The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
kray59

Cool steering colunm question

i was wondering and figured some of you guys would know what are the interchangeable steering columns for our year models of trucks. will all 67-72 columns fit all trucks and if not what fits what . thanks in advance , kenny . i have a 72 GMC with column issues.
kray59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: steering colunm question

Any column from these years should fit and work if it has the correct shifter or yoou use a floor shifter.Be more specific about what is wronng with yours and maybe someone can help get yours right and save you a few $$$$.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
kray59

Cool Re: steering colunm question

thanks for reply. i have a 72 GMC . when i traded for it there was an aftermarket column in it . a friend had a 68 parts truck and gave me the column out of it . i think some of the parts are missing because the collar bellow the one the turn signal is in will turn i'm guessing about as much as a 3 on tree would but has no provition for any shifter . the collar that the signal assembly is in will move an inch or so either way when useing turn signals. hope that is plain enough info for some advise . thanks in advance , kenny.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
ole dollor

kray59 :sounds like you have a floor shift column from your friend...the part where the shifter would go will turn like you said...thats ok. but where the turn signal switch goes is not ok for it to move back and forth....take it apart and look under the turn signal switch and see why its loose, could be that you can tighten it up....if its just wore out then you need to look for another column....also what is wrong with the column you have now....? is yours a column shift standard shift or a auto trans shift....or a floor shift truck...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
kray59

Cool Re: steering colunm question

Ole dollar, thanks for reply , the column that was in it was an aftermarket for floor shift . the wiring was not the same as the wiring in the truck so i got the column out of friends parts truck for free so i thought i would pass it on and gave the aftermarket column to another friend who is puting togeather a studibaker truck . i have had the parts truck colmn apart and changed the signal switch . put it back togeather the same way it came apart that is why i think some parts may be missing from PO . it is from a floor shift truck .my GMC came to me with an aftermarket floor shifter (automatic-turbo 350) may end up having to buy another column but was trying to avoid it. thanks again , kenny.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
ole dollor

i see now...well if you have an auto floor shift you can use any column you want, if it has a column shift you can cut it off and plug the hole....good luck on your truck....have fun with it....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote