The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
mattpiotr

AmsOil

Well Ive been talking to a buddy who is a Amsoil Dealer and he has been trying to get me to run Amsoil in my 86 350 GMC for years, ive been running synthetic blend for a while and am going to pull the heads off the motor and get them re built when i put them back on i was going to put some Amsoil in it...My Question is would running the stuff in a older engine like that hurt it? it reads 141,000 but i know the motor has been rebuilt before, im just not sure when......i was thinking about going with the 10W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil along with a Amsoil EAO24 25,000 Mile Filter....would it really be worth my bucks to go with this or should i try something else? Thanks
mattpiotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Weasel Diesel

Re: AmsOil

On hyd flat tappet you need high zinc. Signature series oils dont have enough. Use Amsoil's Z-rod oil.
Weasel Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
Weasel Diesel

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/zrt.aspx
Old 07-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
v30crewcab

not sure about the engine but thats what I run in my nv4500 and transfer case. good stuff.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

But does a stock engine with stock valve springs really need all that zddp?
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
ProStreet83C10
Drag Racer

id be worried on an older engine a full synthetic MAY end up showing oil leaks.

1983 Chevy C10

R/T: .194
60': 2.322
330: 6.379
1/8: 9.803
MPH: 71.37
1000: 12.781
1/4: 15.314
MPH: 88.79
ProStreet83C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

Ive run Amsoil synthetic in many of my older vehicles and never noticed any difference. I never understood how synthetic could make and engine leak oil, but I want to point out I dont know eveything. Id love to know how it does, if it does. My older vehicles arent daily drivers tho.
My 08 Silverado has over 200k on it and doesnt use any oil between oil changes. ( about 8k between) Ive run it in it since it had 25k on it.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
wyattglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
But does a stock engine with stock valve springs really need all that zddp?
To answer this question, z-rod for a daily driver might be a little excessive on the zddp if it is in stock trim. However, the 10w-40 or 20w-50 with zinc additive is for the less built flat tappet motors. However, if the vehicle is not driven daily or on a regular basis, I would highly recommend the Z-Rod oil. It has more rust resisting agents in it to help fight corrosion while the vehicle is parked for long intervals.

There are several studies out on the internet that offer varying opinions on the zddp contents of oil. However, most are in consensus that the newer formulations of oil do not have adequate levels of zinc for engines with flat tappet cams. The zinc content can help roller cam engines as well, but it is still debated as to how effective it is in these more efficient engines.

I run the 10w-40 with zinc in my 1989 tbi 454. Since I have bought a third vehicle and will not be driving it as much, I am going to switch out the oil to the Z-Rod. Either way, you cant go wrong with either one of them.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

The zddp oils aren't made to be run in vehicles with a catalytic converter from what i've read.

Also... if you're pullin' heads on an old engine to have them "redone"... you're gonna start suckin' oil past the worn out rings in the bottom end...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
The zddp oils aren't made to be run in vehicles with a catalytic converter from what i've read.

Also... if you're pullin' heads on an old engine to have them "redone"... you're gonna start suckin' oil past the worn out rings in the bottom end...

Gary
If that old motor has 50-80,000 on it, in good shape....I would not be scared about a regrind....if you talk 100-150,000,you are putting a "bandaid" on an f...ing bullet wound crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #11
Weasel Diesel

hope this helps...

http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbu...t%20tappet.pdf
Old 07-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
cableguy0

Synthetic oil does not leak more easily.It will however clean all the gunk out of older engines thats packed behind the seals and making them seal. Once all the trash is cleaned out the old,worn or hard seals will begin to leak. Its really not an oil issue. Its a dirty engine issue.Synthetic oil cleans an engine a ton better than regular oil. Before all the zddp problems I always ran amsoil or royal purple in flat tappet engines with 0 issues. If the engine is actually in good shape I would just use synthetic and be done with it. If the bottom end isnt in good shape now I wouldnt bother running synthetic oil. I honestly wouldnt pull the heads and have them rebuilt on an engine with unknown miles and history. Your just asking for issues putting nice tight fresh sealed heads on a worn bottom end. I would keep saving the pennies and just rebuild the entire engine and start fresh. That way you know exactly what you have and the kind of shape its in. There will be no worries for many years.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #13
Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpiotr View Post
Well Ive been talking to a buddy who is a Amsoil Dealer and he has been trying to get me to run Amsoil in my 86 350 GMC for years,

I hate those guys, like vacuum cleaners salesmen all they know is the hard press sale as they rattle off their pre printed speech. couple times a year I get one of them buggin me at the gas pump, like a pan handler wanting change.

both are just pyramid sales as down the line everyone makes money off what you sold on the bottom of the heap. Will not ever trust any product sold in that fashion.

And back to the pushy stuff, we have to boot them scamsoil guys out of our motorcycle forum all the time as its the same deal, hard press spam as the guy on the bottom is barley making a buck while all those above feed off his sales.

put the crap in a bottle and sell it in a store.
Pryamid sales only works for those on top.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote