The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

BED- transportation across USA??? clues- tips

I fond JUST a bed i want transported from Tuscon, Az. to me here in Southern , NJ.

I went to freightcenter.com and all the reasonable estimates, were called and they dont do Uncrated sheetmetal due to liability. I see trailer loads of rust free beds traveling across country though. I can't get ahold of any of 'those guys' though.

There were people that said they would do it for $1200 & UP- Ya, so would I
I had a whole truck brought from west tx. for $850- wtf

I don't have to get the bed i found I will settle for any rust free bed if you know any of those guys that make money doing just that. I don't want some 'individual' that has one.

any help appreciated- crossy
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: BED- transportation across USA??? clues- tips

Just a thought - can you have the bed disassembled and crated into one flat box for cheaper transport? I never disassembled one but I bet Randy on this forum would know how to do it. I know the front panel comes out easily, and of course the tailgate just pops off, and I think the wheel wells are bolted in, etc.
I used to work in shipping/receiving at different companies and I know we would ship/receive odd size items (e.g. machinery skidded up on large custom pallets) so I know it is not that unusual. Freight shipping is usually quoted by "weight and cube", meaning how much of a footprint it takes up in the truck and how much it weighs. I would think you could have it stood up on end and have a "forkliftable" custom pallet with open crate surround to protect it from damage. There are custom crating companies in Tucson we used to hire from time to time.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
J Knight

It's a lot easier to transport a whole truck on an auto transport than random part like a truck bed. Have you tried any long haul flatbed companies? They usually have extra space on there trailers when going cross country. If you can't find one I can get you some to try tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

long haul flatbed company was the $1200+ price i got.
The place I want to buy it from will NOT crate or disassemble.

Tucsonjwt- LOTS of bolts holding the bedsides together and a few tack welds in the rear tailgate area. plus this one has a tailgate so all that would have to be heavy strapped down.
thanx.
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Firebirdjones

Shipping is killer as you found out. I'd say $1200 is probably the norm. Those things aren't easy to move around when you're by yourself.

I knew a guy that use to haul them, would stand them up on end and carry 10-12 of them on a flat bed to sell back East.

He no longer does that however since the demand is no longer there.

I understand your dilema though. I lived in Ohio and I just simply traveled out west on my own to grab rust free vehicles. It's either that or ship. Either way it costs money. I eventually just moved out here to save me all the headaches,,,lol.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
Firebirdjones

Your best bet would be to hit a large swap meet. That's where these guys show up to sell beds. That's where the guy I knew would go. He would load up and hit places like Charlotte Auto Fair or Carlisle etc...where there were large amounts of people and swap parts.

I'm betting someone out there still sells complete rust free beds,,,but you'll have to travel to a big event to find them.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote