The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
bowhunter65

who makes the best parts

I just started a frame off restore. So Im going to be buying and endless list of parts. from rubber mounts to brake lines to trim pieces and on and on. I purchased transmission and transfer case mounts from LMC. They look pretty good to me. are they The best source for parts, or should i look elsewhere.
bowhunter65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
1972RedNeck

Re: who makes the best parts

LMC has poor rubber products. LMC is just a vendor. Truck and Car Shop has the a lot of the same parts for less. Shop around before buying.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
terry b

I have used them in the past with no problems. I have found out after watching people on here that you need to buy certain parts from certain venders to get the best parts. Dont be afraid to ask questions.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Check the listing of the vendors on this fine site.They will carry the better reproduction parts(because they use them) and will usually beat LMC pricing.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Check the listing of the vendors on this fine site.They will carry the better reproduction parts(because they use them) and will usually beat LMC pricing.
Great advice..

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
asolde

I have bought a lot of parts from LMC and most of them have been good. Except for my outer tie rod ends, the shank on the cone bolt was too short, so I went to NAPA. The hood to cowl seal is no good either because it is L shaped which is incorrect and should be V shaped, I went to Rock Auto for the correct seal. I am sending the parts back to LMC for a refund, will see how that goes.
asolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

LMC is a huge company with a big advertising budget and that's why everyone knows about them,not because of a great reputation or knowledgeable staff. Being here is how you get the "inside scoop" on who is best for what. You are doing the right thing by asking,although your question is too road and can't be answered with a single source. As you need parts,ask or search and you'll find what's best. As a general answer,going to the site sponsoring vendors is the best way to go,not that there are guys like them who are site sponsors. But,there they all are in one convenient place,just like an LMC catalog. The benefit is these guys search out what's best from personal experience,they themselves are enthusiasts and use what they sell. You find one nearest to you and you can drop by and/or save on shipping. Many will work with you on price when buying a good sized order. It's always nice to shake someone's hand,too.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
LEX

As far as pricing goes, I made a list of parts that I needed which totaled close to $1k. I went to Brothers, LMC and GMC Pauls's website and added everything on the list in the cart to compare prices. The difference was nothing to really say wow about. It's all about customer service. So far, out of the 3 mentioned, GMC Pauls has given me the best.

LMC is huge and can't get too personal as they have a call center. I called them once to ask them who supplies some of their parts. ( rubber, sheet metal, etc ) and the rep didn't know. I then called Brothers and asked them who supplies their rubber. He wasn't sure and then said "Precision, I think." I called GMC Pauls and they were very friendly and knew the answers to everything I asked.
*edit* btw, Precision supplies GMC Pauls with weather seals, gaskets, etc.

Last edited by LEX; 07-09-2012 at 11:47 AM.
LEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
CC69Rat

GMC Pauls for window and door rubber. top notch customer service. I have just recently bought a list of misc 'stuff' for mine from Paul and I am very pleased with all of it. Their push on type door seal rubber is the best I have ever used. No question.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
ERASER5

I use LMC....for the exploded diagrams.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote