The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
Wolfmanhart

Tune up and spark plugs??

Hey guys,

Getting ready to get my 5.7 87 C-10 on the rod and I wanted to do a tune up on it before I did. This is my first V-8 EVER so this is new to me. I wanted to do the air filter, oil and oil filter, radiator flush, spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor. Any thing else you can think of?? What brands for the equipment do you recommend? I was thinking AC Delco for the spark plugs and anything BUT Fram for the oil filter. Any other suggestions or better brands?? Anything else I should look at changing?

Here is one of my first engines...1904CC's and almost 225 HP!! At 1700 lbs it would smoke most anything on the road in my area....

After that its been motorcycle after motorcycle.

Wolfmanhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Re: Tune up and spark plugs??

Nice!
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
Wolfmanhart

Come on guys...Ya'll of all people would have some ideas...
Old 07-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
byeoficr

The good thing is that all engines need the same things to run a V8 is much different than a 4 cylinder. It sounds like you have just about everything covered. The only things I would add is the PCV valve, maybe the fuel filter, run some sea foam through the gas. As far as brand it all personal preference. You can't go wrong with ac delco. I like purolator especially the pure one oil filter. Most of this stuff depends on how mruch you want to spend. You can buy part store replacement wires or step up to accel or MSD 8.8 mm. You can buy STP and purolator or step up to K&N how much do you want to spend. Good luck with your tune up
Posted via Mobile Device
byeoficr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
tucsonjwt

x2 with above, except: I would use only Belden spark plug wires - get them at NAPA - their store brand is made by Belden, but double check them before you buy. I have had a lot of trouble with other brand spark plug wires with very fine cracks in the boots causing arcing and misfires.
I buy oil on sale at the auto parts stores and use whatever filters are on sale also. Others will demand high priced oil and filters (like K&N) but I have never noticed any difference, nor have I seen any data to show that cheap oil and filters harm an engine. I would buy AC Delco from online OEM vendors for all other items (fuel filter, PCV valve, cap, etc.). I use air filter and PCV filter on sale at the parts stores but I would price them at the OEM vendors also.. I use Champion spark plugs (platinum) because I get them for free when they are on sale. In fact, I always pay nothing or very little for oil, filters, wiper blades, wiper fluid, etc., since I shop the sales. If you don't know the OEM vendors, I use:
www.autopartstomorrow.com
www.oewarehouse.com
www.oehq.com
www.rockauto.com
www.gmpartsdirect.com
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
Wolfmanhart

Thanks guys...