The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
zirk

Misc Fuses???

Ok, so long story short, my truck hasn't been running, after a new steering column (out of a junk yard), and endless hours of checking wiring.. i found some fuses that seem to have been added in. They're located by the starter moter, (pics below)... One of them was blown, we replaced it and after a few tries the truck fired right up, after about a minute it shutoff nothing works but the lights (i assume the fuse blew). It's too dark to see anything now, so it sits till tomorrow.. Anyone dealt with anything like this? Also, the heater fan doesn't want to shutoff

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
bigwheel15

Re: Misc Fuses???

My guess is they were Jerry rigged in to replace the fusible links that would normally be there. Does it not want to turn over or the starter stops working?
Posted via Mobile Device
bigwheel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
bowtiemanchevyman

well those two wires send power to the fuse box. i took mine and ran them to a fuse panel on the fender after mine were melted down from headers. one runs the ignition part and the other one run the rest. hers a pic they use a 20 and 25 fuse for them. i like having it there they get there power right from the battery and off the alternator. And it work good as a way to kill the ignition buy pulling the right fuse, so the truck dont start no matter what some one tries trust me, had some one try and still my truck but couldnt get it to turn over no power to the starter or dist.. the cops thought it was funny when they pull up and i was watch the guy tryingto still my truck. all he did was messy up the key thing on the coloum. truck was unlock. cops ask how i did it, and i showed then, they laugh. even if the guy got my hood up he would never think to look there and think of that.
Attached Images

bowtiemanchevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
zirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel15 View Post
My guess is they were Jerry rigged in to replace the fusible links that would normally be there. Does it not want to turn over or the starter stops working?
Posted via Mobile Device
The starter stops working, and the heater/radio doesn't turn on.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
zirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtiemanchevyman View Post
well those two wires send power to the fuse box. i took mine and ran them to a fuse panel on the fender after mine were melted down from headers. one runs the ignition part and the other one run the rest. hers a pic they use a 20 and 25 fuse for them. i like having it there they get there power right from the battery and off the alternator. And it work good as a way to kill the ignition buy pulling the right fuse, so the truck dont start no matter what some one tries trust me, had some one try and still my truck but couldnt get it to turn over no power to the starter or dist.. the cops thought it was funny when they pull up and i was watch the guy tryingto still my truck. all he did was messy up the key thing on the coloum. truck was unlock. cops ask how i did it, and i showed then, they laugh. even if the guy got my hood up he would never think to look there and think of that.
That. Is. Awesome. I may have to do that
Old 07-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
spencer_41188

ahhhh anti theft devices lol there are some funny things people do. i have a buttion on the dash labled start ... its really for the air horns lol just think turn the key nothing, push the cluth and turn the key still nothing ahhh start HOOOOOONK and i come running out with a shotgun ... i love indiana lol
Old 07-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I'd be more concerned with the wire nuts than the fuses....
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
zirk

I got it running good, no great! Just unplugged the radio and the fuse doesn't blow anymore. Working on this mess of wiring is soon to come, just wanted to know that the engine and tranny were all good..