The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2012, 02:50 AM   #1
MikeS.

Vehicle security and insurance

Basically 2 ?s

1, how are you securing your rides from theft? W/o all the modern electronics, engine immoblizers and all. An alarm just doesn't cut it. No one pays attention to them On my last truck, a 66 lwb,bbw I would pull the coil wire and carry it with me. Not great but better than nuttin honey. On my 63Burb I'm gonna install an HEI, no coil wire there?

2, who offers insurance? I have Nationwide on my 2 modern rides, but I hear they won't cover my value of the Burb.

Thanks.
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
Rannos

Re: Vehicle security and insurance

On my truck (which I can't see anyone wanting but me) I had 2 kill switches. Both cut power to the HEI. Motor would turn over, electric fuel pump would run but no spark. One was keyed disconnect so I could remove the key and carry it with me. The other was a hiden in plan sight toggle switch. They were wired in series so if either wasn't good it was a no go.
As for insurance I just put basic insurance on mine. Most ppl would notice my truck but it isn;t something someone would try and steal. She's just a primered black beat up farm truck with a healthy small block.
Rannos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
SFTorange

A lot of guys use master disconnect switches that are keyed, and (I think) Markeb01 has a lock set up on his hood to keep people out. There is a thread somewhere on here describing how to do it.

As for insurance, there are quite a few companies out there who specialize in classic cars. I've used American Classic insurance, but it seems that a lot of guys use Haggarty. Most places will allow you to set an agreed upon price for your vehicle that is paid in the event of a major accident. The insurance can be very cheap if you don't drive it much, and the costs go up accordingly. I also think some companies ask for an appraisal, but I'm not sure.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Having some sort of ignition kill or disconnect is about the best you can do, aside from an electronic tracking/recovery system - that doesn't even guarantee a discount on your insurance. Most of the classic car insurance providers want to know your driving intentions for the vehicle (daily, weekend, to car shows, etc.), how many miles per year you intend to drive, and if you store it overnight in a locked personal garage at your residence.

I have my home, business and autos on a Nationwide bundle, as well. But, when I finished my '63 Pontiac and declared a higher value, my insurace premium went through the roof. It pays to shop around for classic car insurance. I compared Hagerty, Grundy, Classic, American, Geico Collector Car, Chubb, Hartford, Progressive, and Heacock Classics. I ended up with Heacock. While all of them provided a rate that was less than my current insurance, Heacock had the best rate with the roadside service, etc. for my car. I saved $150+ per year over the orginal rate with Nationwide before I declared the higher value.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
64shortbox

As vin63 said,
A hidden ignition kill is good & there is the electronic tracking but that comes with a monthly fee.

I would definatly go with a specialty classic insurance company to insure your truck if it's not going to be a daily driver. Also make sure you read ALL the conditions before you choose an insurance company. Most if not all state your vehicle must normally be kept in a garage. Some only cover your vehicle during a car show or parade etc. or if you are going to or from a show.

Personally I chose Hagerty. Zero deductible & it's an agreed value policy they did want 2 pictures (I emailed them) a 3/4 drivers side - front view and a 3/4 passenger side - rear view. I didn't have to have the vehicles appraised. I've had one claim - a $1,200.00 windshield and they were very easy to deal with, one call & done. I have 3 Classics insured with them with an agreed value of 8K, 15K & 30K, my premium is less than $400.00 a year.

For my road side service I have a AAA premier membership. The first year it covers 200 miles of free towing after that first year it covers 300 miles of free towing on a single tow and it covers any vehicle I own. So my daily drivers are insured by Geico, our classics are covered by Hagerty and our road side service is covered by AAA.
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
MikeS.

64shortbox, have you looked at AAA home&car insurance? When we lived in Fresno & Clovis we had AAA for many years. They had the best prices back then.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
MikeS.

Thanks guys.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:01 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I take my whole pcm out, at minimum lock the hood....and realize most thiefs couldn't figure out how to drive my truck.

I just wish these trucks had better door locks, something that couldn't be opened with a butter knife in 5 seconds.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:19 AM   #9
chadh100

progressive insured my truck for the cash value I quoted them. All they wanted was 4 pictures to make sure its not a rust bucket.
chadh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:03 AM   #10
MikeS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
I take my whole pcm out, at minimum lock the hood....and realize most thiefs couldn't figure out how to drive my truck.

I just wish these trucks had better door locks, something that couldn't be opened with a butter knife in 5 seconds.
Isn't that the truth! I've done exactly that on more than 1 occasion when my daughter locked the keys in the truck.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:03 AM   #11
elvis.donnelly

You know what’s awesome? A security tracking device. We have The LoJack for both our cars. As for insurance, we have the AARP Hartford . Been with them for 12 years now and have had no trouble with their rates or service. If you’re over 50, I’d urge you to contact them for a rate. You get a pretty great discount, which just makes it better!

Last edited by Sillyoldman; 09-19-2013 at 06:42 AM.
elvis.donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:25 AM   #12
DesertCat

I have Haggerty and remove my battery when I am away. Of course that's 6 months at a time.

Also have this vicious beast on guard duty
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

ur guard dog looks like a teddy bear.....ferocious.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
MikeS.

Fiestiest dog I ever owned was a 5 pound poodle she'd tear anybody up. She ruled the St. Bernard we had.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
chevyboy55

DEI alarm with a starter kill, So when the alarms armed there's no juice to the starter at all.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #16
boatpuller

I just started with a company called J.C Taylor. Don't know much about them.They were cheap enough though.....On a side note, I own a 9 lb toy poodle male that owns the neighborhood. He's tore into the neighbors lab and whooped another neighbors Austrailian cattle dog. He wears the "bad to the bone" collar. I realize he's no match for dog's known for fighting.But pound for pound he's a onerey as they come. I used to work with a guy that had a large standard Poodle that would chase down and kill a coyote. If youv'e never owned a Poodle.Your conception of them is way off.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
BarryB

Not sure what others had said, but a friend of mine would put a toggle switch under the dash hidden of course to cut the ignition, but somehow he had it rigged when he had it turned off and somebody else tried to turn it on it would sound the horn.

On another note, I would like to see how some of you guys are locking your hoods. I've seen some that were all rigged with a chain and pad lock, but didn't look the best.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #18
Axle

On my Nova I used a bicycle cable lock (small loop on either end) and a small u-bolt to some exisiting holes on the hood innder panel. Drop the cable down between the fender and wrap the other end around the bumper bracket and padlock it shut. You do notice the cable at certain angles, but it mostly hidden and ignored by the masses. Car guys notice it since they know there ain't no cable/wire there.

Got tired of finding my hood adjar from lookee-loos. Like, what gall to just go open up the hood on somebody elses car just to see whats there or steal a jumpstart or whtatever it was they where attempting...

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote