint job unless it has been wrecked.

I once bought a truck that had 47,000 on the odometer. It had the owners manual, protecto-plate, etc and the owner ( who I knew quite well too) said he thought it was original miles. The original seat had no rips in it but was a little worn. The pedals were worn considerably. It was a nice original truck and the price was right but it just wasn't nice enough for a 47k truck. I went ahead and bought it and while looking through the owners manual I found that the original owner kept a service log in the back, and the odometer had rolled over in 1988..... I wasn't disappointed because I suspected that was the case. Things aren't always as they seem and unless you are talking to the "original" owner who can verify the mileage don't put much stock in what someone "thinks". Sometimes the original owner can't even remember for sure if it has set for quite a while.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
black_sheep454

I would love to see some pics also. If the truck is nice and solid who cares how many miles it has. And if it is that nice $6500 sounds good to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
1988 chevy 1-ton crew cab 2wd waiting for a 12v cummins
black_sheep454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
Shane M

The truck belongs to my father so I know the mileage is correct. He has had it for 30 years so unless it rolled over before he bought it.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

Welcome to the board Shane,

My situation Was I bought mine and found out 2 months later the wife was pregnant. We were trying for a year and were at the point where we weren't sure we it was going to happen. I do haul my kids around in mine, I replaced all the seat belts and brakes to start and I like having real metal between me and the smart/hybrid/little cars on the road. Its not like the small town I grew up in riding in the bed, no seat belts and waving at the cops a long time ago. if we take long trips we take the wife's truck which is safer and more reliable. My son and I already have a lot of memories in that truck and he's told me on more then one occasion its his

Sounds like you need to think about it. and there is no harm in passing up on one. There is also no harm in offering less money. Cash talks no matter who is selling. And having paid 4500 for mine and in 5 years probably adding 12 to that with the new motor coming it can add up quick.

In south florida weather I can see it needing a repaint and the seat recover no matter what the mileage. check over the rockers, windshield and drip rails for rot. it rains enough there. I also would question the odometer rolling over, is he the original owner? but, you never know.

Seriously think about it and look at where your at and where your going, kids aren't cheap and housing, you plan on buying one soon? with a nice garage you can find one in not so good of shape and turn it into a long term make it how you want it piece by piece project.

It's rare to make money on a purchase like this, and never plan on a fast sell.

Good luck in your decision.

P.S. If you could send
Dales BBQ,
Mirandas Sub
Hurricanes chicken wings
That would be awesome
Fort Pierce was that small town I grew up in

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

I see you posted it's from your dad while i was typing. Tell him your keeping it in the family and it would make a great new baby gift!

All the luck!

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
Shane M

So. Cal.

Thanks for the advice. I just bought a house here so I am good there my main concern these days is keeping it. I am sure you are aware of the housing/job situation here.

Your definetly right about Fort Pierce, it is not the small town I grew up in. I moved up to Vero Beach for a while and I loved it up there but I found the dream house in White City that was actually on the same street I grew up on so I grabbed it.

I will go eat some Dales tomorrow and think about you!

I will weigh out the decision with my wife and decide. I really appreciate everyones input here.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
70cst

Lots of good advice. I would vote to have your Dad keep the in the family if at all possible and maybe buy it down the road when your in a better financial situation.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
None of my business but why doesn't he just give it to you to keep it in the family? That's what I'm going to do with my '36 Ford Coupe when I'm done with it, give it to my son.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
noco-k5

I bought a 70 Blazer in what I thought was good shape for 5k. It was in one family and had low miles for a 70. It doesn't sound as nice as the truck you're looking at buying. Since that purchase I've put a new engine, transmission, radiator, starter, and steering box in it. I'm planning on putting on a 2 1/2 inch lift because the original springs are toast and swapping in disc brakes. After all that I'll feel pretty confident that it's mechanically reliable enough to drive frequently and feel much safer with the front disc brakes. It will still need paint at some point and some minor rust repaired. My point is any old car is going to be a money pit no matter how good of shape it's in so that's something you should consider in addition to the purchase price.
noco-k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #16
Shane M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
None of my business but why doesn't he just give it to you to keep it in the family? That's what I'm going to do with my '36 Ford Coupe when I'm done with it, give it to my son.

LockDoc
He just went through a pretty bad divorce and as we all know that can get pretty expensive. He has not been in good health either.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #17
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-

LockDoc
Hey...

I'm willing to be adopted. I might be older than but hey

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #18
dan42

If you could get some type of payment plan with your dad, (if you really want the truck) so that it wouldn't hurt too much, that would be something to consider. Sounds like a pretty cool truck. Don't forget to post pictures.
Posted via Mobile Device
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #19
desertnick69

Just food for thought. I have my uncles 1969 CHEVY C-20 that he bought new and was a dd for the last 42 years the best we can figure is that it had some where in the 650 k to 700k on it, making 10 yrs at 100k +.
desertnick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #20
Hart_Rod

Welcome from the Panhandle! I'm sure everyone would like to see pictures regardless if you buy it or not.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #21
ole dollor

welcome to the board...congrats on the new baby....hope you get every thing worked out...sounds like a great truck.
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote