The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
sleepchamber

Expert in the house? Suspension...Tires....am i crazy?

I am losing my mind here. 1985 Scottsdale 305/th350c I installed new tires four months ago and after about a month i started getting a wobble in the front end between 35mph through 55mph.....becomes a vibration at higher speeds. Cant really say that it was occuring before the new tires, I barely drove the truck since the tires were so dry-rotted. Really noticible when cornering at these speeds. I installed new ball joints upper and lower....new bearings and races.....mechanic who installed balljoints says that all suspension parts are still good and tight. Took the truck to the goodyear dealer who said that all four were out of balance...they balanced them....was good for about a month....still felt a bit of wobble at times. After that month the wobble started getting worse again....took it to another goodyear dealer who roadbalanced the tires and said two were out of balance and one of the rims was barely warped. Rotated the wheels all around....adjusted air pressure up and down...have now installed new brake rotors thinking that they had to be the culprit......guess what.....still have a wobble. Goodyear says it cannot be the tires....WHAT THE heck?
Old 07-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
wyattglock

Re: Expert in the house? Suspension...Tires....am i crazy?

I want to start by saying I really hope you get this figured out! In my experience, I haven't found a Goodyear tire that will stay balanced. That said, maybe you should try and take them to a non-Goodyear tire shop. See if they can balance and rotate them for you, usually it can be done pretty cheap. Don't tell them about any of the vibration issues and see if they come back with a different answer than the dealer. It might not be the tires, but if the suspension parts are new, the tires are where I would start looking.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
J Knight

The first thing I would do is jack the truck up and roll the wheels by hand. Look for and wobble, bend in the rims, bead not seated to the rim correctly, and knots in the tires. Sometimes the belts inside the tire and you can usually see it in the tread as you roll the tire. Another thing you can do is borrow a set of wheels and tires from a friend or family member just for a test drive to see for sure if its the tires/rims or the truck causing the problem.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
spencer_41188

just curious how much gap is in the stearing wheel. how far can you turn the steering wheel befor the wheels turn the problem may be in the sterring box and cheak the frame rail the steering box may have cracked the frame also it maybe time for shocks
the stearing box can be adjusted and the frame can be welded and reinforced

they only came up with the name goodyear because you only get 1 good year with them
Old 07-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
sleepchamber

Steering is tight...no play at all. Frame is good where the box is mounted. Guess imma have to take it to a shop and have them look until they find what the problem is.....it isnt very enjoyable to drive more than five miles. this was the first set of Goodyears i have ever bought.....never again will i stray from the BF's!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Firebirdjones

I've never personally had any troubles with goodyear tires, I've had a set on the back of my 79 1 ton for 15 years. Well past their age expectancy (I should change them just for that reason ) My 69 Mach I still has Goodyear Polyglass tires on it I bought in the 80's. Although flat spotted from sitting all these years, they recently balanced fine when I brought the car out of retirement this summer. (due to age they should be changed too).

It could be that you received a bad tire with a bad belt? Hard to say without being there. That's not uncommon since I've recently had a string of BF Goodrich tires with bad belts, (actually baseball sized knots forming on the sidewalls on 2 different sets). I got tired of dealing with tire shops and balancers so I bought my own electronic spin balance machine and neumatic tire changer about 10 years ago.

I've never had a tire I couldn't balance, old or new. Sometimes I think the shops either don't want to spend the time to do it right or they just want to sell you something more. My father has run into this issue before, and kept taking it back because it was supposed to be free rotation and balance for the life of the tire. Afterwards he would always bring the truck back to me complaining of vibrations (shop couldn't get it right after 3 tries) I balanced them and it was fine.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

a weird wobble for me turned out a rearu joint was toast...
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
tucsonjwt

Just a thought - eyeball the tires and see if the sidewalls have a bulge in them in certain spots. That's what I had on Goodyear Wranglers on new Silverados I have owned. Move the tires with the worst sidewalls to the rear.
There are shops which have "on the car" wheel balancing. Example here:

http://www.butlertire.com/services.asp
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
thesickc10

i had crappy no name tires on the front of my truck that i didnt even bother to balance and had the same wobble 35-55. After 55 all i could feel was a faint shake. Put on new american racing rims and dunlop tires drives like a caddy now. The best thing to do when trying to solve something is pretend youre stupid. When you have knowledge it will start to play tricks on you. Start with the very basics and work your way up. good luck!

1979 camaro 358 super t10

2003 f250 superchip slp exhaust
thesickc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #10
legendman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepchamber View Post
this was the first set of Goodyears i have ever bought.....never again will i stray from the BF's!
I find this funny because never again will I run BF's lol
Had a broken belt on a BF.
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
legendman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendman View Post
I find this funny because never again will I run BF's lol
Had a broken belt on a BF.
Yep, I've had several BFG's that form baseball sized knots in the sidewalls and on the tread. 2 different sets most recently. In BFG's defense both examples were about 10 years old, well past the life expectancy. Too bad they were on cars seldom driven and the tread still looked brand new

I still run BFG's on 3 different cars simply because they offer the sizes I need that other tire manufactures don't carry or act like it's too difficult to obtain.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #12
sleepchamber

man.....have had an alignment shop and driveshaft shop look at this.....they cant find the problem. Replaced front rotors and rear drums. Talk to the folks at the transmission shop who say it cant be the trans....that i would feel the vibration at the same rpm no matter what gears. I have determined that the problem is not the wheels or tires since i have rotated and swapped with spares and all. Can feel it in the seat...not the steering wheel at all. All thats left is the rear end....axle bearings?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

1) First, NEVER take a car to goodyear EVER. Will elaborate later why. The tires may be ok, but the dealers are certainly not. Very unethical.

2) The tires may be out of round. Has this been checked?

i would say the issue here is not necessarily the parts, but finding an ethical shop.

http://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-search

i would suggest trying to locate a shop near you that has this machine:
http://www.gsp9700.com/

Last edited by C-10 simplex; 09-30-2012 at 09:50 AM.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesickc10 View Post
i had crappy no name tires on the front of my truck that i didnt even bother to balance and had the same wobble 35-55. After 55 all i could feel was a faint shake. Put on new american racing rims and dunlop tires drives like a caddy now. The best thing to do when trying to solve something is pretend youre stupid. When you have knowledge it will start to play tricks on you. Start with the very basics and work your way up. good luck!
Do you really live in New Hope? Lucky you; one of my favorite places.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #15
boatpuller

If it was me, I would try and borrow some tires and wheels just to see if that could be eliminated. It sounds like there out of balance. Take it to a non Goodyear place that doesn't have any loyalty to them. Iv'e had out of balance tires with similar symptoms before and the tire place tried to tell me i had a bent rim. Turned out their tire was out of round.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #16
chebyshortbox65

Check leaf spring bushings,ujoints,and pinion angle,is it lowerd I have a high speed vibration I have tracked it down to the rear Carrier I belive when I pulled the rear diff cover I found the crossshaft pin was lose in the carrier so it moves around needs new pin and carrier which I have found to be a common problem with the truck 12 bolt
Posted via Mobile Device
chebyshortbox65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #17
Axle

When you had it in to badyear, where you in the shop? I always like to watch the wheel spin on the balancer so I can 1. See if my wheel has a wobble. 2. See if the tire runs true and without wobble. I've caught more than 1 tire that had a noticable "jerk" to the side before it got put back on my vehicle.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
INSIDIOUS '86

Have your driveshaft and your rear axle bearings checked. Your driveshaft may be reaching critical speed which isn't hard to do with our toothpick driveshafts
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
str8axle55

A friend of mine had a similar with Goodyears, after also switching from BFG`s. It ended up being the tires, after the 5th trip to the Goodyear dealer, a rep came out, looked at them, and gave him a credit on 4 new Michelin`s. You say you swapped them around, did you try swapping all 4 out with another truck. I would also check the U-joints. I think you need to find a good shop. I clickd the link for that GSP9700 Hunter machine, and in the testimonials are pics of my old shop, and my bay, LOL.
str8axle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #20
sleepchamber

It appears to be the rear end....everything in the differential....is worn and loose fitting.....this is going to hurt.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #21
Billett

I was going to suggest you check the bolts for your seat if that's the only place you feel it haha
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #22
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8axle55 View Post
A friend of mine had a similar with Goodyears, after also switching from BFG`s. It ended up being the tires, after the 5th trip to the Goodyear dealer, a rep came out, looked at them, and gave him a credit on 4 new Michelin`s. You say you swapped them around, did you try swapping all 4 out with another truck. I would also check the U-joints. I think you need to find a good shop. I clickd the link for that GSP9700 Hunter machine, and in the testimonials are pics of my old shop, and my bay, LOL.
When I was a ride and handling engineer on these trucks I always had an extra set of Michelin tire/wheel assemblies built up and standing by - for just such an emergency.

The Michelins were better out of the box than any other brand even after the others had been balanced, vectored and shaved.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #23
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
I got tired of dealing with tire shops and balancers so I bought my own electronic spin balance machine and neumatic tire changer about 10 years ago.
I should do this, too. I'd like to hear more about your setup (perhaps you could start a new thread, with some pics, if you are willing).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #24
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepchamber View Post
It appears to be the rear end....everything in the differential....is worn and loose fitting.....this is going to hurt.
I just came across your thread and I was going to suggest the rear end. The 12 bolt in my 85 short bed is in need of rebuilding. It has a wobble too. I took it out of another short bed that had a four speed in it and I wasnt too kind to the drive train. Slamming gears is hard on them.
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote