The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
50mercfan

whats the difference in fan shrouds?

72 c10. i'm putting factory air in a non air truck. went on line to look at buying a new fan shroud. i discover "with air" and "with out air". can some one show me the difference?
50mercfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: whats the difference in fan shrouds?

Don't have pictures for you but knowing why is also important. The primary shroud difference is a result of RPO C60 A/C also included HD cooling. A look throught the parts book shows a number of options that depending on series would trigger HD cooling as well. So if your truck has factory HD cooling you are good to go. If not a radiator upgrade is in your future to. Don't forget A/C also included a 61amp alternator upgrade and required RPO J70 power brakes on CE10s. Might want to think about what springs you are running as well. A/C added 100 lbs to the vehicle weight and 90 was on the front axle.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
FirstOwner69

Here's a link to a previous thread on shrouds.... assuming you have a small block with short water pump. I modified a non-A/C shroud by running masking tape around the perimeter of the shroud "tunnel", cutting it along the edge of the tape with a sabre saw, then sanding the cut edge smooth. Cut slow! The original shrouds I've seen have a mold line around the tunnel. I ran the tape parallel to that line and about 3/16" from it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446805
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
50mercfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Don't have pictures for you but knowing why is also important. The primary shroud difference is a result of RPO C60 A/C also included HD cooling. A look throught the parts book shows a number of options that depending on series would trigger HD cooling as well. So if your truck has factory HD cooling you are good to go. If not a radiator upgrade is in your future to. Don't forget A/C also included a 61amp alternator upgrade and required RPO J70 power brakes on CE10s. Might want to think about what springs you are running as well. A/C added 100 lbs to the vehicle weight and 90 was on the front axle.

here's what melba toast is packin' 350 out of a 69 camaro, serpintine system off of a 95 chevy truck with the cs alternator, a4 compressor, power disc brakes, 2.5 in drop spindles, 1.25" sway bar, factory 4 core radiator.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
50mercfan

thanks first owner, thats what i needed. i was worried about the a/c lines coming through the radiator support being in the way or something. i think my fan and belt combo changed everying. i can use the non a/c shroud i think