The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
climberman

Engine and Transmission Idea's

I have a 66 Chevy C10 short bed and need some advice on what is possible for a engine and transmission. I have a 4 speed right now and the cab I bought has the hump for the 4 speed. I want to put a small block V8 in the truck and I am thinking that a automatic would be nice. Has anyone done this to there truck or should I stick to the 4 speed. And would it be better to by a newer small block like the 350 with fuel injection I am thinking it would get better gas mileage.

Thanks for any input.
climberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
sigshooter

Re: Engine and Transmission Idea's

Engine and tranny combinations are ENDLESS!
I have used alot of combinations over the years, my favorite is a small block with a turbo 350 or 700R4 depending on your rear axle ratio. I prefer carbed engines, but I dont drive mine everyday. It is easy to change over from standard to auto tranny and the high hump is good if you plan on using a
4L60E tranny or something similiar, if not it is easy enough to change over to the small hump if that is what you prefer
1964 long bed
1965 long bed Custom Cab, factory air, V-8, powerglide
sigshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
climberman

Sigshooter
Reading up on the transmissions you have posted it sounds like the 700r4 would be a good choice. The cab I have in the truck now doesn't have the hump it was a 3 on the tree and I put the 4 speed in it I like not having the hump. You say it isn't hard to change over to the small hump so that is what I will probably do. If you use the 4L60E do you have to have the high hump.

Also I would like the Trans Shifter to be on the floor I think that is what your idea is also the 4L60E needs the hump and the others don't?

I found a turbo 350 rebuilt on eBay but it said that it is for a Buick or a Pontiac is the the same or do I need a GM turbo 350? Or am I better of with the 700R4

Now for small blocks if you like the carb then would you recommend a 283 or 327 or 350?

Thanks for the help

Rocky
Old 07-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
sigshooter

turbo 350 and 700R4 will fit fine will a small hump, Buick pontiac and oldsmobile use the same bellhousing pattern which is different than a Chevy... so you will need a chevy trans. Engine size is all a matter of personal preference. the 350 is a good all purpose engine. The 283 and 327 have a shorter stroke so they rev up quicker but have a lower top end. a 305 or 307 will probably get you better mileage on hwy driving.

I have a hopped up 6 cylinder in my 65 and a hopped up 327 I am putting in my 66. the six works fine for in town shorter distance driving that I do with it.

the 327 is going to be for hot rodding around

How do you plan to drive your truck?
1964 long bed
Old 07-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
climberman

I will drive it at lest 40 miles a day but some of it on the highway some in town. But my thinking is that if you want an automatic you would need a V8. Or there is the 292 straight 6 that's an idea. We are window cleaners and I have a rack that we through the ladders on but when I restore it I think I will put a shell on with the rack on top of it.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
theastronaut

I'd do a junkyard 4.8 or 5.3 from a newer truck and a 90's/early 00's camaro T56 six speed with 4.10 or 4.56 gears. The iron block 4.8/5.3's are dirt cheap, get good mileage, an make about 270/300 hp stock. The T56 has a .5:1 sixth gear so even with 4:10/4.56 gears you'll only be running about 1800 rpm at 65mph (depending on your tire size). Good mix of short 1-4 gears for towing/acceleration, and a tall sixth gear for mileage. If you look for deals you could buy both a 4.8/5.3 and a T56 for around $1500 bucks. Ive picked up two T56's off Craigslist, one for $600 and $700 for the other. Junkyard 4.8/5.3's can be had for $500-800 bucks. There's a local guy selling a running 4.8 and 4L60E combo with an ecu tuned for stand-alone use for $1200.00, something like that would be a great combo too if you'd rather have an automatic.
Posted via Mobile Device
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
climberman

Thanks theastronaut

Thanks for the idea's I will start look in all directions but it might come down to getting a good deal.

Rocky
Old 07-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
sigshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by climberman View Post
I will drive it at lest 40 miles a day but some of it on the highway some in town. But my thinking is that if you want an automatic you would need a V8. Or there is the 292 straight 6 that's an idea. We are window cleaners and I have a rack that we through the ladders on but when I restore it I think I will put a shell on with the rack on top of it.
I am running a 250 six with a turbo 350 tranny in one of my trucks.... plenty of power, so dont think you need a v8 to run an auto trans. A nice 305 would do you just fine for a daily driver, you dont have to have a hot rod 350 to cruise down the road.

A carb. engine is easier to work on, but if you have the skills changing over to a fuel injected engine is not too hard... for the novice keep it basic and you will be happier because you can do it yourself and keep it going yourself.
Attached Images

1964 long bed
Old 07-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
climberman

Sigshooter

Did you have to change the radiator and if so what did you use?

Thanks for the pics
Old 07-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
sigshooter

MY truck came with the heavy duty rad. ( same as the v-8 ). I put a replacement rad in about 20 years ago and ordered one with the tranny cooler, but I put an external cooler on it and have never used the in rad cooler. External coolers are 30-40 bucks at the parts store.
1964 long bed
Old 07-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
climberman

Thanks a lot man for all the help. I like the idea of a straight 6 but maybe a 292 with the 350 trans I have been looking and the trans is available but I have only found one 292. The motor needs to be close by but some people will ship a trans.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
sigshooter

250's have plenty of horsepower, 292 have more torque for pulling though
1964 long bed
Old 07-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
jocko

if you "like" the manual trans but want overdrive - might consider a T5 swap. Much less expensive than most, if not all, aftermarket 5 and 6 speeds. Must drive it sanely, will not survive a lot of burnouts, even a World Class version. Floor hole will be different than the 4-speed though. Just a thought. Can search on here for many T5 articles.
Here's what I did in my 66 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=482069 Just drove it to Brother's show and back without a hiccup. Mileage still only in the low teens, but it was single digits before that!!
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
climberman

Sig I found this transmission will you take a look and see what you think. I am still thinking of putting a 292 in the truck.

Sent private message.

Last edited by climberman; 07-27-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #15
oldsnakebite

I love the idea of a six. I plan to remove the reman 350 and powerglide from my truck and install a straight 250 with a 200-4r, while keeping the 3.73 gears in the rear.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
padresag

what 4 speed do you have in it now?
this makes it a little confusing," The cab I have in the truck now doesn't have the hump it was a 3 on the tree and I put the 4 speed in it I like not having the hump. You say it isn't hard to change over to the small hump so that is what I will probably do. If you use the 4L60E do you have to have the high hump.
in stating " I have a 4 speed right now and "the cab I bought" has the hump for the 4 speed"; is this a separate cab or in reference to the truck that you have?
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
markreed

FWIW, I have an Olds 350 with a TH400 transmission. Lots of torque, but not great on gas mileage. I think if you are looking for reliability and a motor that is not fickle in cold... A new motor would be great. Lots of performance parts available, easy to find maintenance parts...lots of great transmission options as well.

Plus if you end up going with an LS motor, you can change out parts and upgrade with ease.
markreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #18
climberman

Padresag - Ya that is a little confusing what I was saying is that I have bought another cab because mine is leaking from the top and I don't have enough experience to fix it. the cab that is on the truck now the original one is a 3 on the tree cab. The cab I bought was for the 4 speed with the hump. My truck has the 4 speed now because I change them out.

Hope that makes more sense.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #19
climberman

Well I haven't been here for a while just to busy but I bought a chassis that has the auto trans cross member and there are many 350 auto trans I am still leaning that way. But I am having a tough time even finding someone with a 292 engine. They must be rare are there any cars that had the 292 that I should be looking for?
Old 09-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #20
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Again... don't pass up on a 250 if you can find one. They are just as good as the 292's.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #21
climberman

But would the extra power be better with an automatic?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #22
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

All you're really gonna get is more TQ out of the 292. That might help. But I'm sure a 250 could motivate a rig with a TH350 in it.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote