The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
84chevyguyid

Custom dash?

I want to add 2 gauges to my cummins/chevy crew cab dash, need a boost gauge and a pyrometer. Two essential items when you start turning up a diesel. My plan is to move the right side ac vent down where the radio currently resides and add the two gauges to the spot where the vent was but make it look factory using the 2 holes with the gauges recessed like the other gauges are. I am going to have air ride/assist on the front and rear suspensions so I needed an air guage also. I went to the truck wrecking yard the other day and scored a guage cluster with the air gauge in the lower left position. I also found a gauge panel with a 5000 rpm tach with the fuel gauge under it and a 100 mph speedo. I am going to have an overhead console and can put the radio up there so deleting it from the dash is not a problem. Does anybody have any pics of a dash with gauges put in the right side vent position? I did find a pic of what looks like a truck dash with those 2 extra holes added. I have seen a few where they made a plate and mounted them in the plate but I am after the factory look so I hate to do them that way. Any suggestions on how to construct it?
Attached Images

84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Re: Custom dash?

I'd get my hands on a few extra bezels, ones that are damaged and basically worthless. That way you can practice and learn and end up with a better final product without as many "oops". You might even think of using a 90/91 suburban bezel, it has a different radio opening which might be easier to convert to an AC duct. Of course this matter what year your truck is I guess, since the wiper and headlamp switch will be a huge factor.

Is a good idea, can't wait to see some work on the design and a final bezel!
Attached Images

When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Corts60
Just here to tinker

I made that photo above awhile back throwing out ideas for this. It didn't seem like too many people had opinions at the time. I am currently in the middle of doing this to my truck right now (also diesel) and it is not easy. I found a spare bezel that I cut the upper left corner gauges out of and have shaped to fit in the old a/c vent spot. The problem is the gauges on that side are molded for the angle they are at and when you flip them to the other side, they look a little off. You can't flip them upside down because of the deep wall /short wall in the gauge hole. So right now I am scratching my head trying to figure out what is the best to do.

Also, I think the only bezel you could get away with doing this to is the '78 and later bezels. The early ones wouldn't even look close to factory because there is no square edges around the gauges to hide the modifications to.

This bezel you could buy extra brushed aluminum and cover up your mods:

And if the bezel itself wasn't hard enough, figuring out mounting for the gauges so they sit right will be a bear too.

I am not giving up though and am going to make more progress today. I'll post pics.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
84chevyguyid

Yeah the funky angle on the openings makes it tough. How about cutting each circle out and rotating them some? I dont have a panel in front of me right now, but would that be close to the right angle by doing that?
Old 07-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Here is what I have accomplished so far: The angles actually aren't that goofy. Forgive the rest of the beat up bezel, I am waiting to figure this out before I order a new one.

When I order a new bezel, I am going to order an extra set of brushed aluminum pieces to cover this area.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Corts60
Just here to tinker

At the very least, we can make it look like a dealer add on.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
84chevyguyid

Heck yeah! So where did you get the dash pic in post 3? Is that a real item? I have a friend that has several cnc machines, I thought I would show him these pics and maybe he could whittle out a new faceplate the right dimensions and I could build backwards from the face. I probably wont get time to mess with it much till this winter, just getting ideas.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Corts60
Just here to tinker

I made that pic too. They are all fake. I think I made a wood grain one somewhere as well. Working on installing a vacuum gauge right now. It is not going to be easy because even if I get it to sit right, I still have to fit a plastic window plus some sort of box to encapsulate it so that when the dash lights are on it doesn't bleed light everywhere. This is alot tougher than I thought.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
v30crewcab

I just got a pillar pod for a jeep xj, and mounted my two gauges in it.
I've been looking for one of the bigger truck gauge sets though, with the air gauge on the left and the tach.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
84chevyguyid

I am fortunate to have a huge truck wrecking yard in the area. I went through lots of trucks before I found these. The counter guy says they are pretty popular and when they get trucks in with factory tachs, they dont last long. So does anybody know what kind of plastic the bezels are made from?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
J Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84chevyguyid View Post
So does anybody know what kind of plastic the bezels are made from?
I've been hauling plastic pellets exclusively for the past 14+ years and there is so many different grades of plastic for so many different products, some you wouldn't even know plastic is even in them it would boggle your mind. It may take tracking down a manufacturer to get the specs on type of plastic used for gauge bezels.

One thing that plants do to save on raw materials and waste is to regrind defective parts and feed it back through the molds. You might want to consider grinding up some broken bezels to get the right plastic you need to make your mods.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #12
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

may want to look for an early grand prix lemans
my 81 had the gauges on the other side
i've wondered if the tach would work even
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
JRANGER

hmmm....I have 3 bezels right now....Might see what i can come up with for yall...One is trash so instantly it gives me the ability to do some cutting on...The other 2..1 is perfect and the other if for my truck so....I dunno i will see if i can do some cutting and mocking up
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #14
wilkin250r

I've done quite a bit of plastic welding on ATV fenders and such, and matching the right plastic is a pain. I do it with a soldering iron that has a special tip for welding plastics, and I usually find some inconspicuous spot to cut strips of plastic to use as filler material.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
JRANGER

Nice....Since im going to use an existing bezel to cut the plastic will match and on top of that I have an idea that may just work perfectly...
Old 07-20-2012, 04:24 AM   #16
76C10Stepside

I need to replace mine too (same kind). I'm gonna make a new faceplate out of heavy aluminum plate and either paint with black crinkle or cover it with something, maybe veneer. Will surface-mount new whiteface guages in it for maximum visibility for my bad eyes. Can't even read the speedo at night!
76C10Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #17
JRANGER

Looked at the setup last night and its definetly possible to put two stock size gauges in there...I dunno if i will have time this weekend but I will try to make some cuts and see what I can do
Old 07-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #18
76C10Stepside

My truck has a factory Tach. Maybe I should not be so quick to throw it away!
My dash has three annoying issues:
1. Top-left corner is broken off (this seems to happen a LOT).
2. The clear plastic lenses are all "foggy". Polished the outsides with Mother's Chrome Polish (works on plastic). It removed the scratches and some of the "fog", but the insides are still foggy.
3. Backlighting is WAY too dim, and the lights keep blinking off. Already replaced the bulbs, no difference. May be a ground issue, but can't get under there to work on it and could not get the dang thing out. Why didn't they make the entire dash panel (easily) removable for servicing???!!! Is there a step-by-step How To Remove Dash Panel for these?
Old 07-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #19
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76C10Stepside View Post
My truck has a factory Tach. Maybe I should not be so quick to throw it away!
My dash has three annoying issues:
1. Top-left corner is broken off (this seems to happen a LOT).
2. The clear plastic lenses are all "foggy". Polished the outsides with Mother's Chrome Polish (works on plastic). It removed the scratches and some of the "fog", but the insides are still foggy.
3. Backlighting is WAY too dim, and the lights keep blinking off. Already replaced the bulbs, no difference. May be a ground issue, but can't get under there to work on it and could not get the dang thing out. Why didn't they make the entire dash panel (easily) removable for servicing???!!! Is there a step-by-step How To Remove Dash Panel for these?
Look up about painting the in side of the cluster and reg bulbs light up better
I did mine in the sig below 78/79
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #20
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Got the vacuum gauge installed this weekend. Now I am just on the hunt for an air gauge to put next to it for my on board air. I still don't have the plastic lens on yet or the lights hooked up.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #21
JRANGER

looks good corts...I started cutting away at some stuff but didnt get too far.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #22
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Got the vacuum gauge installed this weekend. Now I am just on the hunt for an air gauge to put next to it for my on board air. I still don't have the plastic lens on yet or the lights hooked up.

kooks like it's gona blend right in ,cool
Old 07-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #23
84chevyguyid

I stopped by my friends body shop last night, he does lots of plactic repair, and had him take a look at the bezel. Turns out its made from abs, which he says is real easy to glue and or melt/weld together. He says just use broken pieces of your old bezel for welding material. He actually likes using a soldering iron with a wide tip to weld with. He added a rheostat, like you would use on a ceiling fan to adjust the speed, to control the temp and has it heating continously. I need to catch up with my machinist friend and have him make me a new aluminum faceplate to fit the existing gauges with the two extra holes on the right for the new gauges then I should be able to cut the dash piece for the two gauges and glue it into place behind the faceplate. since the thing is constructed out of abs, it should be easy to glue together and also glue some mounting tabs on the backside so the two extra gauges can attached. Gee, sounds so simple...
Old 07-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #24
76C10Stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84chevyguyid View Post
I stopped by my friends body shop last night, he does lots of plactic repair, and had him take a look at the bezel. Turns out its made from abs, which he says is real easy to glue and or melt/weld together. He says just use broken pieces of your old bezel for welding material. He actually likes using a soldering iron with a wide tip to weld with. He added a rheostat, like you would use on a ceiling fan to adjust the speed, to control the temp and has it heating continously. I need to catch up with my machinist friend and have him make me a new aluminum faceplate to fit the existing gauges with the two extra holes on the right for the new gauges then I should be able to cut the dash piece for the two gauges and glue it into place behind the faceplate. since the thing is constructed out of abs, it should be easy to glue together and also glue some mounting tabs on the backside so the two extra gauges can attached. Gee, sounds so simple...
I'd like to know the details of how he welds these! Does he just melt the edges and push the two pieces back together? Does it leave a crack that needs to be filled? What does he fill it with? How do you match the "grain" pattern on the face? etcetera...
Old 07-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #25
'79squared

I think thats going to turn out pretty dam good Corts. And as for 76c10, paint the back white like this and take off the clear and use a polishing wheel on a drill to apply the mothers.
Attached Images