The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
AirSpeed

Smog

I sold my 87 K5 to a kid I know, he smogged it last week and was told it almost passed but would have to be taken to a Gold Star smog station after he fixed a few issues like the plugs & wires, change oil, basic tune up stuff. Today he was told by the gold star station that it passed emissions but he couldn't give him a cert because it blew a puff of white smoke when he hit the gas. The guy tells him he might need the heads done, new EGR, and maybe a new cat converter. The kid and I have already put a lot into this thing, he can't afford new heads right now and I'm already out way too much on it as well, I gave it to him for $1500 and put half that much back into it to help the kid out. Anyone have any experience with these Gold Star smog stations? Any ideas how to get it to pass without spending more money? By the way the kid and I agreed he would take care of the smog. Thanks for any suggestions, this is a good, hard working kid, kinda rare these days, I really want to help him out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by AirSpeed; 07-14-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Sniff to smog
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Sillyoldman

Re: Smog

I can't help but have to say kudos to you.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

As much as I hate to do it, I hate CA smog more, what about some no smoke in the oil just to get it to pass? I'd rather see a safety inspection for the junkers I run into on the highway then smog.

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by So.Cal.Super View Post
As much as I hate to do it, I hate CA smog more, what about some no smoke in the oil just to get it to pass? I'd rather see a safety inspection for the junkers I run into on the highway then smog.
Does that stuff actually work? I've seen it before but never had the occasion to use it. The thing runs really good, it's only got 130 thousand easy miles on it and I took really good care of it. It really sucks the tech was so anal to fail it over a puff of smoke! It only did it once when he revved it. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

I'm not sure if it does, only heard of people using it. was it white smoke, blue smoke? that's probably a good question to ask first, was the truck hot when you tested it? I used to always get my oil changed, fill up with premium, run it down the freeway and when i got to the smog place I would leave it idol until they were ready. it's such a pain and especially when your trying to do something nice for this kid. Maybe try a different shop? never heard of this Gold star, are they a test only station or a test and repair? and does it puff every time you hit the gas?

Man Card Rules

Old 07-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
MusicMan70

From CA DMV

Gold Shield Program Fact Sheet

Scheduled to end in 2013 and will be replaced by STAR Test Only and STAR Test and Repair stations.
STAR Performance Standards (Starts 2013)

November 2010

The Gold Shield Program is designed to make the Smog Check Program more convenient for consumers. It allows a licensed Smog Check station, that meets higher performance standards to provide a variety of inspection and repair services to California consumers. In addition to the regular Smog Check inspection and repair services, Gold Shield stations can inspect and certify "Directed Vehicles," issue certificates to "Gross Polluters," and perform state subsidized repairs through the Consumer Assistance Program.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
AirSpeed

Quote:
I'm not sure if it does, only heard of people using it. was it white smoke, blue smoke? that's probably a good question to ask first, was the truck hot when you tested it? I used to always get my oil changed, fill up with premium, run it down the freeway and when i got to the smog place I would leave it idol until they were ready. it's such a pain and especially when your trying to do something nice for this kid. Maybe try a different shop? never heard of this Gold star, are they a test only station or a test and repair? and does it puff every time you hit the gas?
He drove 75 miles to the smog place and it's over 100 degrees today, (Redding Ca.) we changed the oil twice this week, once six days ago and again last night. It's got all new plugs & wires, new air filter. It doesn't smoke all the time, once in awhile when it's first started and when it's been idling a long time and the peddle slapped. It's a white puff of smoke, it doesn't smoke going down the road, I've driven behind it and it runs clean. I bought it almost new, it had 18000 when I got it and it always ran great, I was always tinkering with it, changed the oil religiously and never beat on it at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
AirSpeed

The smog guy now seems to think some valve seals will most likely take care of it, I've never done it but it seems pretty straight forward. If its nothing more than pulling the valve covers, rockers and holding the valves up, we could take care of it easily (an assumption) what surprises would I find putting seals on it? Special tools other than a spring compressor? Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
trac209

You'll need a plug hole fitting to hook up an air line to hold up the valves. Other than that it's a straight forward job. You could try using some 20/50 oil to cut the slight valve leaking down enough to pass if it's that close. I have used a product called engine restore in the past and it has cut down oil use albeit temporarily. Good on you for being a helpfull seller I'm sure the kid apreciates it.
Posted via Mobile Device
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #10
oldspowered67C10

Truthfully, Id try a different station, not all smog techs are all that strict on the visible smoke test. Unless the laws have changed you dont have to get it repaired at a Gold Shield station, it can be done at a test and repair station also. Really the deal with the Gold Shield stations is that theyre allowed to repair as well as certify a car that is a test-only car while a non-Gold shield test and repair can do the repairs but they cant certify it, after repairs it will have to be certified at a test-only station.
oldspowered67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
Lee H

What weight oil is in it? I'd put a straight weight oil in it, at least 40 or more. Add a bottle of hyperlube or Lucas stop leak. Use a different test only station. That with a fresh tune up will probably pass. With the new visual "is it smoking" rule, your truck is on the very slippery slope and a rebuild, at least a valve job, is in it's future. Also all smog test results are automatically, electronically sent to the DMV, they can see all tests and the results.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
AirSpeed

Thanks all! We will give these ideas a try and see what happens. I will let you know if it is successful. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #13
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

If it's "white"... it's prolly water vapor. If it's "bluish white"... it's oil. Which is prolly what it is. Which would be normal for a vehicle that old with probably a lot of miles. Valve seals could do it for ya, to get you by this year. But you might be lookin' at new valve guides or a re-ring in the future.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by trac209 View Post
You'll need a plug hole fitting to hook up an air line to hold up the valves. Other than that it's a straight forward job. You could try using some 20/50 oil to cut the slight valve leaking down enough to pass if it's that close. I have used a product called engine restore in the past and it has cut down oil use albeit temporarily. Good on you for being a helpfull seller I'm sure the kid apreciates it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the advice, I assume I wont want to put too much air pressure in the cylinder, could the air pressure turn over the engine? Do I need to have it on a specific stroke, compression stroke? I am installing the seals tomorrow and can use all the advice I can get! Thanks again for the suggestions, we may use all of them! I don't want him to fail smog again if possible!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
trac209

Just pull all the rocker arms off and plugs out and use your compressor fitting in the cyl your going to do. Do one cyl at a time (do not remove springs before chamber is full of air).you only need about 70 psi to hold the valves up but more is ok if they are a bit leaky.the engine shouldn't turn at least I have never seen one do it. Another old trick is to stuff some nylon rope in there to hold valves up but I dont like that one due to it could get stuck or leave shreds behind. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #16
AirSpeed

We changed the valve seals today, went well until I tried out the piece of crap spring compressor I just bought! One of the hooks was just a little too long (or the other too short of course) and it kept slipping off. Don't buy cheap spring compresors! Anyway I got it too work after a little practice. The old seals were split, dried up or completely gone. The rockers and top of the head and inside valve covers were spotless clean,I was surprised how clean it was. the valve stems seemed very tight, I had compressed air holding them up but I couldnt feel any play in the valve guides. I put it back together and started it up getting a single puff of smoke then nothing, just "clean" exhaust. We let it sit for a couple hours and started it again and still no smoke. Hopefully that will help it pass smog this time. He is going to try out some Restore and change the oil with some 50 wt, it's been hot here so I don't think it will hurt anything. Thanks for the advice everyone! I will let you know what happens when he takes it back to the smog guy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by trac209 View Post
Just pull all the rocker arms off and plugs out and use your compressor fitting in the cyl your going to do. Do one cyl at a time (do not remove springs before chamber is full of air).you only need about 70 psi to hold the valves up but more is ok if they are a bit leaky.the engine shouldn't turn at least I have never seen one do it. Another old trick is to stuff some nylon rope in there to hold valves up but I dont like that one due to it could get stuck or leave shreds behind. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, I used air and worked great, the engine did turn over, only on two cylinders, it freaked me out the first time, I knew it could happen but didn't think about it until it did, my hand was on the AC compressor pulley when the piston went down, no harm, the belt only moved a few inches and my hand was on top. Thanks again! Aaron
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2012, 02:32 AM   #18
trac209

Glad it worked out,I'm sure your good to go at your next smog test.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #19
AirSpeed

Smog tests suck! We changed the valve seals, EGR valve, changed the oil, all the things the smog guy told us to do, things he said would cure the issues. This morning the kid took it back and it failed again, this is the fourth time, the first test locally and three "gold star" tests, now the smog guy says a new cat converter will fix it! This sucks, each trip to the gold star smog shop cost over $100 with gas and the cost of the test. We've spent at least $200 on parts and now have to spend another $100 for a new catalytic converter and another $100 for gas and another test. It's going to end up costing $1000 by the time it's all over and we don't even know if a new catalytic converter will fix the problem! I'm thinking he should sell the damn thing or part it out at this point!
Do I have to buy a specific converter or can I get one out of a similar sized, low mile wrecked truck at the junk yard? I have found a few universal converters for around $50, will one of these work or should we just go for the specific model made for the truck? Any suggestions or recomendations would be GREATLY appreciated! Maybe I should compress the exhaust out of my wife's car, it had zero emmisions it's last test, put it in a bottle and pipe it to the K5s exhaust, heck I could make some fake pipes and pump the bottled exhaust into it! I am so glad my trucks never need smog! Another reason to drive old trucks! Thanks all! Again, any suggestions, no matter how ridiculous will be considered at this point!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #20
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

was it the puff of smoke that failed it again?

Man Card Rules

Old 07-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #21
AirSpeed

No, the truck doesn't smoke at all since we changed the valve seals, not a single puff of smoke! I'm not sure the specific reason for the failure this time, I'm waiting for the kid to get back with the printout, it's a four hour round trip to the smog shop.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #22
AirSpeed

Quote:
was it the puff of smoke that failed it again?
No smoke at all, last time the smog guy said it passed emissions but the smoke failed it, this time no smoke but it failed emissions! Ugh!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #23
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

I wish you the best, I know your trying to help the kid and this sucks. let us know what you find out.

Man Card Rules

Old 07-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #24
Lee H

The smog tests 4 different exhaust gases at 2 speeds. Which test/speed failed and by how much? A "new" cat will generally clean up all but has the most dramatic effect on HC and NOX usually by about 1/2.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #25
jocko

ok, don't laugh... But an old guy told me when I was a teenager with a chugging old 57 bel air with dual quads and header glass packs to pour a can of heet (fuel line anti-freeze) and put 3-4 mothballs in the tank about 25-50 miles before the smog check. I have no idea if it made any difference, but it passed every time and always pissed off the smog check operator. Smog check machines are probably a bit more complicated nowadays, but this was the Indiana tailpipe sniffer test, if that helps.

Now, I'm not sure I'd go throwin any moth balls in my tank today, but there you have it. Heet cannot hurt the engine.
Just to give you an idea of this old guy's crazy remedies, believe it or not - a half jar of corn meal sealed my (bad) radiator leak. Also used pepper in another radiator with a pinhole leak and that worked too. No, I'm not kidding.

Bottom line - I may have missed above if you've taken it to the same guy repeatedly - but if you've been twice and failed, I'd never go back to the same dude.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote